Malware Program

OCDcrazy

OCDcrazy

After I bought lifetime emby I purchased a vpn to use on my windows 10 computer for security. Now I would like a malware anti virus program but not sure what one I should get free or paid. My computer has 8gigs of ram so I need one that wont slow down emby, any advice?

ESET Smart Security has been my favorite since version 2.2.. Highly configurable and compatible. It is a paid program.. covers the bases.. very low on resources.. and low false positives... Web Access Protection as well.. 

Using HTTPS on your server would be a good idea...

I also recommend looking into the free home version of Tenable Nessus.. ESET does offer a vulnerability scanner for your devices.. this one is usually way more in-depth.. good for showing you attack surface and making changes to minimize and protect.

OCDcrazy

Thank you for the information I will install them now and use https. I never heard of them programs before but esset has free 30 day trial so I can test it before I buy it.

UPDATE: I could not get Tenable Nessus to install it says it needs to be 32bit and im running 64bit. I installed eset and it picked up a bunch of malware viruses and removed them, now my computer is faster and stops disconnecting randomly all the time. Now my google homepage started working now and not the spam one that installed itself randomly. Thank you for telling me about this I will be purchasing a year subscription today for this 🙂

Edited by OCDcrazy

This is good to hear.. if there was a big problem there might be a few other areas to look at when it comes to cleaning up some of the extended mess..

At Tenable.. you should look for the Nessus-8.14.0-x64.msi.. that should work.. unless something else is wrong on your PC..

OCDcrazy
1 hour ago, Hxemby001 said:

This is good to hear.. if there was a big problem there might be a few other areas to look at when it comes to cleaning up some of the extended mess..

At Tenable.. you should look for the Nessus-8.14.0-x64.msi.. that should work.. unless something else is wrong on your PC..

My computer runs perfect now, it use to freeze up and the mouse would stop working but now it doesnt even do that anymore. I will look for Nessus-8.14.0-x64.msi and try to install, thanks a bunch.

No problem... the symptoms you propose points to several things including an infection running on proxy, bot network, and a few other items out there I can think of..

Be sure to take a good look at the Services running and installed on your system... I am familiar with most of mine.. but if your not and question rather it is a legitimate service or part of windows find a good place to look them up online. Some of these can be very hard to clean up and leave remnants behind in the registry... If they are thoroughly cleaned it usually goes well. BUT because of the way the infection and issues occur they can come back.. so be sure you keep a good eye on it, the method in which they occurred usually needs to be addressed and they look to hide them..

Hopefully its not that bad, but do keep an eye on it.. Yo may also want to be sure to change and secure your passwords to anything of any real meaning.. especially concerning your bank/credit cards.. another place to watch .. especially a PayPal account. 👍

OCDcrazy

I have spent a bit of time on this youtube videos and reading and learning this is a great experience being able to do this without going to a computer repair store or replacing my computer. Im happy to say thanks to your help my computer runs great my iptv does not freeze every couple minutes now like it did in fact I can leave the tv run iptv over night and wake up it still working where it never did that before. Now tv works just like cable tv only now it also looks better with more options than they offer. My next goal is to research ssl and maybe buy a domain name once I watch youtube and figure it out.

• Like 1

...It does make you better about being able to fix your system and stay secure.. a little less left in the dark wondering.. Plus your able to identify an issue sometimes.. Still glad it helped your issues for sure.. :)

There are several guides here.. The process can be different between servers and methods.. I haven't done this yet on mine. Did review some results of Nessus and managed to change the encryption on the system and the NAS for SMB3.. forcing connections to be made with that encryption.. In the process I closed a major hole made by dnsmasq somehow messing with the network settings... A few little other issues to iron out here and there but nothing major.. Definitely feel better about it.. My router is the next thing.. Has a couple of things that I can secure a little better.. I will have to setup differently in the end to get out to the web though.

Right now though I am  working on my metadata which will allow me to get to the place where I install hopefully, the upcoming version ( right now I am on portable because of some weird issue before ).. and then polish Emby off.. maybe with a premiere subscription by then.. Maybe even be able to put it online for my own use. Getting some intricate little details worked out in the metadata to make an import of my archive/libraries go smoother with less effort..

Edited by Guest

mastrmind11
20 minutes ago, OCDcrazy said:

What would be better, vpn that has a port forward feature or a domain name with ssl ? 

they are 2 different things.  it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

• Like 1

OCDcrazy
1 hour ago, mastrmind11 said:

they are 2 different things.  it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Remote connection securely without my isp showing at all.

pwhodges

Neither a domain name nor the use of SSL hides your IP address, which can be linked to your ISP.  So you need a VPN of the right sort to gain that anonymity.

I don't bother, so I'll leave it to others to make recommendations.

Paul