Asus Router

arche

arche

After having many problems with the Linksys E1200 router, I went and purchased the Asus RT-AC66R router today. Talk about a big difference, MB server is flying and Chromecast works like a champ. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this router and if there is anything I should look out for or setup. I am still working on the settings, but would like to know if anyone else is using this router.

Thanks

No but i have the RT-N66U which is a couple years old but still very good. I enjoyed similar improvements when I bought it.

psykix

After having many problems with the Linksys E1200 router, I went and purchased the Asus RT-AC66R router today. Talk about a big difference, MB server is flying and Chromecast works like a champ. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this router and if there is anything I should look out for or setup. I am still working on the settings, but would like to know if anyone else is using this router.

Thanks

I had a RT-AC66U and had no end of problems with it - it seemed to drop wireless connections every few days and required a reboot to get it working again.

I now have 2 x RT-AC68U routers, with one configured as just an AP to provide extended wifi coverage.

One thing with the Asus routers - run Merlin Firmware on them - it has some nice improvements and Asus often adopt his improvements into the official firmware.

You can get the firmwares here : http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7846

arche

I had a RT-AC66U and had no end of problems with it - it seemed to drop wireless connections every few days and required a reboot to get it working again.

I now have 2 x RT-AC68U routers, with one configured as just an AP to provide extended wifi coverage.

One thing with the Asus routers - run Merlin Firmware on them - it has some nice improvements and Asus often adopt his improvements into the official firmware.

You can get the firmwares here : http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7846

Have you had any issues with the router after the Merlin Firmware? I just did a firmware upgrade that they released last month, not saying this will fix anything I am just wondering. Also, are you running the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz, just wondering if there is a noticeable difference as my old router had no ability for this.

psykix

I run 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on separate SSIDs.

I use InSSIDer to scan the local area and pick channels for both routers apart from each other and that don't overlap.

I would run just 5Ghz if I could, but some things like the Wii U won't do 5Ghz.

When I used to have an AC66U as my main router it was fine. When I got a AC68U and then used the AC66U as the extra AP was when I ran into issues with it.

Merlin firmware is superb - would suggest having a read of the threads on Smallnetbuilder and giving it a whirl if you haven't already.

arche

Will definitely have to read up on the Merlin Firmware. Had alot of problems with the dd-wrt firmware for linksys. That was just a sloppy mess for me.

psykix

I did used to use Tomato once upon a time, but it doesn't get updated often enough really and there were some performance (throughput) issues.

I use Merlin all the time now.

techywarrior

No but i have the RT-N66U which is a couple years old but still very good. I enjoyed similar improvements when I bought it.

I have the same router. Love it. Signal strength is amazing (compared to similar priced routers)... not that it helps you with the AC66 (but I would hope they kept the quality up with the new model)

arche

Well I had my first router crash this morning with no weefee working, lan worked fine but nothing else.

Time to try the Merlin Firmware.

psykix

Well I had my first router crash this morning with no weefee working, lan worked fine but nothing else.

Time to try the Merlin Firmware.

Sounds like a similar problem I had all the time with the AC66U. I returned the AC66U and replaced it with an AC68U and have had no such issues since.

arche

Are you using the Merlin firmware on the AC68U? I am trying to figure out what the difference is between the AC68U and the AC68R.

• 1 year later...
futrader8

Bumping an old thread here hoping someone here can help.  I just purchased a new Asus RT-AC68U and I cant get any of my clients on my home network to recognize my Emby server.  I've tried Kodi on my Sheild TV, Emby app on Sheild TV, and Emby on Roku...none of them can find the server.  I've even tried manually entering the server IP address with no luck.  I'm having the same issue with ServerWMC not being recognizable on my home network as well.  Plex works fine and is automatically detected.  I'm sure there is a setting that i am missing in the router setup that is causing all of these headaches.  Windows firewall settings on the server are the same as they were with my old router where everything worked perfectly.  Any ideas?

JeremyFr79

I finally got sick of "consumer" grade routers and built a PFSense box and have never looked back.  You can easily go out and get or even may have the parts lying around to build a PFSense router/firewall, add a good WAP or 2 to the mix and have network nirvana at home!

Bumping an old thread here hoping someone here can help.  I just purchased a new Asus RT-AC68U and I cant get any of my clients on my home network to recognize my Emby server.  I've tried Kodi on my Sheild TV, Emby app on Sheild TV, and Emby on Roku...none of them can find the server.  I've even tried manually entering the server IP address with no luck.  I'm having the same issue with ServerWMC not being recognizable on my home network as well.  Plex works fine and is automatically detected.  I'm sure there is a setting that i am missing in the router setup that is causing all of these headaches.  Windows firewall settings on the server are the same as they were with my old router where everything worked perfectly.  Any ideas?

Hi, I would take a look at our Connectivity Troubleshooter. Please try the steps listed there and let us know where you get stuck. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
invertedknife

i have had problems with my router crashing if i turn off the tv without stopping the emby playback using samsung MU7000 native app. 

Sammy

i have had problems with my router crashing if i turn off the tv without stopping the emby playback using samsung MU7000 native app. 

What model?

I just upgraded to an Asus RT-AC3100 from the RT-AC68U which was starting to get a little taxed with nearly 50 clients on line at all times and others, including guests, on and off bringing it to even more.

I converted the RT-AC68U to an AiMesh node and got a $50 T-Mobile TM-AC1900 that I flashed to be another RT-AC68U for yet another node. Did someone say FULL Coverage!

invertedknife

What model?

I just upgraded to an Asus RT-AC3100 from the RT-AC68U which was starting to get a little taxed with nearly 50 clients on line at all times and others, including guests, on and off bringing it to even more.

I converted the RT-AC68U to an AiMesh node and got a $50 T-Mobile TM-AC1900 that I flashed to be another RT-AC68U for yet another node. Did someone say FULL Coverage!

i have a netgear R6700v2. I only use emby for personal use. 

Sammy

i have a netgear R6700v2. I only use emby for personal use. 

Sorry, I don't know much about netgear routers but this thread is titled Asus Routers so I assumed yours was too.

To clarify, the clients I indicate above are clients connected to my router, not clients connected to Emby bu there's that too. A few friends and family have user accounts plus we use it on the go too so there's that load on the router as well even though maybe only one to three Emby Clients are connected at any given time.

As far as crashing your router, IDK what is causing that but it should not be happening by merely turning off you TV with Emby running.

mastrmind11

if your router is crashing, there's someting else wrong.  I have router(s)  up 24/7 for years to the point i don't even consider them  part of my infrastructure.