Remote Connect on Fire TV Stick sporadically unable to connect

IamJosh

IamJosh

Hello - I have someone that logs in to my Emby remotely regularly using Fire TV Stick and it works most of the time. It sometimes happens that it is not connecting, and then it connects again the next day, and I do nothing, change nothing, don't even access or login the server. When this happens, neither him nor I can connect remotely, neither on windows app remotely nor the ios app remotely, only worked locally. I was never able to figure out why as this was sporadic and I never changed anything or any configuration, and it magically would work again the next day.

As if this wasn't weird enough, this week I was traveling and it worked the first day I was remote, but then wasn't able to connect on the windows emby app, or the ios app (neither worked), while my friend was able to connect remotely using Fire TV Stick. Then today, 2 days later, I was able to connect using the windows app and my phone ios, but my friend texted me to say that his Fire TV isn't connecting.

I'm at a loss as to why it works sometimes and others don't, and why it might work remotely for one and not the other.

Thank you

Hi.  Is it possible your IP address is changing?  Or that the connection is just unreliable?

IamJosh

Hi, I thought about it, and I may be but don't think it would be those for these reasons:

- For this week when it worked on one but not the other, if the IP changed, I'm thinking it wouldn't have worked in neither place remotely.

- As for the connection, if referred to the connection of the laptop hosting the server, there is the same thought of working well in one but not the other, so it's not the connection of where the server is. And if referred to the connection of where I or my friend is remotely, in both places when Emby didn't work this week, I opened Plex (which is on the same laptop), and it streamed fine. And the same for my friend when this happened in the past, when Emby wouldn't login, he switched to Plex and it streamed fine.

Thanks for the input, let me know if there is something else I can check.

Hi.  We probably need to look at details of a specific instance.  The next time it happens, please send a log from the app and then report details about when you did that out here.  There should be a button on the server or user selection screen to send the log.

Thanks.

IamJosh

Ok, will do. And when saying to send a log from the app, just to be sure that it's from the server, correct? Because when this happens the remote windows app or ios don't connect. I can login remotely to the laptop that is hosting the Emby server, so I could generate a log as it happens.

Thank you

IamJosh

Hi Luke, above it said next time it happens, am I able to get a log back from when it happened last week? I can go and try later today.