Moving server to a different host - can state info be moved too?

doron
Go to solution Solved by psykix,

Okay here's a seemingly stupid question, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm thinking of moving my MB3 server instance from one machine (Windows, also desktop) to a different machine (Linux VM, has my other media apps).

Ideally, I'd hate to lose all the state info that has already piled up the current server. Specifically, played/unplayed state would be great, resume data would be super cool.

Let's assume I create the same user name, and make library definitions that are "similar enough".

1. Is there any way to move the state data so that it will be valid in the new server? Copy the db files? Some export-then-import process?

2. If yes, how similar should the library definition be (i.e. how do the "handles" used by server to save state look like)?

Or am I hallucinating?

Thanks for any help.

BATTLE DONKEY

If you are referring to moving your play states (I.e all the watched your watched/unwatched media) I'm not sure what you want to do is technically possible or if it may cause further problems down the line, bu you could always download the trakt plugin, upload your play states to their website and redownload later once your VM MBServer is set up correctly.

• Like 1

Thanks to both of you! (I should have found the referenced post myself.)

Export/import via trakt is a neat idea, but it seems like merely copying the database actually works quite nicely. Cool.

Will have to bookmark this, I'm going to be looking at this soon. Thanks!

Note that up until now my experience was of partial success. Some of the watched/unwatched data moved nicely, some has not (using the database copy method). Still not clear as to why or what the differentiator is, will investigate further when I have more time.