STRANGE WP8 Issue (Microsofts fault!?)

trooper11

trooper11

Yes, this is a result of WP8.1 Update 1.

Too many websites were defaulting to a  poor mobile version of their site when using IE, so MS updated IE to allow it to use the useragents that would result in websites passing the better mobile versions that you might see on Safari in iOS.

With my Lumia Icon, it also shows up as Safari on iOS.  So that would mean that the server sends a better mobile experience using that useragent than the standard IE string.  It has not broken my ability to stream media however.  I usually use the WP app and not the server client, but I tried some playback and it was working fine.

Yes, this is a result of WP8.1 Update 1.

Too many websites were defaulting to a  poor mobile version of their site when using IE, so MS updated IE to allow it to use the useragents that would result in websites passing the better mobile versions that you might see on Safari in iOS.

With my Lumia Icon, it also shows up as Safari on iOS.  So that would mean that the server sends a better mobile experience using that useragent than the standard IE string.  It has not broken my ability to stream media however.  I usually use the WP app and not the server client, but I tried some playback and it was working fine.

so you can play with wp8 in the browser?

If I change to desktop site request it asks for webm installing.

I was using the web client as the wp app doesn't support configuration of stream bitrate and my upload speed is dogturd!

For some reason the server see's my Lumia 1020 as having a safari browser, this seems to have coincided with streaming from the web client failing..

I've done a search on whatismybrowser.com, and it says "internet explorer 11 on ios 7, Nokia iphone"

WTF? I might add I just installed the cyan update recently....

@@Luke can you help ? @@ScottIsAFool may be able to help debug/explain...

Are any other windows phone users experiencing this weirdness?????

jhoff80

It sounds like you're on 8.1 Update 1.  It uses useragent spoofing in order to get access to higher quality mobile versions of sites (sites that are automatically seeing IE in the useragent and giving a WAP site, for example).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/07/31/the-mobile-web-should-just-work-for-everyone.aspx

Edited by jhoff80
  • Like 2

trooper11

so you can play with wp8 in the browser?

Well  I could a couple days ago, but checking it again today, I can't get any media to play.  It just flashes up 'unkown error' and then goes away.

Also, I checked it again today and in the server dashboard, my phone is showing up as IE 11 again, so either you guys did something, or MS changed the useragent behavior. 

UPDATE:

It appears I can in fact watch my media via the web browser.  As I was about to create log files, I restarted MB3 (Not using the built in restart button, but by right clicking the server icon and hitting 'exit'.  After that reboot, I tried it again and my media was playing again as it was a couple days ago. I scanned over the log anyway and did notice some errors being thrown up, but then it seems to overcome that and starts playing like normal. 

Edited by trooper11