Hardware Acceleration Issue

qiaqiaxian

TalNum
7 hours ago, qiaqiaxian said:

I installed 4.6.0.36 .spk  and hardware acceleration works well.I didn't change any settings.

I don't know how this happened

This is the exact same scenario that happened to me on my DS920+. Did you recently upgrade the DSM firmware? There appears to also be a couple somewhat recent updates to the 918+ as well. I found in two separate instances, both after DSM firmware updates, that this occurred for me too. Once while on Emby stable, then once again while on beta.

The TL;DR of my situation was: No definitive reason was found/investigated for the hardware encoders/decoders disappearing. I believe it to be linked to DSM updates. Do not update DSM firmware unless Emby has a newer package to manually install.

Edited by TalNum
Links

qiaqiaxian
10 hours ago, TalNum said:

我的DS920 +发生的情况完全相同。您最近是否升级了DSM固件?918+似乎也有一些近期更新在DSM固件更新之后的两个单独实例中,我也发现了这种情况。一次在Emby稳定版上运行,然后再次在beta上运行。

我的情况是TL; DR:没有发现/调查硬件编码器/解码器消失的确切原因。我相信它将与DSM更新相关联。除非Emby拥有更新的软件包以手动安装,否则请不要更新DSM固件。

DSM firmware is 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 

tces12011

I have the same problem, my server is ds220+, but I update the latest beta spk. the advance menu comes back, 祝你成功

tces12011

Hi @Luke , I notice the changes of /dev/dri/renderD128, maybe this is the root cause, I also update the DSM version. after DSM upgrade the permission of renderD128 to be 

crw------- 1 root root 226, 0 Apr 7 16:04 card0
crw------- 1 root root 226, 128 Apr 7 16:04 renderD128
Then update emby spk, the permission become
crw-rw---- 1 root video 226, 0 Apr 7 16:27 card0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 226, 128 Apr 7 16:27 renderD128

After DSM upgrade, nas change the driver permission, so emby cannot read it , just my 2 cents.
  • Like 2

flowcool
7 hours ago, tces12011 said:

Hi @Luke , I notice the changes of /dev/dri/renderD128, maybe this is the root cause, I also update the DSM version. after DSM upgrade the permission of renderD128 to be 

After DSM upgrade, nas change the driver permission, so emby cannot read it , just my 2 cents.

I tried to change permission as previous but it is not working at all (reboot emby, then the synology). So I assume something else changed.

TalNum
8 hours ago, tces12011 said:

This was exactly the same conclusion I came to in my thread regarding this issue. Anecdotally, I had read some prior instances of this (linked in my thread) occurring within Emby in the past, but this seems to be a much more pervasive issue now. Shame that no one is looking into this.

flowcool
1 hour ago, TalNum said:

This was exactly the same conclusion I came to in my thread regarding this issue. Anecdotally, I had read some prior instances of this (linked in my thread) occurring within Emby in the past, but this seems to be a much more pervasive issue now. Shame that no one is looking into this.

I have to admit that I have the same feeling as you :(

Anyway, as per previous reco, I tried to install the beta version and it's working back... How ? Why ? Who knows. (but had few side effect of applying this, nothing major in regards to backup/restore I had to do lately anyway...)

• Agree 1

Because the beta server contains new development, and the next stable release will include the same changes.

TalNum
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Because the beta server contains new development, and the next stable release will include the same changes.

How would this explain the same issue occurring for those already on beta having to update to a newer beta version just to remedy this problem? The common denominator is clearly DSM updates impacting Emby's ability to see Synology's hardware. Allow me to illustrate using my timeline:

1. Emby server 4.5.4.0 working fine on DSM firmware 6.2.3-25426 Update 3.
  2. Update DSM firmware to version 6.2.4-25554. No changes to any Emby settings before, during, or after the DSM update.
  3. Immediately notice CPU spiking to 99%. Find that all hardware encoders/decoders are missing from the Transcoding screen.
  4. Update to Emby server beta version 4.6.0.30. All encoders/decoders return to normal, without any other intervention other than updating to Emby beta.
  5. Update DSM firmware to version 6.2.4-25556. No changes to any Emby settings before, during, or after the DSM update.
  6. Immediately notice CPU spiking to 99%, again. Find that all hardware encoders/decoders are missing from the Transcoding screen, again.
  7. Update to Emby server beta version 4.6.0.36. All encoders/decoders return to normal, without any other intervention other than updating to a newer version of Emby beta.

Just as a means of showing that the DSM update is the culprit, I also updated to Emby server beta version 4.6.0.37 today and none of these issues arose again.

I am by no means a developer of any platform, but I am unsure why these DSM updates, both major and minor, are not being highlighted as the culprit behind these problems that other users and I are experiencing.

Edited by TalNum
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Gohlas
On 4/7/2021 at 11:06 AM, Gohlas said:

Hi,

Same problem here with my 918+.

Just after update DSM to 6.2.4-25556, the HW VAAPI was gone.

Just to share an update,

Just followed @TalNum suggestion and did actually worked.

I reinstalled the .37 beta package (since I had .37 before and couldn't go back to .36) and the VAAPI shows up again.

• Agree 2

MAX92

Is it possible to reinstall without losing something ?

My version is 4.5.4.0, reinstall the same version ? 

Gohlas
10 minutes ago, MAX92 said:

Is it possible to reinstall without losing something ?

My version is 4.5.4.0, reinstall the same version ? 

Yes,

For me worked, I downloaded the same version and reinstalled without removing the one I had.

Just like a normal update, without loosing anything. (Anyway, it is always good to make a backup just in case)

• Like 2

Olroy12

Hello,

A precision, please : I download the good version for my NAS Syno (920+ is the x64), and I manually install this version (emby-server-synology_4.5.4.0_x86_64.spk) on DSM ? and my files, my collections, my users remain unchanged... It's correct ? 

Edited by Olroy12

56 minutes ago, Olroy12 said:

Hello,

A precision, please : I download the good version for my NAS Syno (920+ is the x64), and I manually install this version (emby-server-synology_4.5.4.0_x86_64.spk) on DSM ? and my files, my collections, my users remain unchanged... It's correct ? 

Hi, that's how you install, yes. 

• Thanks 1

MAX92

On 4/10/2021 at 2:06 PM, Olroy12 said:

Hello,

Yes it was correct for me