Live TV questions

GokuTradeDevil

GokuTradeDevil

So guys i have some doubts about live tv:

First: I don't find the option in channels to see the list of channels in the order they are in the m3u list and if there is not an option can you make it to respect the order of the links of the m3u file ? (ssIPTV respects the order of the links )

Second: i don't understand how buffering works on web player but in vlc is like 1 second delay , i would like to know if the method of vlc can be improved on emby like an advanced setting !

(best delay i can get on emby is 5 sec , the channel starts the same like vlc but instantly freeze for 3-4 sec then rezume, i don't know why is doing that freeze , i understand is trying to see if should use direct play or stream or transcode, can i set it to direct play ? advanced settings options  ? )

Second: i don't understand how buffering works on web player but in vlc is like 1 second delay , i would like to know if the method of vlc can be improved on emby like an advanced setting !

Hi, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

GokuTradeDevil

So i use m3u in the local network with vlc player windows 1 sec delay and vlc android 1 sec delay !

Then i use emby server m3u live tv with emby player on android wich is exoplayer and the same channel have 3-4 sec delay, and with webplayer 5-6 sec delay, with chrome and lgtv emby app 5-6 sec delay ! All tests are local network !

My question is why these players can't do the same performance like vlc ?

I tested on a lg webos  iptv app and have the same lag so definitely is a problem of client player apps nothing wrong on the server side , right ? Cause i read that the player has that delay cause needs to figure how to play that stream , why vlc does't need how to figure out how to play it ?

More layers and features in the middle using Emby.

As an example using VLC and playing back CNN would require one tuner slot.  If 4 people were all watching CNN this way then 4 "tuner slots" are in use.  HOWEVER, most likely if you watch CNN this way through Emby then only one "tuner slot" is in use as Emby is smart enough to know how to share that channel among multiple users.

Emby can also adapt the stream on the fly to each client as well.  For example if you wanted to watch CBS on your cell phone remotely the server can convert the mpeg2 video stream to h.264 and even change the resolution to something smaller than 1080 which won't likely be needed on a small display. Now you can watch good quality TV in 1 or 2 Mb of data vs 15 to 20Mb which VLC would have been using.

Emby can do lots of things like this on the fly but it comes at the cost of slightly longer startup time since it needs to get some processes going.

GokuTradeDevil
5 hours ago, cayars said:

More layers and features in the middle using Emby.

As an example using VLC and playing back CNN would require one tuner slot.  If 4 people were all watching CNN this way then 4 "tuner slots" are in use.  HOWEVER, most likely if you watch CNN this way through Emby then only one "tuner slot" is in use as Emby is smart enough to know how to share that channel among multiple users.

Emby can also adapt the stream on the fly to each client as well.  For example if you wanted to watch CBS on your cell phone remotely the server can convert the mpeg2 video stream to h.264 and even change the resolution to something smaller than 1080 which won't likely be needed on a small display. Now you can watch good quality TV in 1 or 2 Mb of data vs 15 to 20Mb which VLC would have been using.

Emby can do lots of things like this on the fly but it comes at the cost of slightly longer startup time since it needs to get some processes going.

it's not about what can emby do, it's the webplayer in direct play, i am sure cause i tried another iptv apps on webos - ssiptv and ott player do the same 3-4 sec freeze !

The player on the android emby app is called exoplayer and is doing great (2 sec delay , 1 sec delay compared with vlc android) 

So the problem is 2000 euros for lg crap software(hardware ?) , if i'm not mistaken emby theater have to use lg webos player  and that sucks , i will try more iptv apps to see if any app don't have that freeze ! Thank you all for delivering all this great software !