Nvidia Shield & Multiple PGS Subtitles on Screen

Mkilbride

Hi.  A sample could confirm for us but I believe this will be corrected with the next version of the app.

Thanks.

DarkAngel1l

Thanks for the reply and I'm happy to share the file! 

I've snipped out the relevant portion of the video showing the issue; you can see the issue occur around the 14-15 second timestamp.

If you require the original file though, happy to provide it as well.  I'd just like to know your preferred method of delivering it since it's a decent size (30GB).  

pgs.subtitle.sample.7z

Well, that sample does exhibit the same problem with the new version.  But we aren't using native Exo to render them.  We're using ffmpeg so I'm not sure where the issue truly lies.

If I force a transcode with playback correction, they display as intended.

• Sad 1

DarkAngel1l

Thanks for looking into it!  I had no idea that "playback correction" was an option and that it would force a transcode.  So that's a helpful workaround for the time being until the problem can be identified and a solution worked out.  

Unfortunate that it won't be resolved with the next app release but, totally understand it could be tricky to troubleshoot since it sounds ffmpeg is also being used here and not just Exo.  If you need additional content that exhibits this behavior for any additional troubleshooting (if that even helps), let me know! 

• 2 weeks later...
Mkilbride

So this is still an issue sadly.  Been using Emby lately. Fine in Browser or Theater. However on Shield they still disappear unless I burn them in(transcode).

FrostByte

What version of the app are you running?  I know the exoplayer fix for dual layer pgs subs and rendering of ASS subs is in the latest beta and should be released soon as it's in RC now

Mkilbride

According to my NVIDIA App, 2.0.03g Registered

I just tried again - it had been a few days and I see your release notes mentioning PGS.

Interesting new behavior. Now instead of just disappearing - they seem to flicker between the top and bottom of the screen.

Edited by Mkilbride

Hi.  These aren't "dual layer" PGS subs - they are multiple PGS subs displayed simultaneously.  This is still an outstanding issue.

• Like 1

Mkilbride

Damn, I got abit excited when he said the next release was gonna have a fix for it. Any idea on when - if this is going to be fixed?

Mkilbride

Hey you put this better than me. I had another topic about this, but you named what it is much better than I. I hope a fix is forthcoming.   Just to tell you - this issue isn't present in Plex, at least for me. So there's some hope that a fix can be found.

• Agree 1

FrostByte
5 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

Damn, I got abit excited when he said the next release was gonna have a fix for it.

I most definitely did NOT say that there was a fix for multiple PGS being displayed.  I said there was a fix for dual layer PGS and suggested you try to see if it helped any for your situation and according to your report it does have a different result.  I can't help if you and ebr misread my reply

• Like 1

Mkilbride

So I was confused for for a minute @FrostByte, it appears the two threads were MERGED, the one I had made before, my reply was at least. 

Glad to hear it's being fixed. A lot of my releases have this issue.

Edited by Mkilbride

DarkAngel1l

@ebr Happy to do so, though this might be a silly question. 

How do we go about upgrading to 2.0.05 on the Shield?  The current Beta on the play store looks like it's 2.0.03g only.  Are we just waiting for it to update to 2.0.05 or do I need to sideload this new beta version onto the Shield?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, DarkAngel1l said:

How do we go about upgrading to 2.0.05 on the Shield?

First post here:

• Thanks 1

DarkAngel1l

@cayars Thanks for sharing that!

@ebr I've tested the original file I provided and some additional content I have and the results look good!  I haven't run across anything that breaks as of yet.  Thank you! 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DarkAngel1l said:

@cayars Thanks for sharing that!

@ebr I've tested the original file I provided and some additional content I have and the results look good!  I haven't run across anything that breaks as of yet.  Thank you! 

Awesome.

Mkilbride

I tested it in a few files. Seems to play fine now. Took almost a year, but hey it's fixed, so all is good.

Also FLAC Direct plays now. It didn't before. So that's nice. PRetty much all my major issues are fixed.  Hi10 is an unofficial format so expecting Direct Play from that is highly unlikely. As for Plex's Intro feature that's probably outside your budgetary range at the moment, but it's nice now.

• Thanks 1

Mkilbride

Gotta report this as unsolved. I just tried out Mob Psycho and Fate / Stay Nights Heavens Feel with PGS subs. When more than one was on screen, they didn't quite disappear as they used to, but jump randomly all over the screen instead of being where they need to be.

I am on 2.0.0.5g so it's not that. Damn.