Clients forcing Youtube trailers

roaku

roaku

I've noticed that the trailer icon is showing up for movies in the single item view in the Android app (v3.1.80) and web client (likely others) when I don't have local trailers for them.

When I click the trailer icon, Emby (server v4.5.4.0) tries to playback youtube trailers.

I don't have the trailers plugin installed, and I don't want Emby to ever try to play anything that isn't *my* media stored locally. And I don't want to see a trailer icon unless *I* have the trailer for the movie.

But I can't find any way to turn this behavior off.

So far, this isn't happening on the Roku app, which is my primary client, but I fear it's on the way.

demo-man.png.630cfaebdc3b6707050b777bb557f4af.png

------------------------------

Beyond wanting to just turn it off, I'm also having issues with the function of the feature.

For Demolition Man, the youtube trailer isn't authorized, so it can't playback. Emby shows the unauthorized error, but gets stuck on that screen, both in the web app and Android. I have to alter the url to get the web app working again and close out the android app to get it working again.

Also, when I add a local trailer to a movie Emby has already decided to link to a youtube trailer, I have to manually run 'scan media library' before Emby will drop the youtube trailer and start using my local trailer.

Edited by roaku

Hi, this comes from moviedb. We don't currently have any more granular control other than turning that off altogether.

roaku

And it looks like the 'trailer' metadata field isn't exposed through the MD Manager UI, so even if I bulk edited my .nfos to remove the trailer data, I still couldn't lock that field from further updates.

And turning off a major metadata provider altogether just because Emby is being presumptuous about using that metadata isn't a viable solution for me.

Not great.

I think I'll open a feature request to add the ability to opt out of any playback of external content.

Seems like it should be possible with Emby to have my media (and only my media) my way.

rbjtech

It's a fudge, but if you copy an empty trailer.mkv into the folder - it will use this instead.

I created a blank mkv with 1 blank frame - you click on the trailer icon now and it immediate returns you to the menu again - effectively ignoring the trailer button...

• Like 1

roaku

Thanks, but I actually use the trailer functionality and don't want to see the trailer button unless I have a trailer(s) in my library for that movie.

roaku

Now in feature request form:

48 minutes ago, roaku said:

Emby is being presumptuous about using that metadata

Why is this one field of data any more "presumptuous" than any other?  It is data provided by the provider just like any other piece of data (which could also derive to outside parties).

roaku
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Why is this one field of data any more "presumptuous" than any other?  It is data provided by the provider just like any other piece of data (which could also derive to outside parties).

There's a massive difference, to me at least, between Emby displaying the text string a metadata provider provides for a movie's title and Emby launching an external player to play external content without my knowledge or permission because that metadata provider put a youtube link in a trailer field.

Marc_G

Just my two cents here as a perspective, I'm with @roaku on this. I recall, sometime in Emby/MB's past, there was a feature that seemed to be on by default that, for series I had but which were incomplete in my collection, it showed the episodes I DIDN'T have media for. It drove me nuts.

One of the kind and responsive mods here helped me turn off this dreaded feature.

The key point being that I don't want emby showing / displaying / acknowledging the existence of content I don't own. Trailers would be included in this. I'll be honest; I don't pay attention to trailers so this hasn't specifically bugged me, but in principle I can see how annoying it would be.

skidmarks

I believe, within the last year, i mentioned in the roku forum that i did not want to see youtube "trailers" incorporated into the app.  The reply from @ebr said it was not possible or maybe that it just wasn't going to come to roku?

I have trailers locally stored so it doesn't really effect me, but lets hope i recalled that post correctly and if so that is still the case.

Edited by skidmarks

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, skidmarks said:

I believe, within the last year, i mentioned in the roku forum that i did not want to see youtube "trailers" incorporated into the app.  The reply from @ebr said it was not possible or maybe that it just wasn't going to come to roku?

I have trailers locally stored so it doesn't really effect me, but lets hope i recalled that post correctly and if so that is still the case.

Roku will not allow YouTube trailers to be launched within Emby.  They have to go thru the YouTube channel.  So url trailers are disable only in Emby Roku clients.

• Like 1

Roku does not have a web browser. We cannot launch an intent correctly.

For YouTube video to play within Emby on Roku would violate their TOS which states that you can only "embed" their video player (which contains their content) into your application. It is usually easy to do this if the application supports javascript. The Roku does not. This makes it impossible to embed.

The only way is to pass the user into the YouTube application and launch YouTube into the trailer requested and begin immediate playback. After this trailer is finished playing the YouTube app does not return the user back into the Emby application where the user previously was. The user is now inside YouTube. That does not provide a seamless experience. It is clumsy at best. That clumsy behavior increases the "bounce rate" for Emby. The bounce rate is when users leave your application before playing any video. A high bounce rate is a sign of an application that does not attract users. It lowers your value to search having a high bounce rate. This puts you lower on the search results farther down in ranking. We do not want this to occur.

The fact you are stuck in YouTube along with the bounce rate issue means this would hurt Emby more than it would promote it. Hopefully everyone understands. ^_^

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

Happy2Play
15 minutes ago, speechles said:

Hopefully everyone understands. ^_^

They do as they do not want online trailers at all.  So all clients ignore trailer url metadata, like the Roku.