TV series metadata not scanning correctly

JackdawVaughan
Go to solution Solved by gillmacca01,

JackdawVaughan

Hi, I have a generally well set up media library but I am really struggling with QI specifically. I have many TV series that are in series name> season number folder structure and they are all correct. I have some QI episodes in the same structure but they are not reading correctly no matter what I try.

As a brief summary: the default metadata search gives totally wrong results. If I enter the IMDB code for the overall series it gets confused about what files are where and thinks one season is all the files and doesn't group all the other seasons with it. I tried adding .nfo files to show which folder was which season but that resulted in 6 different 'shows' in my main folder with no grouping. Below are screenshots:

Here is the folder structure
image.png.468d5d18a207d6be7268c4a2b92dceb2.png

And the default scanning of the files gives incorrect data and groups as 6 separate shows:

image.thumb.png.f4cff186712f5f1df21ac8f4be3b7e6d.png

If I delete all incorrect metadata and enter an IMDB ID into all of the seasons it looks fine in folder view but in the 'shows' tab it is separate shows. This also gets entirely deleted if I update the metadata (using the 'add missing' gets the incorrect show again).

image.thumb.png.11b9aace7ff814d7686af1fa9561f4d1.png

I tried editing the .nfo files and it didn't have season numbers on the seasons and wasn't grouped in the shows tab.

image.thumb.png.607cbf57225cd408976eb7a23c7b9f7a.png

Help please!

image.png

Hello JackdawVaughan,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

gillmacca01

Have you tried changing the series name from the letter to the number (e.g. series 1)?

Also how are you files named?

JackdawVaughan

@gillmacca01 I did rename the series to numbers rather than letters and it had the same issueimage.thumb.png.67f4ac2c2602e0e283c6801994be7a43.png

The episodes are titled QI - [series letter] E[episode number] - [topic] - [panelists]

image.png.604233479000196acbaba66755d6a9b6.png

I could try renaming all the files (it would take a lot of manual editing though :(

image.png

Edited by JackdawVaughan
duplicate image removed

gillmacca01

Unless someone says otherwise, I believe it is the filenaming.

Example: First one should be: QI - S1E01 - Adam (same way it is displayed on TVDB)

QI - SAE01 might work, but never tried it

Edited by gillmacca01

JackdawVaughan

I went through and renamed all the episodes (already renamed the folders) to the format you suggested.

image.png.ebc8030452256af028d5dd30809366d7.png

I then re-scanned files and refreshed metadata on Emby which gave the same result as before. I then went through all seasons and manually scrubbed the metadata (in case the previous bad data was influencing the result) and did another file scan and metadata refresh. This did a little better, it has the correct season titles at least (manually entered but at least they weren't overwritten). Unfortunately there was no more metadata and the seasons weren't grouped in show view.

image.thumb.png.6a6caf02c6fbd0a2a4e01fee09f5ba59.png

• Solution
gillmacca01

Can you try removing the series from your TV folder, run a library scan, confirm QI is not being displayed in Emby, and then re-add QI to your TV folder (video files only, no nfo/jpg's, etc).

if you want you can recreate the QI folder, and first season folder, and add the files one at a time, confirming each one is displayed in Emby, until you hit a display issue

• Like 1

On IMDB the show is called 'Quite Interesting' listed as 'QI' with a show number or ID of tt0380136 the Seasons are number 1 - whatever as are the episodes.. 

QI (TV Series 2003– ) - Reference View - IMDb

Quite Interesting S01E01 - Pilot

QI S01E01 - Pilot

On TVDB the was found as 'QI', and id of 72716 the Series name was Series A but still lists as S01E01 on their own site.

QI S01E01 - Pilot

QI - TheTVDB.com

I would take that to mean something like this.. \\TV\QI\Season 1 - Series A\QI S01E01 - Pilot.mp4

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would try a season by itself first and see how it goes but the folder structure and naming convention would be the first place to start. IMO ;)

You can use batch editing programs/metadata editing to help you along with this.. My favorite of all though is MetaX

It will allow you to plug in ID numbers, default covers, and metadata information that can be read on initial scans that will help a great deal with the other functions of programs and Emby. I have used it on all of mine. Helps you blaze through this sort of thing.. Even the free version can help with editing a few things.. 

Advanced Renamer can also be of help for simple file renaming tasks, and can be used from your file data as well..

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: Before you do this I would remove the files from the Library first, if possible; if not I would do a rescan of the Library after.

Edited by Guest

JackdawVaughan

We have a fix! A combo of all of the suggestions seems to have done it.

2 hours ago, emdubya77 said:

Is it possible the parent folder is throwing it off? Try renaming to just 'QI' or 'QI (2003)'

Just a thought

It was originally named QI, and I changed it over to Quite Interesting so as to try and help the search. I have changed it back now and it seems it's working.

43 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

On IMDB the show is called 'Quite Interesting' listed as 'QI' with a show number or ID of tt0380136 the Seasons are number 1 - whatever as are the episodes.. 

QI (TV Series 2003– ) - Reference View - IMDb

Quite Interesting S01E01 - Pilot

QI S01E01 - Pilot

On TVDB the was found as 'QI', and id of 72716 the Series name was Series A but still lists as S01E01 on their own site.

QI S01E01 - Pilot

QI - TheTVDB.com

I would take that to mean something like this.. \\TV\QI\Season 1 - Series A\QI S01E01 - Pilot.mp4

I would try a season by itself first and see how it goes but the folder structure and naming convention would be the first place to start. IMO ;)

You can use batch editing programs/metadata editing to help you along with this.. My favorite of all though is MetaX

It will allow you to plug in ID numbers, default covers, and metadata information that can be read on initial scans that will help a great deal with the other functions of programs and Emby. I have used it on all of mine. Helps you blaze through this sort of thing.. Even the free version can help with editing a few things.. 

Advanced Renamer can also be of help for simple file renaming tasks, and can be used from your file data as well..

I did some manual (one by one 😧 ) renames so it's S01E01 format which seems to help, as did removing all the panelist names (which is sad because I like having them there but oh well). Thanks for the metadata tool rec!

2 hours ago, gillmacca01 said:

Can you try removing the series from your TV folder, run a library scan, confirm QI is not being displayed in Emby, and then re-add QI to your TV folder (video files only, no nfo/jpg's, etc).

if you want you can recreate the QI folder, and first season folder, and add the files one at a time, confirming each one is displayed in Emby, until you hit a display issue

This seems to have done it in the end (plus file renames beforehand). Really weird because I literally just moved them and put them back *sigh*. I guess giving Emby a clean slate is what was needed. Thanks for sticking with me to fix it, very appreciated :)

Edited by JackdawVaughan
Removing superfluous image
  • Like 1