Combine Same Type of Content in Latest Added Home Screen

DarkStar1977

DarkStar1977

Hi,

Would be great the possibility to combine Latest Media Hubs per type of Media.

for Example

If I have 2 libraries for movies:

Movies

Movies 4K

To be able to see both in the same "hub" as "Latest added Movies" 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

MBSki

Agreed, I would prefer this too. As well as more options to show on the home page with ability to move the different hubs around.

• Like 2

CharleyVarrick

While I generally agree about emby should offer more options/customization, I am not sure this is useful, at least not to me.

I wonder why someone would create separate libraries for "Movies" and "4k Movies" in the first place, then ask that they show as a single entity.

Easy and obvious solution would be  to put all your movies within same library.

If you then want to look specifically for 4K, you can easily fillter those.

image.png.64ccf1fa8e877b75c25e0e325fb796c7.png

Edited by CharleyVarrick

DarkStar1977

Hi @CharleyVarrick thanks for your answer.

I've used Movies and 4K movies as an example, maybe was not a good one

In my case my libraries are something like this:

MOVIES

- Movies  <- those are in Spanish that's my mother language

- Movies VOSE <- Movies in original language with subtitles

- Concerts <- Concerts

- Documentary standalone <- Documentaries that has only 1 chaper/movie

- Theater <- Recorded Theater Shows

TV SERIES

- Tv Shows <- Mainly not Spanish Tv series but in Spanish language

- Tv Shows Spanish <- Tv series in spanish and from Spain

- Tv Shows Catalan <- Tv series in catalan and from catalonia

- Tv Shows Anime <- Only Anime Tv Shows

- Tv Shows Anime VOSE <- Only Anime TV Shows in their original language with Subtitles

- Tv Shows for Children <- Only TV Shows for Children

- Tv Shows Animated <- Not Children TV shows animation and not anime

- Documentary Chapters <- Documentary Shows that has more than 1 chapter

MUSIC

- OST <- Original Soundtacks

- Discographies <- Music Sorted by Artist

- Disco Music <- Mainly 90's Disco Albums from Multiple artists

The reason for the split is basically to share specific libraries with specific users and not others.

Buit for the users that has access to more than 1 library, as an example:

- OST 

- Discographies

- Disco Music

I would prefer that the "latest added" will be mixed in one line not splitted.

As you can imagine with my library split putting all of them in a separate row ends up on and endless home screen, that's the reason of the feature request.

:)

Edited by DarkStar1977

DarkStar1977

BTW it has not be a difficult implementation as fo example on the Apple TV home Screen when you select the Emby app without opening it the Apple TV interface shows all "latest added" combined in one row, no matter the library where those are coming.

CharleyVarrick

OK, that makes more sense, and I can only imagine what you mean by endless home screens.

My native language is french, so I have 2 libraries of everything

ie: Movies and FR movies, TV shows and FR TV shows, and so on.

In my case I want to have english synopsis for english movie but french synopsis for french movies (achieved from Dashboard/library language options.

For sharing rights (access or not), I will let other chime in

• Like 1

DarkStar1977

Thank you @CharleyVarrick

I would appreciate if you can mark the ❤️ in my original post as it seems is what the Emby team is reviewing to make a feature possible or not

CharleyVarrick

While not solving all your problem, here's a couple of tips

Documentary is already a genre, so I would include those in movies, then browse by genre

Concerts is not a genre per say ( meaning as per TMDB), but you could create one in edit metadata (not sure it would stay put should you refresh metadata), same goes for Theater

CharleyVarrick
2 hours ago, DarkStar1977 said:

Thank you @CharleyVarrick

I would appreciate if you can mark the ❤️ in my original post as it seems is what the Emby team is reviewing to make a feature possible or not

This is what emby recommend, but not necessarily what emby does. See this GREAT thread* below.

I cannot say I love the idea that my FR and ENG movies and tv shows gets fused together (I want and need them to stay apart).

Edited by CharleyVarrick

DarkStar1977

Thanks for the feedback @CharleyVarrick

Indeed a Documentary is a genre itself but as there are Documentaries that has only 1 "movie" and there are other that are "series" I saw none of them fit on the same library I decided to split those

Regarding the concerts even are not a category itself can be identified as movies and all metadata fetched But I don't want to be on the same library as movies.

DarkStar1977
1 minute ago, CharleyVarrick said:

This is what they say, but not necessarily what they do*.

I cannot say I love the idea that my FR and ENG movies and tv shows gets fused together (I want and need them to stay apart).

I'm not asking this to be for "everyone as mandatory" I'm asking this to be an option that can be selected.

Of course will be users to prefer the current approach but having both can be even better :)

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick
2 hours ago, DarkStar1977 said:

Thanks for the feedback @CharleyVarrick

Indeed a Documentary is a genre itself but as there are Documentaries that has only 1 "movie" and there are other that are "series" I saw none of them fit on the same library I decided to split those

Regarding the concerts even are not a category itself can be identified as movies and all metadata fetched But I don't want to be on the same library as movies.

Documentary is a genre, whether looking at movies or series. If you have documentary series in your movie library, maybe they should be retagged and moved to tv shows (and again, browse by genre)

As for Concerts, I actually do have a separate library for those (actually 2, one eng one Fr). Content type is movie

image.thumb.png.f75a1646dcf8038a4f4407dedcabb280.png

But when I watch my media with Kodi, I see only 1 movie library, that displays all movies type contents: FR & ENG, Concerts and so on, just like your AppleTV example. 

So the client you're using should offer you option to streamline the overall number of library branches, should you want to.

Edited by CharleyVarrick
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick
8 minutes ago, DarkStar1977 said:

I'm not asking this to be for "everyone as mandatory" I'm asking this to be an option that can be selected.

Of course will be users to prefer the current approach but having both can be even better :)

I agree to that post, and if you read a little bit the Roadmap transparency link I put above, you will understand better how feature requests works (or not) around here.

Meaning your original post could have 30 Likes and still not have your option implemented in 5 years.

I suggest starting to streamline (at least some) of your library structure asap, you will get instant results (improvements) that way.

• Like 1

DarkStar1977

Indeed you can merge libraries using Kodi but the intention is that this possibility can be available using Emby native clients not a 3rd party tool.

CharleyVarrick
5 hours ago, DarkStar1977 said:

Indeed you can merge libraries using Kodi but the intention is that this possibility can be available using Emby native clients not a 3rd party tool.

Other way around, Kodi merges similar content types by default. You need custom skins and/or Nodes to display integral Libraries like embyweb does.

As for 3rd party...

This is a whole other story in itself (and a can of worms); In my opinion, Embyweb is feature-crippled compared to a lot of its clients; Android TV comes to mind.

I have all but given up on EmbyWeb (and its brother Emby Theater) and use exclusively Kodi for media consumption.

Relying solely on Embyweb for everything is very limiting, like having only a hammer in your toolbox, when you need a saw, a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

This is likely why they offer integration to this extensive list of app

https://emby.media/download.html 

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick
16 hours ago, mbarylski said:

with ability to move the different hubs around.

This already exist, you need to go in dashboard/homescreen 

MBSki
1 minute ago, CharleyVarrick said:

This already exist, you need to go in dashboard/homescreen 

Yes, but my comment was in connection with more options not the current setup which has the hubs of each type locked together rather than separated.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

I think I know what you mean, from home screen, being able to drap and drop those tiles, like Tetris (?)

That would be cool, but I would not hold my breath

4 hours ago, DarkStar1977 said:

The reason for the split is basically to share specific libraries with specific users and not others.

Hi.  You can accomplish this with a single library if you wish because you can assign visibility by folder.

Folder Based Access Control

• Like 1

MBSki
46 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

I think I know what you mean, from home screen, being able to drap and drop those tiles, like Tetris (?)

That would be cool, but I would not hold my breath

Kind of, but I think a good example is Live TV. These 2 hubs are locked together. I can't put On Now lower or higher than Live TV, they come as a package.

That said, I think it's just more about options. Really the only Hubs available are "Latest". Plex has dozens more (screen shots below). My favorite hubs from Plex are the TV - Recently Played and Photos - Photos from (year, decade, this day/month). 

image.png.f10257a78cac8e28b5200ca6c300731c.png  

Plex Hubs

image.png.705e20c3282317e8f089b5017abc9ef6.png

image.png.1a4139af0957fb31cd66186cc75454e0.png

image.png.ae0434b0c713283f23d91aafa5131e62.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...Looking for more fine grained configuration of the Home Screen... I can understand that.. I almost always run past the screen anyway... I can click on new stuff I have added in each library.. Even having recommendations per user account... newly released... in the sections.. I see what Plex is doing with that too..

Sort of like signing in to your local streaming account on another site.. or going to IMDb..

It seems like for some of this when you create your libraries.. include certain folders... whatever you show as a library will show up.. by -scanned into emby date, or file creation date on the system...  and per user by user access for each library. You can be redundant in adding those shares.. to create libraries to choose from.. the options sort of are there.. Its totally possible..

DarkStar1977
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You can accomplish this with a single library if you wish because you can assign visibility by folder.

Yes interesting but not enough.

To many complexity to manage multiple folders when you have to create each user profile from scratch just to get all the same type of media in the same row.

Not to say that I have to rebuild all my libraries from 0, re-scan, reconfigure missing arts, etc.

Plex has it perfectly solved:

1306898470_Capturadepantalla2021-03-28alas16_47_20.thumb.png.a3b1469bd0a3f9f917c236aadb2b76db.png

And you can customize if you want it all together or a line per kind of media.

• Like 1

MBSki
40 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

The options sort of are there.. Its totally possible..

Yea, except you can't save them. You have to change the filter every time to see a different view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Actually he would have to create more libraries (from within the same shares) .. in the admin account... but be doing them with each user in mind.. Then turn on/off access per account.

Just because you create a library with a share does not mean you can't add it to another library with a different name...

Edited by Guest