Black Hawk Down 4k TrueHD audio skip / get out of sync

jrwalte

jrwalte

Had a weird issue last night when trying to watch a 4k MKV of Black Hawk Down with TrueHD track. It would play fine then the audio gets a blip or skip. When it would blip, the audio is just barely off. But when it skipped, the audio would be off 1-2 seconds. Stopping and restarting or rewinding would get it back in sync. Then it would do it again. Rinse and repeat through the whole movie. 

I haven't experience this issue before. Thought maybe it a network or hardware issue. Rebooted everything in the chain. Still occurred. Played another 4k TrueHD John Wick for 30 mins and had no issue. Went back to Blawk Hawk Down and it started again. So I'm thinking it is something with the TrueHD track of Black Hawk Down specifically? I also noticed at one point in the movie the center channel became over amplified in the recording and was distorting, even though it wasn't any louder than before (so it was a recording issue not my speaker).

Can you see anything happening on the server or client side? I'm using AndroidTV 1.8.80g on Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 with server 4.5.4.0. Server log attached. AndroidTV Emby user is 'Justin'. No transcoding was occurring.

I was watching last night 3/21/21. Below are time stamps in eastern daylight savings.

9:03 pm

9:04
9:06
9:08
9:26
9:27
9:40
9:41
9:46
9:49
9:50
10:06

embyserver-63751967999.txt

Hi.  It may be a bitrate thing but did you send a log from the app?  I don't see one at those times.

jrwalte

SMH. I reinstalled the app as part of debugging and didn't turn on the debug option in the app again.

I don't think it a bitrate issue. I play plenty of other files with higher bitrate. John Wick I tested last night during the same time is a higher bitrate.

I'll have to play it again.

image.thumb.png.f030e3990068f735486e71fd09a24c2e.png

Deathsquirrel

I've been having the same issue with Hellboy on 1.8.80g.  Stuff with higher bitrates plays fine but the audio on this bugs out ever 5-10 minutes.  I just sent debug logs in from my shield.

12 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

I've been having the same issue with Hellboy on 1.8.80g.  Stuff with higher bitrates plays fine but the audio on this bugs out ever 5-10 minutes.  I just sent debug logs in from my shield.

Assuming I found the proper log (you didn't provide all information requested) I don't see any playback in it.

Deathsquirrel
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Assuming I found the proper log (you didn't provide all information requested) I don't see any playback in it.

Bizarre, I'd just stopped playing the movie about a minute before sending the log.  I'll send another the next time I run into it and post server logs as well.

1 hour ago, Deathsquirrel said:

Bizarre, I'd just stopped playing the movie about a minute before sending the log.  I'll send another the next time I run into it and post server logs as well.

If you are running the beta of the app, send the log right from the player (cog menu).

rbjtech

Is this the latest MakeMKV ?

Have you tried demuxing and remuxing the streams in MKVToolNix GUI or if you can ffmpeg ?

If it's only certain files - then I would suggest they are at fault and emby/exoplayer is not handling the 'fault' gracefully.

• Like 1

FrostByte

If you Google Black Hawk Down and OOS you will find several threads on this 4K UHD having issues with the audio going out of sync.   

However, some apps like VLC seem to recover well on the discs with problems, but ATV/Exoplayer doesn't seem to be able to do that.

The Natural/Black Hawk Down - www.makemkv.com

The extended versions of The Martian made in the US are another UHD which has issues.  I've remuxed that disc several times and there's nothing you can do about it.  Either the app needs to recover, or you can pause and restart to get it back in sync.

• Like 1

FrostByte

With extended version The Martian I use the DTS-HD 7.1 track or the DD+ 7.1 track and the sound is good.  It's just the TrueHD Atmos track on that disc with the problem.  

Another option is to use VLC as an external player in ATV and VLC will recover correctly during the bad spots in the Atmos track which Exoplayer doesn't seem to be able to

rbjtech

I expect it's the seamless branching of the versions that is causing the issues - there is a possibility that you can recreate the m2ts files manually and then try and remux.  Other options are to grab the Atmos track from the Blu-Ray (non 4K version) and then remux - but unless they are exactly the same bar the resolution, this will not work.

It's a shame, as I imagine Black Hawk Down is pretty impressive with Atmos - as all the helicopters and overhead shots should be making good use of the height channels ... :)

• Like 1

FrostByte

That makes sense that it would be a problem with the seemless splicing, since it seems to be the extended versions of these movies with the problem in the Atmos track

Maybe Exoplayer can be updated in the next beta because one of the audio fixes I found interesting in newer versions of Exoplayer (they are up to 2.13.2 now) which may, or may not help with OOS issues.

Retry playback after some types of AudioTrack error

The devs will know more but I believe AudioTrack has something to do with the handling of playback position smoothing.

I believe @Audiomixer has noticed the problem with the extended version of The Martian also.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel
5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Is this the latest MakeMKV ?

Have you tried demuxing and remuxing the streams in MKVToolNix GUI or if you can ffmpeg ?

If it's only certain files - then I would suggest they are at fault and emby/exoplayer is not handling the 'fault' gracefully.

It wasn't the latest makemkv in my case so I upgraded and re-ripped.  No change.  What was the other test you wanted, copying all the file elements into a new MKV using MKVtoolnix?

rbjtech

haha - I do actually have the Extended version (just checked) but watched it about a year ago before I had my Atmos setup - I probably used the DTS 7.1 at the time as I don't recall any issues.

I may have to watch it again (great film..) with Atmos to see if I have the issues .... hmmm..

Deathsquirrel
21 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I expect it's the seamless branching of the versions that is causing the issues - there is a possibility that you can recreate the m2ts files manually and then try and remux.  Other options are to grab the Atmos track from the Blu-Ray (non 4K version) and then remux - but unless they are exactly the same bar the resolution, this will not work.

It's a shame, as I imagine Black Hawk Down is pretty impressive with Atmos - as all the helicopters and overhead shots should be making good use of the height channels ... :)

In my case there was a DTS-HD track on the 4K disc and switching to that audio seems to have fixed it.

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, Deathsquirrel said:

It wasn't the latest makemkv in my case so I upgraded and re-ripped.  No change.  What was the other test you wanted, copying all the file elements into a new MKV using MKVtoolnix?

You can try this but it sounds like a mastering error on the seemless branching - in other words, when it includes or skips the parts depending on what version you are playing, it screws up the sound sync for the 'join'.  Exo can't recover from this properly, so it goes out of sync but from what @FrostByte has highlighted above - it may be a known problem that Google are fixing .. so there is hope yet. 👍

FrostByte

You can try the pause/resume trick, but with The Martian there are several spots where they spliced in the extended frames and the audio goes OOS so you have to do it again in certain spots of the movie.

I usually use one of the other audio tracks, or use VLC as an external player to ATV or ET for Android and that works also

Audiomixer

...and plex (there is a thread on this there) has similar behavior as well with the Martian and they are a few versions behind with exoplayer.

Edited by Audiomixer
  • Like 1

FrostByte

See the Amazon link for Black Hawk Down and all the comments about the audio

Amazon.com: Black Hawk down [Blu-ray]: Josh Hartnett, Ewan McGregor, Tom Sizemore, Eric Bana, Ridley Scott, Ridley Scott, Jerry Bruckheimer, Jeffery Beach, Ken Olandt, Revolution Central Productions, LLC: Movies & TV

I might have to start keeping the DTS-HD 7.1 track on my rips for all extended cuts until Exoplayer can be fixed to handle this

jrwalte

OK I played the movie again on a section where this issue happens. I submitted the log and attached is my server log, user Justin. When it first skipped and went out of sync, I went back and repeated the section 3 times and it always skips at the exact same spot. Skips occurred at 8:32 pm, 8:33 and 8:34. Eastern daylight savings.

I played the same section again using the AC3 core of the Atmos track and no longer had the skipping issue.

Obviously it would be nice for it to be solved, but at least now I know to use another audio track if I come across this issue again.

embyserver.txt

On 3/24/2021 at 8:45 PM, jrwalte said:

OK I played the movie again on a section where this issue happens. I submitted the log and attached is my server log, user Justin. When it first skipped and went out of sync, I went back and repeated the section 3 times and it always skips at the exact same spot. Skips occurred at 8:32 pm, 8:33 and 8:34. Eastern daylight savings.

I played the same section again using the AC3 core of the Atmos track and no longer had the skipping issue.

Obviously it would be nice for it to be solved, but at least now I know to use another audio track if I come across this issue again.

embyserver.txt 1.6 MB · 0 downloads

Hi @jrwalte, are you still running into this?

Audiomixer

@Luke still occurring on the Martian extended running server .35 and 2.0.01rc2 on both my NVidia shield pro 2019.

Edited by Audiomixer
  • Like 1

FrostByte

It looks like Exoplayer was updated on ET for Android to 2.13.2.  I'll test that sometime today to see if anything Google did helped.

FrostByte

Doesn't look like the new Exoplayer fixed the timing during the skips for either movie for me.  Only thing that works is using VLC as an external player or using an audio track other than the TrueHD Atmos one.

• Thanks 1

rbjtech

As this is effectively a mastering error by the Studio and only effects two known titles, I guess Google aren't exactly going to be tripping over themselves to fix this in a hurry.

I'm not sure if I have any other seamless branching titles to test this with - does anybody know of a seamless version with True-HD/Atmos that does not have these issues ?  It would be interesting to check the timing vs the problem titles.