Launch MB-C from desktop (not just WMC)

NJ RadioGuy
Go to solution Solved by NJ RadioGuy,

NJ RadioGuy

Hi all,

I would like to be able to use my remote to go directly into MB-Classic from the PC Desktop.

I have a WMC remote (ORtek VC-1100), and hitting the green Start button brings up Windows Media Center, not MB-C, which I realize sits on top of WMC.

While not a big deal, I'd like to be able to one-key directly into Classic, bypassing WMC entirely. Ideally, I'd like WMC to never appear anywhere but I'm guessing that's not yet possible. Is there any way to map a key or do something to get from the PC desktop to MB-Classic?

Thanks.

Cheesegeezer

Hi all,

I would like to be able to use my remote to go directly into MB-Classic from the PC Desktop.

I have a WMC remote (ORtek VC-1100), and hitting the green Start button brings up Windows Media Center, not MB-C, which I realize sits on top of WMC.

While not a big deal, I'd like to be able to one-key directly into Classic, bypassing WMC entirely. Ideally, I'd like WMC to never appear anywhere but I'm guessing that's not yet possible. Is there any way to map a key or do something to get from the PC desktop to MB-Classic?

Thanks.

I've never used this but this programme should help

http://lm-remote-keymap.software.informer.com/

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 1

I did this by replacing my ehshell.exe with an altered version. Don't remember where I found it, but I'll look later when I get a chance and get back to you.

Definitely would second cheesegeezer's reply on lm remote. I used that for a really long time and it worked great for a quick open of mediabrowser, hulu desktop, and netflix. Now I use unified remote app on my phone and tablet to control my computer. Nearly eliminates any need for mouse, keyboard, and remote :).

NJ RadioGuy

I hadn't wanted to bring the Harmony into my initial question for fear of going too far off-topic, but this relates directly to me as well. My VRC-1100 is mirrored in my old Logitech Harmony 659. I will not actually be using the Windows Media Center remote; I just bought it for the IR receiver and command interpreter. The desired solution here is to press one button on my Harmony 659 (and I guess the other user for the Logitech One) to launch MB-Classic. Can this be done from the remote itself or do I have to go with Im Remote?

Edited by NJ RadioGuy

moviefan

Definitely would second cheesegeezer's reply on lm remote. I used that for a really long time and it worked great for a quick open of mediabrowser, hulu desktop, and netflix. Now I use unified remote app on my phone and tablet to control my computer. Nearly eliminates any need for mouse, keyboard, and remote :).

@@emmcd which unified remote app are you using on your phone and tablet out of curiosity?

@@emmcd which unified remote app are you using on your phone and tablet out of curiosity?

@@moviefan I use the free version by unified intents (both phone and tablet are Droid so they are from Google play store) between that and using mediabrowser's remote play from those devices, I love my setup :)

• Solution
NJ RadioGuy

LM Remote is the solution that ultimately worked. Here are the steps I used, with complete success, for the ORtek VLC-1100 remote:

1. Right-click the icon you currently use to launch Media Browser Classic from the desktop.
  2. Beside the word Target will be a long string. Copy it to the clipboard.
  3. Launch LM Remote KeyMap
  • Choose the first option, Customize your remote.
  • Use the Left or Right arrows to scroll the remote control images;
  • Select the HAMA profile by clicking the picture of the HAMA MCE Remote.
  • Edit the default profile
  • Click the image of the START button (on the HAMA it's the big green Windows key 2/3 the way down).
  • Delete every option that's there by default.
  • Press the green "Plus" key to Add an action.
  • Select "Launch Application" from the menu offered.
  • Paste that long string you copied in step 1 beside "Application." It contains both the path and arguments to the executable.
  • Go to the beginning of that string; highlight everything after C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe (or whatever the path is to your ehshell.exe program) and cut it to the clipboard. The path to the executable is the only thing that should be in this window.
  • Paste it into the "Arguments" window. In my case the arguments were  /nostartupanimation /entrypoint:{CE32C570-4BEC-4aeb-AD1D-CF47B91DE0B2}\{FC9ABCCC-36CB-47ac-8BAB-03E8EF5F6F22}. Yours will probably be different.
  • Set "Window" to Maximized. if that's what you want.
  • Tick the box "Ensure application got focus when started." Say OK, then click APPLY and test it out. It should work, and if so, exit MB-C, say "OK" to the dialog box and close LM Remote KeyMap.

Alternately, you may want to make one more change: The power key on the ORtek remote will put the machine to sleep, which I personally don't like doing since I have fetching tasks going on in the background. Edit the power key and remove all existing commands, apply and save.