Downloaded subtitles aren't syncing up with video

mranim8or

mranim8or

I'm having an issue with the subtitles the server is getting from the OpenSubtitle website (pretty cool that it can do this automatically, by the way).  Most or all of the ones that have been downloaded do not sync up with the video. In the very beginning of the film the sync is fine, then as it progresses the subtitles play earlier and earlier.  Due to this I suspect whats happening is its downloading a 24 fps subtitle and trying to put it on a 30fps movie.  Is anyone else having these issues?

OpenSubtitle often has a ton of different subtitle tracks available for each film, in a variety of frame rates....is there any way to force the server to download a 30fps version?  Failing that, is there an easy way to convert the files, once they are downloaded?

MisterMin

Perhaps it depends on the movie versions. I am sure there are different versions of movies out there, like directors cut, cinema cut, etc. Also there can be differences between DVD version, blueray version and so on.

we use open subtitles hash matching formula to find an exact match. if there's no exact match, we take the best one available. so perhaps an option to only download when there's a perfect match would be a good idea.

of course it's important to remember, even when the hash matches, you are still downloading user-created content. joe shcmoe uploaded something that worked for him, but he can't guarantee it's going to work for you, and nobody is performing any kind of validity check on it aside from other users.

I take it no one else is having this issue?

I run into this all the time. As @@Luke said it's user generated content so caveat emptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
rfischer1984

I know this is an older post. But I just tested the subtitles with emby and with plex, and plex works just fine while emby is out of sync. They are using the same subtitles. 

I know this is an older post. But I just tested the subtitles with emby and with plex, and plex works just fine while emby is out of sync. They are using the same subtitles. 

Hi, in order to best help you, please see how to report a media playback issue:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
pclausen

Did this ever get resolved?  Friend of mine is having this same issue with pretty much all Open Subtitles that he downloads from within Emby.  When he rips his discs using MakeMKV and the disc has subtitles, he doesn't have this issue, it only happens with subtitles pulled from Open Subtitles within Emby.

It seems odd to me that 100% of the subtitles pulled from Open Subtitles would be out of sync during playback, and 100% of the subtitles added via MakeMKV are in sync.

Did this ever get resolved?  Friend of mine is having this same issue with pretty much all Open Subtitles that he downloads from within Emby.  When he rips his discs using MakeMKV and the disc has subtitles, he doesn't have this issue, it only happens with subtitles pulled from Open Subtitles within Emby.

It seems odd to me that 100% of the subtitles pulled from Open Subtitles would be out of sync during playback, and 100% of the subtitles added via MakeMKV are in sync.

@@pclausen, there is nothing to resolve. We can't guarantee that the subtitles from Open Subtitles will be perfectly in sync. How could we possibly do that? They are being uploaded by joe random user and could have either a positive or negative delay applied, which we have no idea about. For best results, make sure the require perfect match option is checked in server settings. That will significantly increase the likelihood that your downloaded subtitles will be in sync.

• 3 months later...

Okay, I just came in to post about the subtitles sometimes being ahead of the video by several seconds. I think this is due to me unchecking the perfect match box in the server due to the fact that I wasn't getting subs but I think the real reason was that the drive was full as pointed out to me in this post and after making room seeing this.

I have now checked the box after recycling a bunch of old TV Shows that have already been watched but not deleted and there's room on the drive again.

@@Luke or @@ebr, Is there a way to update the subtitles already downloaded to those that only match perfectly or do I just need to "wait it out"?

TIA

Okay. That would mean going into quite a few folders to delete them. Maybe there's a faster way to "bulk" find all srt's across many directories and folders then delete them all then scan again?

Thanks @@Luke! Sorry to be such a PITA lately but I'm finally getting around to cleaning up a lot of things that I haven't had time to do for a while with Emby, Vera and the like so I have a lot of questions right now. Very grateful for the awesome help provided here Thanks!