Non-Premier Emby user getting a "Pay To Unlock" on Fire TV

Markajv

Markajv

I have been using Emby on 2 different TV's in my home. Both TV's have a Roku and a FireTV. Yesterday I turned on my FireTV in one of the rooms and went to the EMBY app. It opened as usual but when I tried to play a movie from my own server/library it went to a screen asking me to unlock for $4.98. I am NOT getting the same issue with ROKU. Can anyone tell me what's going on? Has emby started to charge for the app without notice? Do I have to go back to plex?? or is this a glitch.

Gilgamesh_48

The Roku app is free the Fire TV app is not. The $4.98 is a one time fee to unlock playback for that account on all Fire devices. It is also required, separately, for Android devices.

It is not new but you may have just avoided the charge for some time. (You may have had a Premier account at one time and the need for a charge just missed you for a while after your Premier expired.

Emby made the Roku app free for everyone I think due to negative feed back when they tried to produce a paid app. It may also have been a problem with Roku's billing system or it could have Emby just being "good guys."

My advice is to either get a Premier license or pay the one time fee. When I was first trying Emby I paid to unlock all my apps but after a short time I bought a lifetime Premier license. I did not expect or get a refund for the Fire or Emby apps. Five dollars, or ten if you need to activate an Android app as well, is little enough to pay for the use of Emby.

I do not recommend going back to Plex as Plex is all about the money and you will, probably, get monetary hits of various kinds. Also the Plex universe is very different, in a bad way, from Emby's universe. But each to their own and I know people who are using Plex and are very pleased with it. There's no accounting for taste after all there are people that actually like spandex.

Oh, there is another option. Get another Roku or three and forget about the Fire completely. You can get a Roku Premier for less than $40.00 and even an Ultra for under $85.00. There are often even better deals.

• Thanks 1

Spaceboy

the thing i always find remarkable about these threads is that people value their own time so little.

i charge myself out at way over the rate it would cost in time to switch from emby to plex as opposed to paying a $5 fee. but i guess some people are cheap in all senses of the word.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Katev121439

@Gilgamesh_48 

Thank you for the information. I honestly did not know this. I would think there would be a price in the app store on the app. Not afterwards. I appreciate your help. 

@Spaceboy. So f'in rude! 

• Haha 1

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, Katev121439 said:

@Gilgamesh_48 

Thank you for the information. I honestly did not know this. I would think there would be a price in the app store on the app. Not afterwards. I appreciate your help. 

@Spaceboy. So f'in rude! 

You are not actually paying for the app but rather you are paying for the app's rights to playback content served by an Emby server.

That is why a premier license unlocks most apps while you have to pay for most apps if you do not have premier. It is just two different ways to pay for the same functionality.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Katev121439 said:

I would think there would be a price in the app store on the app. Not afterwards.

Hi.  If we did that, we couldn't have free apps for Premiere - or we'd have to maintain two separate apps which is a bigger confusion.  The app store listing does denote in bold text how it works.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
GregMo

So I came here because I also have been using a Roku and just today bought a Fire Stick and am seeing the nag prompt every time a video starts.  I agree with those that say that $5 to unlock it isn't a lot but at the same time I almost feel like it's a bait and switch.  Had I known this would have been the issue I likely would have just gotten another Roku.  This should be  prominent on the webpage that mentions using Emby on the Firestick so people know that going in.

• 8 months later...
davidlongmire
On 11/04/2021 at 11:57, Spaceboy said:

the thing i always find remarkable about these threads is that people value their own time so little.

i charge myself out at way over the rate it would cost in time to switch from emby to plex as opposed to paying a $5 fee. but i guess some people are cheap in all senses of the word.

it takes like 5 mins to download plex and have it scan my libraries lmao

• Haha 1

Spaceboy
2 hours ago, davidlongmire said:

it takes like 5 mins to download plex and have it scan my libraries lmao

and you are cheap :D 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
GrimReaper
38 minutes ago, DHeliV24 said:

It’s $5 a month not one time… 

For full-playback, it's single, one-off payment for app unlock. For Premiere Features (like LiveTV), subscription is required (Monthly, Anually, Lifetime), as stipulated in Feature Matrix:

On 5/9/2021 at 12:35 PM, cayars said:

Hi, this is right from the store page
image.thumb.png.3ae64f8bbe7ced9566d80711a30e2eb1.png

You can also get a VERY CLEAR view of all apps looking at the KB Matrix
https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001173099

It won't cost anything for client use of Emby's Live TV on any app for one reason.
In order to use Live TV you have to already have Emby Premiere as it's a Premiere Feature.

Part of the benefit of having Emby Premiere is the full unlocking of all client features on any Emby client you wish to use up to your license limit.
At a minimum that's 25 hardware devices using Premiere features on top of any devices or PC browsers not actively using Emby Features.

Devices not active in a week drop off your Premiere count so your not panelized for devices not actively being used.
Refer to the matrix/tables in this KB article to quickly and thoroughly understand this:
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix 

Carlo

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2023 at 11:29 AM, Jaxter94 said:

Does anyone know how I can buy the unlock feature I can’t find it anywhere? 

Did you try what ebr mentioned above?
Did that work for you?

Carlo

• 2 months later...
Cheetz007

Thanks for that initial explanation. I have both roku and fire TV, I find my roku struggles sometimes so I switch to the fire. I think 5 bucks is very good vfm so no sweat at all. I was just a bit worried that it was some kind of scam. But if the money goes to the ppl that keep it all working then it's money well spent.