New Plugin - Rating Poster Database

jaruba

jaruba

I have created a new plugin: https://github.com/jaruba/RPDB-Emby-Plugin

For my new project: https://ratingposterdb.com/

Although I'm a professional developer, this is the first time I used C#, so there are still things to improve.

I was told to post here in order to get a Developer ID to be able to publish the plugin to the Emby catalog.

For all those that want to try it out, DM me and I'll send you a free trial Tier 1 API Keys that will expire on the 15th of May.

There is one issue with the plugin right now, my API gets images based on an URL pattern, some images may be missing (most likely backdrops, as RPDB hosts all known posters), in this case Emby seems to consider a HTTP status code error as valid and sets an empty image as an option.

Alternatively, the RPDB Folders app also works with Emby: https://github.com/jaruba/rpdb-folders (and is more flexible with settings than the plugin for now)

Here are some screenshots of RPDB in action:

smart-tv-1.jpg
smart-tv-2.jpg

web-1.jpg
android-1.jpg

Edited by jaruba
  • Like 3

GrimReaper

That looks really interesting and something I find lacking from Emby's side, had a rant in another thread about Ratings implementation in general, so this is something I'd definitely give a shot. Since I curate my collection by external application (TMM), RPDB Folders would be more down my line. Naturally, I do have some concerns how it will affect my existing posters and backdrops (which are in folder.jpg/fanart.jpg format), so they should not clash with poster.jpg/background.jpg RPDB Folders creates (as per your repo: "Monitors Media Folders and Adds Images with Ratings (poster.jpg/background.jpg) from the RPDB API.") - kindly confirm. Checked your Patreon, I will give a Tier 2 or Tier 3 a trial run for a month as Tier 1 is severely restricted. 

@Luke, could you pls explain what is internal logic in cases where there are both poster.jpg and folder.jpg / background.jpg and fanart.jpg present in the media folder: which one takes precedence, does the other remain untouched or gets purged/deleted(!), can either be made primary by default? Thanks.

2 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

@Luke, could you pls explain what is internal logic in cases where there are both poster.jpg and folder.jpg / background.jpg and fanart.jpg present in the media folder: which one takes precedence, does the other remain untouched or gets purged/deleted(!), can either be made primary by default? Thanks.

@cayars can point you to our help topics on this. Thanks.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

could you pls explain what is internal logic in cases where there are both poster.jpg and folder.jpg / background.jpg and fanart.jpg present in the media folder: which one takes precedence, does the other remain untouched or gets purged/deleted(!), can either be made primary by default? Thanks.

See the KB Video Image section.

Emby Movie Naming : Emby

• Like 1

GrimReaper

@Happy2Play @cayars Thanks to both of you, but I do know where the KB article is and have read it: it says only the order images are checked for, not what actually happens (which was what I asked) when there are multiples, as with fanart1, fanart2 and so on: does the other gets displayed/rotated? Since folder takes precedence over poster, can I make poster default or have to manually select each item? 

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, GrimReaper76 said:

@Happy2Play @cayars Thanks to both of you, but I do know where the KB article is and have read it: it says only the order images are checked for, not what actually happens (which was what I asked) when there are multiples, as with fanart1, fanart2 and so on: does the other gets displayed/rotated? Since folder takes precedence over poster, can I make poster default or have to manually select each item? 

Fanart yes it will rotate.  Portraits do not rotate and only server provides priority, so if you have both you will need to rename or remove to use the one you want.

• Like 2

jaruba

So where do we go from here? How do I receive a Developer ID and how can I get the plugin listed in Emby's catalog?

On 4/12/2021 at 1:24 PM, jaruba said:

So where do we go from here? How do I receive a Developer ID and how can I get the plugin listed in Emby's catalog?

Hi.  As we discussed in PM, let's give this a little time for people to try out and report any issues and for us to see what kind of interest there is.

Thanks.

jaruba

@ebr

Well alright, I'm not sure how much fame this one post will get though..

If you want to move things along faster, I already know there's interest in this project and can provide proof of interest in a PM with an extract of the Patreon earnings for the past 2 months since RPDB's beta release. As for the plugin, it's pretty straight forward.. the API provides posters and backdrops based on a URL pattern, and supports any movie / series ID (IMDB / TMDB / TVDB) in order to fetch these images, these IDs are gotten from Emby and IMDB IDs are prioritised (if available). The code of this plugin is a stripped down version of the Fanart plugin, the one issue that i've currently encountered with it is mentioned in the initial post, which is that the plugin can't know if the images (added based on a URL pattern) return a 200 HTTP status code or not before adding them to Emby, and Emby seems to consider them valid regardless of the status code. (i've seen a backdrop that was unavailable show as an empty image in Emby..)

I'm pretty sure this can be fixed though, I'll try dedicating more time to it this weekend. To note that there are Jellyfin and Plex plugins too, as well as 3x Stremio plugins that use RPDB and a separate app that injects images into Emby / Jellyfin / Plex / Kodi through the use of poster.jpg and background.jpg by monitoring folder changes within media folders.

horstepipe

Hello

about that http issue, so currently how will this end here? Will we get lots of blank images just with ratings at the bottom?

jaruba

@horstepipe No, when the issue happens it will be a blank image without ratings, I'm sure I can fix this in the weekend, I'm just away for my setup until then. For posters, even with the current issue in the plugin you might never actually see it happen. It only happens for images that are not (or are not yet) available on RPDB, which for posters is 1 in a million, as RPDB holds and updates hundreds of thousands of posters, so not finding a poster is next to impossible.. It might happen with backdrops though, because not all movies and series (especially very old ones) have backdrops.

• Thanks 1

jaruba

To note, backdrops can be enabled / disabled from the plugin settings, so you can use it without backdrops too, and I don't think you will have any issues.

• Thanks 1

bakes82

IDK how many people are going to pay for this as a monthly sub price, if it was like a 20$ lifetime maybe but 7$ a month is overrated when you can see these rating one level in, or just "sort" by ratings.  Also arent plex plugins not support and probably violate their TOS, you might want to check that ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

IDK how many people are going to pay for this as a monthly sub price, if it was like a 20$ lifetime maybe but 7$ a month is overrated when you can see these rating one level in, or just "sort" by ratings.  Also arent plex plugins not support and probably violate their TOS, you might want to check that ;)

You can sort of do this already in Emby 4.6 like this:
image.png.8f07e527df91d152db518b66361953b0.png

The ratings are displayed under the graphic so it doesn't need to shrink the graphic to fit either. :)

Same with TV Shows:

image.png.89755aace9874eac3afc2477809f0c79.png

Edited by cayars

jaruba

@bakes82 There is a lot of interest, actually, and there are lifetime offers too due to popular demand. Plex plugins are still supported, although undocumented, the development of a plugin cannot be against their ToS. This is the Emby forum though, I'd prefer it if we stay on topic.

@cayars That's great! There are still many differences and advantage to using RPDB though. Does adding internal features for this mean that you will not accept it to the plugin catalog, though? 😐

It's similar but not the same as being right on the image or even getting better covers. No this would have nothing to do with getting in the catalog. I'm not involved in that process but would assume it's based on demand, history and track record like being able to work with releases and beta etc but you would likely know better than I since you've chatted with Eric about it directly and I haven't. :)

I really like the way the rating look on the graphics especially when used with the coverart plugin as they complement each other nicely. Some of the things like sorting by rating, filters in the newer builds I think will complement your plugin nicely.

BTW, what ratings is the middle one (m)?

jaruba

@cayars 

BTW, what ratings is the middle one (m)?

That's metacritic, I've been getting various feature requests for other types of ratings as well, such as Letterboxd, the system is flexible enough to support pretty much anything at this point.

but would assume it's based on demand

Although I have hundreds of users of the service right now, in less than a month.. I'm uncertain of how I could get more users to this post, I guess time will tell if it becomes popular or not.

I'm very happy you chose to show ratings in the catalog btw. As a rating buff, this was one of the primary reasons why I created this service.

• Like 1

horstepipe
17 hours ago, cayars said:

You can sort of do this already in Emby 4.6 like this:
image.png.8f07e527df91d152db518b66361953b0.png

The ratings are displayed under the graphic so it doesn't need to shrink the graphic to fit either. :)

Same with TV Shows:

image.png.89755aace9874eac3afc2477809f0c79.png

where? never saw that

7 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

where? never saw that

It's in the 4.6 Beta.  Click the 3 dot menu next to filter up top in the main library view and you can select what shows up.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
PowerXDrive

7 bulks monthly, thats is the price of my vps hosting to my home, nevermind i will pay for ratting plugin, the dev must review this price, but a voucher will be welcome

• Like 1

kikinjo
2 hours ago, PowerXDrive said:

7 bulks monthly, thats is the price of my vps hosting to my home, nevermind i will pay for ratting plugin, the dev must review this price, but a voucher will be welcome

Completely agree about pricing, even lifetime option pricing is much pumped.