Shield / Android TV set up questions

justinrh

justinrh

I just got me super Emby hardware - the NVIDIA Shield is awesome!  🤩  Top notch!  Good bye Plex!

1. In a movie details page, how can I show the file details (like on the web player)?
  2. There is some interplay between the Android TV app and the server that doesn't jive.  I can set "Home screen section 1" in the user's "Home Screen" page on the server, then that messes up the TV app.  I change the TV app home screen layout and that blanks out section 1 on the server user config page.  It acts like home screen 1 on the server is not home screen 1 on the TV app.  (Did the old 0-based index in the screen array get ya?)
  3. When I set up the Emby app on the first Shield, I was asked to go to emby.media/pin and type in the pin the app gave.  The web site said 'ok - got the pin' for the pin, but the app wouldn't connect, so I just used the manual configuration and got on with it.
  4. When I installed the app on the second Shield I wasn't asked for the server info - it was already connected (but not logged in).  How did that happen?

Again, I want to thank the Emby team for a great media server, with some really nice functionality!  Let me also say how important it is to me for you to support the users on this forum - it makes a huge difference.

12 hours ago, justinrh said:

In a movie details page, how can I show the file details (like on the web player)?

Go into the app general settings and select "Debug Options"

I can set "Home screen section 1" in the user's "Home Screen" page on the server, then that messes up the TV app.  I change the TV app home screen layout and that blanks out section 1 on the server user config page.  It acts like home screen 1 on the server is not home screen 1 on the TV app

The web app won't automatically refresh those changes you made in Android TV so, I think, that makes it so that they can appear out of sync sometimes.  Try this. With a brand new user, bring up the home screen layout settings in Android TV and set them how you wish.  Then go log into that user in the web app and go to their home screen settings.  Do they match?

When I set up the Emby app on the first Shield, I was asked to go to emby.media/pin and type in the pin the app gave.  The web site said 'ok - got the pin' for the pin, but the app wouldn't connect, so I just used the manual configuration and got on with it.

We would have to look at the specifics for that case to know exactly what was happening there.

When I installed the app on the second Shield I wasn't asked for the server info - it was already connected (but not logged in).  How did that happen?

The app scans your local network for an Emby server and connects to it if it finds one.

FrostByte
18 hours ago, justinrh said:
  1. In a movie details page, how can I show the file details (like on the web player)?

6 hours ago, ebr said:

Go into the app general settings and select "Debug Options"

I think that moved to "Showed Extended Information" recently

2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I think that moved to "Showed Extended Information" recently

That is only in beta right now but, yes, that will be the way in the next release.

• Like 1

justinrh
9 hours ago, ebr said:
21 hours ago, justinrh said:

When I installed the app on the second Shield I wasn't asked for the server info - it was already connected (but not logged in).  How did that happen?

The app scans your local network for an Emby server and connects to it if it finds one.

Then why didn't the first Shield find the server?

The behavior you describe is what I expected, but it didn't happen for the first one.

Just now, justinrh said:

Then why didn't the first Shield find the server?

The behavior you describe is what I expected, but it didn't happen for the first one.

Something either on the device or on your server at the time, may have been blocking the UDP messages.

• Like 1

justinrh

Here's how to reproduce issue 2:

1) in web app, open config -> Home Screen, configure like this:
     image.png.e1cb60bafe51ec20066f03b404a1e448.png

2) in the Android TV app, open settings -> Home screen Layout
    - observe it looks like above
    - exit settings
    - exit Emby app

3) in web app, open config -> Home Screen, observe the blank section 1:
image.png.d20ae8b121493cefbd4460b0b4ea0cd1.png

Now you can fix it in the web app, rinse and repeat.

image.png

On 4/9/2021 at 9:16 AM, ebr said:

Try this. With a brand new user, bring up the home screen layout settings in Android TV and set them how you wish.  Then go log into that user in the web app and go to their home screen settings.  Do they match?

Hi.  Did you try the above?  What were the results?

justinrh
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Did you try the above?  What were the results?

No, I haven't.  How would that be different than the user I am using now?  Either way, there is a bug, correct?

5 minutes ago, justinrh said:

No, I haven't.  How would that be different than the user I am using now?  Either way, there is a bug, correct?

I understand but I'm trying to discover exactly what the issue is.  What version of the server are you using?

justinrh
50 minutes ago, ebr said:

I understand but I'm trying to discover exactly what the issue is.  What version of the server are you using?

image.png.a4db31354e0c33300595da635a4481a5.png  (why isn't this text selectable??)  I think I illustrated the issue and workflow above.  What is missing?  Simply going into and out of Home Screen settings shouldn't blank out section 1.  In fact, since 'blank' is not even a valid entry, a section should never be 'blank', right?  That is the issue.

3 hours ago, justinrh said:

image.png.a4db31354e0c33300595da635a4481a5.png  (why isn't this text selectable??)  I think I illustrated the issue and workflow above.  What is missing?  Simply going into and out of Home Screen settings shouldn't blank out section 1.  In fact, since 'blank' is not even a valid entry, a section should never be 'blank', right?  That is the issue.

I understand but I cannot reproduce that behavior on either 4.5.4 or 4.6 beta so I'm just looking for clues.