Emby cannot access internet on DS920+

dougw03
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

dougw03

Hello,

I am in the process of migrating from a windows based Emby server to Synology  920+ NAS server. On my windows server, I can activate Emby Premier without any issues on the same network. However, on the DSM server, I get a timeout error when it tries to check the license. I contacted Synology and tried all of their suggestions (disable firewall, DOS, etc.) to no avail. I ran into a similar timeout issue with an app called Sonarr. The issue with Sonarr turned out to be related to Mono v5.20 and the way it handles TLS . When I downgraded to Mono 5.8, the timeout issue went away and I have no issues. I suspect something similar is happening on Emby but I have no control over which version of Mono is being used. Emby support confirmed that my machine cannot reach the activation servers. My Emby Premier trial runs out in a few days and I don't know how to activate my license otherwise.

P.S. I'm not sure if this is related, but I cannot access any of the plug-in library and the page just hangs similar to how it hangs on the premier activation page.

8 hours ago, dougw03 said:

I'm not sure if this is related, but I cannot access any of the plug-in library and the page just hangs similar to how it hangs on the premier activation page.

Hi.  Yes, that is related as the process is not able to get out to our servers at all.

@cayars

@ebr I asked @dougw03 to post this here as it started as a TT and I don't know the mono answer.
I was also hoping a community member who runs on Synology might be able to jump in and help with ideas on what's stopping/blocking Emby for communicating with the outside.

Doug, just curious but have you thought about keeping Emby running on the PC and using the NAS just for storage?

dougw03

Hi @cayars

My Windows server is on the fringe of dying and has been overheating so it's only a matter of time before it's no longer available. I was really attracted to the idea of using my NAS as my server and purchased a higher end NAS to consolidate multiple boxes. Hopefully we can find a way to get around this timeout error. I not only need premier access but also depend on a few plugins.

Makes total sense, but I just wanted to ask.

I'm hoping someone here can give ideas, but if not I can do a remote session with you and have a look around to see if together we can figure this out.

Carlo

tomipont

Hi Everyone,

I have the same problem on DS413j. I sent the log to Emby, because of I pay for the Premiere subscription today, and that doesnt work as well...

Best regards

3 hours ago, tomipont said:

Hi Everyone,

I have the same problem on DS413j. I sent the log to Emby, because of I pay for the Premiere subscription today, and that doesnt work as well...

Best regards

Do you see messages in your server log where it can't connect to outside sources?

tomipont

Hi cayars,

No network error, but a lot of timeout:

System.Net.HttpWebRequest.RunWithTimeoutWorker[T] (System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[TResult] workerTask, System.Int32 timeout, System.Action abort, System.Func`1[TResult] aborted, System.Threading.CancellationTokenSource cts) [0x000f8]

Emby server version: 4.4.3.0-1 (no update option)

Synology server: DSM 6.2.4-25556 (Up to date)

I'v got an answer in email:

"You're running an older version it appears which may be contributing to this.
Is it possible for you to upgrade to the latest release version?"

4 hours ago, tomipont said:

"You're running an older version it appears which may be contributing to this.

Is it possible for you to upgrade to the latest release version?"

Yes that was me from our trouble ticket system. :)

1 hour ago, tomipont said:

Sorry. I found the latest version on support page ( https://emby.media/synology-server.html )... I didn't think, that on Synology Package Center isn't the latest version. The 4.5.4.0 is working well!

Best regards

Glad you got this worked out!

Let us know if you have any additional issues.

Carlo

• Thanks 1

dougw03

Hi Carlo,

Unfortunately I am running 4.5.4.0 on the DS920+ and am still having this issue. You suggested a remote screen share earlier. Shall we proceed with this?

6 minutes ago, dougw03 said:

Hi Carlo,

Unfortunately I am running 4.5.4.0 on the DS920+ and am still having this issue. You suggested a remote screen share earlier. Shall we proceed with this?

I don't know Synology setups that well but willing to take a look.  Download and install AnyDesk (www.anydesk.com) and PM me your ID.
When I connect you have to approve the connection and which time I'll share your desktop with you and open chat.

dougw03
1 hour ago, Luke said:

@dougw03 were you able to resolve this?

Hi Luke, thanks for following up. No unfortunately the issue still persists. I'm planning to install anydesk and will try to TR with Carlo either this weekend or sometime next week. I just got a vaccine and am not feeling well today.

• Like 1

Just send me a PM when you're feeling better and we can tackle it then.

Hope you feel better real soon!

dougw03
17 hours ago, Luke said:

First please attach an emby server log in case we can spot anything there. Thanks.

Here you go Luke. Thanks guys

P.S. Is there any way you guys can give me a temporary offline premiere extension license while we sort this out? My trial expires today

embyserver.txt

dougw03
33 minutes ago, cayars said:

Your NAS isn't letting Emby connect to any outside services.

Have you opened up access for Emby Server in the Synology firewall?
https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/connection_security_firewall

Yes I worked with Synology support and ensured the firewall was turned off, DOS protection off, DNS servers configured correctly, etc. It's been pretty frustrating because I've had connection issues with all three apps I want to use on my NAS - Radarr, Sonarr, and Emby. I was finally able to get Sonarr working by downgrading Mono to 5.8. However, Radarr support claims it's not their problem and that it has to be a Synology network setting.  Synology then says it's an app problem and so I'm stuck in between at this point.

I read in another thread online that Mono 5.20 had some TLS security issues which broke Sonarr for many. Myself and others downgraded to 5.8 and that seems to work (until Sonarr drops support for 5.8). I suspect that there's some underlying TLS setting dependency that may be the culprit with Radarr and Emby, but that's just purely speculation at this point.

I myself don't have a Synology so I can't go by first hand knowledge but logic tells me it's something in the configuration of this NAS.

I say that because if it were a Mono issue our forums would be flooded with others not being able to get Emby to work as we have a ton of Synology users and that just isn't the case. Make sense?

If your router creates a log with inbound & outbound connections and you can read it then you could use that to see if connections are even opened from the NAS to start with.

dougw03
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

I myself don't have a Synology so I can't go by first hand knowledge but logic tells me it's something in the configuration of this NAS.

I say that because if it were a Mono issue our forums would be flooded with others not being able to get Emby to work as we have a ton of Synology users and that just isn't the case. Make sense?

If your router creates a log with inbound & outbound connections and you can read it then you could use that to see if connections are even opened from the NAS to start with.

Well from my understanding it seems to be specific models of the Synology NAS that have this Mono issue. I don't know how many of your users are using the DS920+ (new-ish model), but the mono issue does not seem to affect all models.

I'm certainly no networking expert, however, I have my sonarr, radarr, and Emby servers running on a windows PC behind the same router and they all connect without any issues. The only difference between the NAS and windows PC is the NAS is connected via wired LAN and PC is wireless LAN. I don't think that should affect how packets get routed though. I'm not enough of a networking expert to know which router settings would affect this, but if you have any ideas, I'm all for it. I think the facts that both the PC works and Sonarr is working is pretty telling that it is not a router issue. Let me know your thoughts on this. 

No it doesn't sound like a router issue at all but router logs may help.

This just seems like a NAS issue.

If you want we can do a remote session and I can take a look to see if there is anything I see that might cause this.

dougw03
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

No it doesn't sound like a router issue at all but router logs may help.

This just seems like a NAS issue.

If you want we can do a remote session and I can take a look to see if there is anything I see that might cause this.

Yes let's do that. I sent you my anydesk info via PM. Can you let me know when you are available?

If you are running a VPN or the Synology Quick Connect feature, try turning those off.

dougw03
7 hours ago, Luke said:

If you are running a VPN or the Synology Quick Connect feature, try turning those off.

Thanks but neither have been enabled from the start