Some questions about media formats and server OS

lrhlpz

Hi! Some doubts:

- First, the OS:

My server has a weak CPU (Celeron 847) and 4GB of ram. I want this can work as a NAS server, but I want Media Browser too. Tried OpenNAS, NAS4Free and XPEnology, but I don't like it. Now, I must choose between Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8.1... Will MB3 run better in one of those? I want TV server too (if possible).

- Now, the media formats:

I have my movies on MKV, with two languages and subtitles in the file (not SRT). My server don't have the power for transcoding (1080p) and I need to stream my files to my Phone (Windows Phone), my Surface Pro, my WD Live TV, my Xbox One and an Xbox 360.

I'm thinking in "pre-transcode" all my MKVs to a format and a resolution my devices can play, but I'm not sure how file naming must be.

At the end, I will have:

- The original "movie.mkv" for playing on PC and my WD TV Live

- A new "movie.mp4" (same resolution than mkv)

- A new "movie - 720p.mp4" for my Windows Phone.

- Probably a "movie (eng).mp4" and "movie (esp) - 720p.mp4" but not sure yet.

Is this folder structure good?:

--- Movie (2014)

------ Movie.mkv

------ Movie.MP4

------ Movie - 720p.MP4

What I want is Media Browser could choose which file, based on the video format/codec/resolution, for my devices.

Thanks!

Edited by lrhlpz

nydude25

My server has a weak CPU (Celeron 847) and 4GB of ram. I want this can work as a NAS server, but I want Media Browser too. Tried OpenNAS, NAS4Free and XPEnology, but I don't like it. Now, I must choose between Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8.1... Will MB3 run better in one of those? I want TV server too (if possible).

That's a big difference...one OS is $400 the other is $100. If you are willing to spend that much on the OS, instead your should just get rid of the Celeron, buy a newer i7 CPU, and use Win8 as your OS. Then you won't have to worry about any transcoding issues.

That's a big difference...one OS is $400 the other is $100. If you are willing to spend that much on the OS, instead your should just get rid of the Celeron, buy a newer i7 CPU, and use Win8 as your OS. Then you won't have to worry about any transcoding issues.

Sorry, I forgot to explain that I have a WinServer2K12 key thanks to my MSDN account, and a W8 key that was buyd on the W8 launch day.