My emby server has been flagged as a Deceptive site.

RDSII64

forum1

Hi All,

Same problem here .

I have setup the emby on synology with reverse proxy and with LetsEncrypt SSL.

on first day Google flagged it…. 
The security checker is marking index.html page that is harmful … but there isn’t any indication of that.

regards 

pwhodges

Changes have been made in the beta of Emby 4.8 which it is hope will make this less likely to happen in the next version, or even prevent it altogether.

Paul

ironblack

Same problem here: emby used to work for ages on a domain I own, with LetsEncrypt SSL certificate on the reverse proxy. DNS on CloudFlare. I am on emby 4.7.11.0

Today, my whole domain was flagged as deceptive... any tips except requesting reconsideration to Google? I read in the thread that 4.8.0 should help, is it confirmed?

1 hour ago, ironblack said:

Same problem here: emby used to work for ages on a domain I own, with LetsEncrypt SSL certificate on the reverse proxy. DNS on CloudFlare. I am on emby 4.7.11.0

Today, my whole domain was flagged as deceptive... any tips except requesting reconsideration to Google? I read in the thread that 4.8.0 should help, is it confirmed?

That's something that's going to take time to find out, whether users are still getting flagged or not even after the changes.

5 hours ago, ironblack said:

same(4.7.11), whole domain flagged as deceptive today

TheJambo

Same, whole domain flagged as deceptive, through Cloudflare tunnel, with cloudflare managing all of the certs, so it's not that.

Taken Emby offline until a resolution is clear.

If you don't want to jump up to the 4.8 beta server, just locate index.html in the server install folder /dashboard-iu.... and then remove the meta tags and also change the tags with values of Emby to something of your own name.

You'll need to restart the server and then connected browsers will need to clear their caches in order to verify the changes.

• Like 1

TheJambo
1 hour ago, Luke said:

If you don't want to jump up to the 4.8 beta server, just locate index.html in the server install folder /dashboard-iu.... and then remove the meta tags and also change the tags with values of Emby to something of your own name.

You'll need to restart the server and then connected browsers will need to clear their caches in order to verify the changes.

Updated to 4.8 Beta, but not sure the login page changes enough to satisfy Google's flaggers. I'm running docker so not sure if it's really possible to change the index page.

TheJambo

OK my attempt using only the controls given by the server:

Updated to 4.8 beta, with better meta-tags on login screen.

Changed Accent colour

Changed server name to somethiing likely to be semi-unique.

Added a disclaimer text to the bottom of the login screen.

Hopefully, this will be enough.

• Thanks 1

Q-Droid

Is everyone getting flagged on port 443 or are servers on other ports getting hit with this as well?

indianaguy

To add to these comments.. My domain was flagged as deceptive as well like a week or two ago. I did fill out their little popup that comes about and put that it was a personal server.  after clearing cache etc i do not see the deceptive warning anymore.  but

I also had several people having connections issues lately. I was able to look into the users router today and spectrum has a security shield setup that was blocking my domain. I'd say their security shield blocking my domain.... more than likely had to do with  google listing it as deceptive.  So if you having users having issues i'd def look into that.

TheJambo
9 hours ago, indianaguy said:

To add to these comments.. My domain was flagged as deceptive as well like a week or two ago. I did fill out their little popup that comes about and put that it was a personal server.  after clearing cache etc i do not see the deceptive warning anymore.  but

What popup? I didn't see anything where you could list it as a personal server?

exus

I edited the meta tags yesterday and sent a review request on google search console, they removed the block few minutes ago

• Thanks 1

DarkZrobe

Put in asking for a review and updated to 4.8. Will update when I know more. My server is behind a nginx reverse proxy as emby.domain.com

• Thanks 1

TheJambo

Just had mine re-reviewed and passed with the below changes.

On 01/05/2023 at 00:04, TheJambo said:

OK my attempt using only the controls given by the server:

Updated to 4.8 beta, with better meta-tags on login screen.

Changed Accent colour

Changed server name to somethiing likely to be semi-unique.

Added a disclaimer text to the bottom of the login screen.

Hopefully, this will be enough.

• Thanks 1

ITGuy1024

Happened to me today. Tried to roll out an SSL to my domain and it was flagged in a few minutes.

worthmo

I've been seeing the same issue for a couple of weeks now.  Google is flagging everything coming from my domain (including emails from Ombi) as unsafe.  When I look at the Google Search Search Console/Security & Manual Actions Page I only see Emby pages being listed as deceptive pages.  No recent changes on my side other than keeping up to date with Emby releases.  I'm running Emby 4.7.11.0

Edited by worthmo

worthmo

There is a disclaimer for the beta channel that recommends a re-install if you switch back to the stable channel.  Is there a timeline for when 4.8 might be released?  I would prefer not to re-install to move back to the stable version.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, worthmo said:

There is a disclaimer for the beta channel that recommends a re-install if you switch back to the stable channel.  Is there a timeline for when 4.8 might be released?  I would prefer not to re-install to move back to the stable version.

No ETA but we're working hard on it.

worthmo

I downloaded the portable version of 4.8.0.34 and looked at the index.html file.  Does this version contain the fix?  I see the same meta data tags that is in the 4.7.11.0 version.

I manually removed the followings tags, cycled the server, and requested a review from google.  I will see if they clear out the warning and if it gets flagged again.

<meta name="description" content="Emby Server">
<meta name="application-name" content="Emby">
<meta property="og:title" content="Emby">
<meta property="og:site_name" content="Emby">
<meta property="og:url" content="https://emby.media">

1 hour ago, worthmo said:

I downloaded the portable version of 4.8.0.34 and looked at the index.html file.  Does this version contain the fix?  I see the same meta data tags that is in the 4.7.11.0 version.

I manually removed the followings tags, cycled the server, and requested a review from google.  I will see if they clear out the warning and if it gets flagged again.

<meta name="description" content="Emby Server">
<meta name="application-name" content="Emby">
<meta property="og:title" content="Emby">
<meta property="og:site_name" content="Emby">
<meta property="og:url" content="https://emby.media">

In 4.8 they get stripped at runtime, so it's not necessary to manually edit it anymore.

• Thanks 1

chimestrike

Can anyone confirm how long it's taken Google to delist your site after updating the site and sending a request to them?

DarkZrobe
4 hours ago, chimestrike said:

Can anyone confirm how long it's taken Google to delist your site after updating the site and sending a request to them?

I registered the page with my google account here:

https://search.google.com/search-console?

Then filed to b
e reviewed after I updated to 4.8 and did a manual review of my webserver for anything fishy.

12 hours later they removed it.

Animosity022

I'm always amazed how I come back to try out Emby again and it somehow breaks me in new and exciting ways.

As others in this thread, my whole domain is flagged as deceptive as I loaded up the server like so many other people.

I'm such a glutton for punishment :( yet I keep coming back and trying again to ultimately fail horrifically.

Thank you DarkZrobe for posting that as I did the same thing hoping I can get my stuff fixed quickly as well.