Feature Request "There is a newer version of this app" add Checkbox to Not show again

access

access

Hello!

As I am in Australia the Samsung app has to be manually installed on peoples Televisions with Samsung TV's. I've manually installed the App on 10 separate peoples Samsung TV's manually via USB but as soon as I do within a very short period they get the following message every time they open Emby (which is every day!) "There is a newer version of the app available".

image.png.53d8baaa14677896fdc7db77b993c118.png

Now, I know the obvious thing is to suggest they upgrade the app, and I'm hugely appreciative that their is updates in the app at all! But these users are not going to be able to do this on there own so it just becomes a hoop they have to go through every-time they open the app. I understand the App will eventually stop working when I take a certain version of the EmbyServer but until then my request is to add a checkbox that asks "Don't show this message again".

That would be fantastic, but I understand if that doesn't align with your current goals, as the real fix would be to get the App approved in the Samsung stores around the world which I'm sure is very tough! Also the version of the app I'm running is 1.0.79.

Thanks!

Edited by access
  • Like 2

SamES

The issue is that the USB beta version of the app is time locked by Samsung so if you don’t update it it will stop working anyway. 

• Like 1

as the real fix would be to get the App approved in the Samsung stores around the world which I'm sure is very tough

Agreed. We're trying.

serpi
9 hours ago, SamES said:

The issue is that the USB beta version of the app is time locked by Samsung so if you don’t update it it will stop working anyway. 

Version 1.0.79 should be from about mid 2020 (June/July?) as we are now on 1.0.93 and it seems, the app is still working, only bringing up the requester about new version available.

So when will this version stop working?

For me it seems to launch the requster at every start already after one month to be a real overkill.

Maybe bring it up after the first month, than once every week and than more often after a couple of months.

Ciao, Alfred

serpi
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Agreed. We're trying.

Anything new about this?

It's very silent about this, still no clear answer what the problem is or when it will happen.

Ciao, Alfred

2 minutes ago, serpi said:

Version 1.0.79 should be from about mid 2020 (June/July?) as we are now on 1.0.93 and it seems, the app is still working, only bringing up the requester about new version available.

For me it seems to launch the requster at every start already after one month to be a real overkill.

Maybe bring it up after the first month, than once every week and than more often after a couple of months.

Ciao, Alfred

Sometime in the late summer or early fall of last year Samsung added that rule and they enforce it with the USB apps. So there's nothing we can do about it.

It will stop working 30 days after the date in which we first release it. We generally start showing the Emby new version dialog a little sooner than that, around 25 days, because the Emby dialog is a little more clear about what you need to do whereas the Samsung dialog just looks like an error message.

2 minutes ago, serpi said:

Anything new about this?

It's very silent about this, still no clear answer what the problem is or when it will happen.

Ciao, Alfred

Just follow this topic:

SamES
4 hours ago, serpi said:

I can’t be certain. Samsung always said 1 month, but since that version onwards they now enforce it very strictly. That version could stop at any time  

• Like 1

access

Hey Sam,

Thanks for replying so quickly. I agree that it could stop working at any time. In which case on my next visit I will bring another USB disk to their house to fix it and they can Chromecast until then.

But until then I agree, bringing it up every time is excessive as for most users it will automatically update when it's added to the store.

In practice the majority of users who see this message are the users who had it manually added it. And I'm guessing the majority of those users had it applied for them by someone else. Just think there could be a better way that doesn't both so many users.

I haven't seen the app stop working for any users yet and I've been onboarding one Samsung TV user at least once per month for a while now.

Thanks.

Edited by access

serpi
On 3/31/2021 at 8:20 PM, Luke said:

Just follow this topic:

I do, but there's nothing new from the devs for years. No progress, no timeline, no explanation, what's the problem, besides your comment from February 2019, that the US release was free and you managed to get two other countries somehow.

Ciao, Alfred

Edited by serpi