Red and Green bars on active devices on dashboard?

Crestj

Crestj

Can't find an explanation of what these are exactly but I guess the green one is current progress??

Not sure what the red indicates.

Anyone?

Crestj

Ah OK thanks.

Why have a red line for total time if the width of the box is the total time?

• 1 year later...
Smok@zz

Sorry to pull this up from the grave, but why is there a red bar if it is direct playing?

post-22885-0-90144500-1457111950_thumb.jpg

Edited by Smok@zz
  • Like 1

MSattler

Sorry to pull this up from the grave, but why is there a red bar if it is direct playing?

Are you seeing a ffmpeg process running on the emby server?  

I'm curious what happened to the bit rate that used to show.  That was helpful to figure out what bandwidth remote users were using.

Smok@zz

holy crap that was a super quick response!  Thank you.  Yes, there is an ffmpeg process but there shouldn't be - right?

post-22885-0-95097200-1457112227_thumb.jpg

MSattler

holy crap that was a super quick response!  Thank you.  Yes, there is an ffmpeg process but there shouldn't be - right?

Well, it is transcoding so there should be an ffmpeg process, and that is why the bar is red.  For some reason the server is listing direct play/direct stream instead of transcoding.

What client are you using?

What server version are you using?

Smok@zz

That is very strange because it is playing an MP4 file.  However, to your questions - its running from Android TV running 1.1.46g.  Server is 3.0.5881.0

Redshirt

On the now playing tile the Direct Playing / Transcoding text comes from the client. So in this case the client is misreporting that it is direct playing when the server is actually transcoding. In my opinion that status should be supplied by the server not the client since the server knows for sure what's actually going on.

• Like 1

MSattler

That is very strange because it is playing an MP4 file.  However, to your questions - its running from Android TV running 1.1.46g.  Server is 3.0.5881.0

Could depend on the bit rate of the video being played, and codecs as well.  And on the actual device you are playing it on.  For instance FireTV, FireTV Stick, FireTV 2, Nexus Player, Nvidia Shield, and Mvix Android player can all behave somewhat differently because of available bandwidth throughput, and the codecs each player does/does not support.

Smok@zz

On the now playing tile the Direct Playing / Transcoding text comes from the client. So in this case the client is misreporting that it is direct playing when the server is actually transcoding. In my opinion that status should be supplied by the server not the client since the server knows for sure what's actually going on.

I didn't know this - that is interesting that the server trust the client with that type of info.

Could depend on the bit rate of the video being played, and codecs as well.  And on the actual device you are playing it on.  For instance FireTV, FireTV Stick, FireTV 2, Nexus Player, Nvidia Shield, and Mvix Android player can all behave somewhat differently because of available bandwidth throughput, and the codecs each player does/does not support.

My apologies for not specifying - this is running from Nexus Player 6.0.  How can i figure out all that info and then, once i do, what are the min/max ranges that will determine if it is going to transcode or direct play?  Or is not using MP4 (which is supposedly direct stream friendly) the way to go?  

Thanks to you both

Update, my wife is still watching her show and it appears that the red bar went away - so the question now is, why was it there in the first place?  Do you need any log files to look at?

post-22885-0-69539900-1457114018_thumb.jpg

Edited by Smok@zz

MSattler

I didn't know this - that is interesting that the server trust the client with that type of info.

My apologies for not specifying - this is running from Nexus Player 6.0.  How can i figure out all that info and then, once i do, what are the min/max ranges that will determine if it is going to transcode or direct play?  Or is not using MP4 (which is supposedly direct stream friendly) the way to go?  

Thanks to you both

Update, my wife is still watching her show and it appears that the red bar went away - so the question now is, why was it there in the first place?  Do you need any log files to look at?

Not sure why the redbar went away, it could have been that it already transcoded it all but in that case I thought it would stay red.

I've not had much success with the NP personally, although with a OTG adapter and using wired ethernet it did get somewhat better.  You will never get direct play with anything but Kodi on android devices since Android devices have no way to access Samba shares.  Direct Stream is your best bet, which means the server acts as the middle man between the storage and the client, where as direct play the client would go straight to the storage server and play it from there <Assuming your storage is not on your Emby Server>.

Smok@zz

interesting - had to read that a few times, but i think i understand that i am confusing my terms (but only because thats what is being shown to me).  So, the fact that i see direct play is false when it is in fact direct streaming.  I have my storage attached to my emby server no NAS or anything like that.  Would direct stream cause transcoding to happen like this then?  If so, seems like using the word "direct" should be changed to something more intuitive  :)

MSattler

interesting - had to read that a few times, but i think i understand that i am confusing my terms (but only because thats what is being shown to me).  So, the fact that i see direct play is false when it is in fact direct streaming.  I have my storage attached to my emby server no NAS or anything like that.  Would direct stream cause transcoding to happen like this then?  If so, seems like using the word "direct" should be changed to something more intuitive  :)

Lol it's confusing.

So... if there is an ffmpeg processes running you are transcoding.

If there is no ffmpeg processes running, then either you are direct play / direct stream.

Direct play = Emby tells you what share the movie is located on, your player goes to that share and plays it.

Direct Stream = The movie is local to Emby, or the client cannot direct access the share where the movie is, Emby grabs the movie for you and streams it to you as is.

• Like 1

MSattler

Lol it's confusing.

So... if there is an ffmpeg processes running you are transcoding.

If there is no ffmpeg processes running, then either you are direct play / direct stream.

Direct play = Emby tells you what share the movie is located on, your player goes to that share and plays it.

Direct Stream = The movie is local to Emby, or the client cannot direct access the share where the movie is, Emby grabs the movie for you and streams it to you as is.

You are transcoding potentially because:

NP cannot handle the bit rate of the video, maybe the bit rate is set to low within the emby client, or if using audio your bandwidth is not high enough to handle the bit rate of the video.  For instance if the bit rate is 31.5Mbps, but your NP can only get 25Mbps of throughput, it would transcode.

NP cannot handle the video or audio codec of the video itself.

Smok@zz

MSattler - thank you for outlining that for me.  It does clear up my understanding so thank you for taking the time to write that up.  Now for the fix!

When you talk about bitrate - this info comes from the file itself, correct?  I attached a screenshot of the MP4 for you.  Now, i dont know all the in's and out's of what NP can efficiently handle but to me, something that adds up to less than 4Mbps/sec seems low - no?  

post-22885-0-87970600-1457115576_thumb.jpg

Actually, the server doesn't know this in all instances.

In the case of true direct-play, the server isn't even involved so it needs to be told.

The default behavior for bitrate is to determine it automatically at the time of playback so that we can adjust to whatever network conditions may exist at any given point in time.

So, it is possible that your network was very busy for some reason at some point in time that caused the app to determine that only a small amount of bandwidth was available so it adjusted it.  Then, at a different time, the conditions were different and it adjusted again.

Redshirt

Actually, the server doesn't know this in all instances.

In the case of true direct-play, the server isn't even involved so it needs to be told.

That's right, but the client is still notifying the server of progress via the various api endpoints, so when the client says "hey I'm playing something" Can't the server check and see if it's got an active transcode matching that session ID, and otherwise say either direct stream or play depending on whether it's serving the file though https.

MSattler

That's right, but the client is still notifying the server of progress via the various api endpoints, so when the client says "hey I'm playing something" Can't the server check and see if it's got an active transcode matching that session ID, and otherwise say either direct stream or play depending on whether it's serving the file though https.

One of the things I have asked for, for a while now is a way to match ffmpeg pid's to user/session ID's.  I'm not sure that's even being managed, otherwise I imagine this would have been implemented.

Redshirt

does the transcoding url have the deviceId in the url?

Thank you. Yes it had the Device ID but it wasn't the one I was actually using. PlaybackManager autogenerates it's own if you don't use the overloaded constructor. 

That's the red bar, any suggestions why the FPS isn't showing?