Live TV with Dish Network

iPenguin02

iPenguin02

Has anyone been able to get Live TV plugin to work with Dish Network? 

I'm new to the Live TV setup and I'm paying for Dish Network. So I'm wondering if it's possible. Broken down barney style for a noob like me would be extremely helpful.

I was reading there may be a way with m3u, but where do I get these files for networks on Dish? I'm open to hardware solutions as well.

Thanks in advance.

Sammy

Channels DVR and TVE m3u streams but easier is to switch to CableCARD and HDHomeRun Prme tuners. Who is the CableTV provider in your area?

iPenguin02
2 hours ago, Sammy said:

Channels DVR and TVE m3u streams but easier is to switch to CableCARD and HDHomeRun Prme tuners. Who is the CableTV provider in your area?

Spectrum, but I left them because I hated their service. Im using Dish Network now.

Sammy

Old Legacy Charter or acquired TWC area?

I've been with Charter for 30 years and have had a good experience with them, even better recently. 

Edited by Sammy

The problem with most sat setups is the increased costs and less than 100% reliability.

Generally speaking you need a capture card vs a tuner.  You will need one capture card per tv channel you wish to record or view.  Not only do you need a capture card but you also need a dedicated STB for that capture card.

So if you wanted to be able to watch or record 4 channels you would need four sets of STB/capture boards. A lot of content can usually be recorded right off the main OTA channels such as ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX & CW.  So you might want to research what local channels are available in your area.  If this is possible then with a one time purchase and set on an antenna a tuner such as HDHomeRun Quatro you can watch and record up to 4 channels at a time with no ongoing costs.

If you have obstacles or live just a bit to far from the broadcast towers another possible way to get these local channels for $5/month is with Locast (www.locast.org) and this can be integrated into Emby.

What Sammy mentioned about Channels DVR is also a possibility but I don't think they directly support Dish credentials.

BillOatman
On 3/30/2021 at 10:26 PM, iPenguin02 said:

Has anyone been able to get Live TV plugin to work with Dish Network? 

I'm new to the Live TV setup and I'm paying for Dish Network. So I'm wondering if it's possible. Broken down barney style for a noob like me would be extremely helpful.

I was reading there may be a way with m3u, but where do I get these files for networks on Dish? I'm open to hardware solutions as well.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know of any legal (or even illegal honestly) way to do this.  There are DVB-S and DVB-S2 devices to get the signal from the satellite dish, but the authentication and decryption happens between the card in your receiver and the receiver itself.  I'd ask Dish Network if they have such a device, but since that would allow you to watch their content on more than one TV I doubt they have anything. Basically what you need is the equivalent of the hdhomerun device that works with a cable card, but works with the Dish Network card.

Edited by BillOatman

emveepee

As @cayars said HDMI and capture devices with blasters enable recording from STBs.   Here in Canada for everything but OTA we must use these for satellite or cable since cable card, and TV Everywhere aren't available to us.

I currently use 4 methods in NextPVR which does interface to Emby.  I use the Hauppauge HD-PVR for capturing via component and HDMI,  HDMI h264/h265 network encoders,  HDMI USB grabbers and analog SD capture.  I tune with LIRC and Firewire.   Setting up tuning does require a bit of technical know how.

The HD-PVR approach is the only one that supports 5:1 AC3

Martin

• Like 1

@emveepee Any chance you could elaborate more on your setup of the 4 methods?

I know I'd be interested in understanding why you use 4 methods.

BillOatman
31 minutes ago, cayars said:

@emveepee Any chance you could elaborate more on your setup of the 4 methods?

I know I'd be interested in understanding why you use 4 methods.

Yeah me too actually (and not in the bad #MeToo way :) ). Love to see what could be used to get a sat receiver to work with Emby, or something like tivimate for that matter.

emveepee

I  have 3 STB's. 

#1 Primary recording device  HDPVR 1212 newer HD-PVR's aren't supported on Linux and I prefer firewire tuning.  I primarily use it for AC-3 recordings (not a huge concern to Emby users with all the transcoding that goes on) but it is important to me. 

#2 URaytech HEVC  HDMI encoder.   Secondary device also smaller files  Iguanaworks IR blaster.   h264 probably is fine for most users and a lot cheaper.  Multiple h/w transcoding configuration via 4 http "pages"

#3 HDMI USB Firewire + svideo Iguanaworks IR blaster captured at 16:9.  I pick and choose but for general purpose in the daytime CNN etc svideo is good enough in a small window.  USB MJPEG Video and PCM transcoding takes extra CPU

Martin

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

emveepee

It looks expensive but cable STB's and HD-PVRs can be really cheap on kijiji well under $100 CDN for a pair. When you compare that with a Prime and add cable card rentals it probably pays off in under a year and you can even record copy once/never.

Martin

emveepee

@Sammy I note your confusion I am talking about the h/w for my tuners, when you don't have cable card as an option your need to be creative.   Think of the STB controlled by a blaster with capture device as tuners.   I recently captured this demo of an unreleased Android TV Live Channels client for NextPVR  using 3 STB's,  Fox is HEVC, CNN is svideo, NCAA is HD-PVR and finally 6.1 is OTA.  all direct played from the captured ts file on a Tivo 4KStream. 

The demo is a little bit "cooked" because tuning an STB can take 3-5 seconds so I pretuned them but otherwise it is just like watching from cable card.

Thinking about it the capture for YouTube was with the USB grabber via OBS

Edited by emveepee

Sammy

Nice presentation..

I'd like to see a wiring / cabling diagram for this setup as this is where I was confused.

emveepee

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.  My server room (3 PC's for various projects) is aways a real mess of wire and cables, with zero WAF and it is really good to keep it hidden and keep the fans away from the TV.   It's kind of taken apart right now adding 2.5 GB  network into the mix but I will see if I can get a picture on the weekend.

My server area is ALWAYS a mess as well.  Everytime I clean it up I end up having to access something to pull and end up with another mess.
My setup just seems to run better messy.  Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL