New Linux server install not being seen.

fguarneri

fguarneri

Helo,

I have a windows 10 machine running Emby server and its running fine. Using Firestick as client to watch the content.
I have now inherited an older machine and installed LXLE Linux (Ubuntu variant) with the hope of using this machine as my Emby server. To test it, I installed the deb file from the Emby web site and followed the steps to install. I made a movies directory in my /home and placed 2 movies in there. I then opened a web browser to http://localhost:8096 and Emby showed me my 2 movies. A status check in terminal; sudo systemctl status emby-server.service, showed Emby active.

When I use my Windows/Mac machines (and Firestick) to access this server, it refuses to connect and shows no server at the local server address.
Looks like setting up an Emby server on Linux is more complex than expected.

What am I missing?
Thank you all for your help.

Frank

Happy2Play

Not a Linux guy but are you saying you can not connect to this server via ip:port? 

Are these servers on the same subnet/network?  If not a guess would be the clients are seen as external/remote and you have Remote connections disabled.  A test would be enabling Remote connections on the Linux server to verify. (Dashboard-Network, Allow remote connections to this Emby Server)

fguarneri

Correct. I can't connect with IP:port.

As I mentioned, I have ANOTHER machine running Windows 10 as Emby server, and this works fine. All my content can be watched.

For some unknown reason the Linux Emby server will not show up.

Any ideas out there?

Thank you.

Happy2Play

And my other question above?

Edited by Happy2Play

Q-Droid

Check to see if LXLE has a firewall enabled by default. Can you ssh to the host from another one or can only work locally?

Also check to see which addresses Emby is binding.

netstat -lnp | grep -i emby

Don't worry too much if you see IPv6 as long as it's not bound to a specific address and you have dual stacked IPv4 and v6.

Check IP addresses per adapter.

ifconfig

fguarneri

Hello all. My problem is solved.

I used the my firewall on the emby server machine and set
simple tab in gufw  to allow in an out tcp/udp  of ports 1900,1901,8096,8920.

All is good now.
Thanks to all.