Emby web: Multi select option in TV Shows/Upcoming

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

As you might have read elsewhere, tvdb api v3 has been giving me a hell of a time with in-progress shows.

With that in mind, it would be really helpful to be able to multi select within Upcoming view so I could more efficiently refresh MD, instead of doing them one by one.

Not sure it would solve everything, but likely a step in the right direction.

I am assuming that within TV Shows/Upcoming, refresh metadata does its business on a per episode basis (?) if so, everyone's happy, as it does not (god forbids) hammer the provider too much.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

Hi, yes we should add this for this screen, although here's a tvdb tip - we get the metadata for the whole series all at once in a zip file, so refreshing the entire series doesn't result in hammering them.

CharleyVarrick
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes we should add this for this screen, although here's a tvdb tip - we get the metadata for the whole series all at once in a zip file, so refreshing the entire series doesn't result in hammering them.

😲 I was assuming (with a certain degree of confidence) that while looking at Upcoming Episodes. 3 dots/refresh metadata would only request update for that selected episode.

Unless what you mean is Emby does request MD for a single episode, but gets the whole serie reply from tvdb (If so, too bad, but this is on them)

My thinking was, Upcoming episodes being a relatively short list (compared with whole TV library), refreshing MD for a handfull of episodes would be an insignificant request.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

17 hours ago, CharleyVarrick said:

😲 I was assuming (with a certain degree of confidence) that while looking at Upcoming Episodes. 3 dots/refresh metadata would only request update for that selected episode.

Unless what you mean is Emby does request MD for a single episode, but gets the whole serie reply from tvdb (If so, too bad, but this is on them)

My thinking was, Upcoming episodes being a relatively short list (compared with whole TV library), refreshing MD for a handfull of episodes would be an insignificant request.

When you refresh the metadata on an episode, it pulls it from the zip we already have obtained. In some cases it may update that zip depending on how long it's been since it was downloaded. Again that's just unique to tvdb though.

Happy2Play

Getting there entire Series.zip is the only reason we have Upcoming also.  It is still just one request.  Then you have to perform a library scan for the potentially updated Updated/Future episodes.

Per server log you should see Emby asking for updates on your series also.  Looks like it looks for updates in the last 5 days.

2021-03-21 03:25:49.369 Info HttpClient: GET https://thetvdb.com/api/Updates.php?type=all&time=1615976555

From the api endpoint

Updates : Series that have been recently updated

I would assume if TVDB has not had any updates to ones series they are ignored?  @Luke

Edited by Happy2Play

CharleyVarrick
9 hours ago, Luke said:

When you refresh the metadata on an episode, it pulls it from the zip we already have obtained.

we? I am confused by that little word. You meant the zip I (as in my own Emby instance) already obtained.

More importantly, If I understand correctly, If Emby got bad/incomplete data from TVDB first time around, and I request MD refresh, it goes looking for it in the same previous zip file that contains the bad/incomplete data in the first place?

That would certainly explains why no amount of refresh seems to fix it.🤨

Edited by CharleyVarrick

In some cases it may update that zip depending on how long it's been since it was downloaded. Again that's just unique to tvdb though.

CharleyVarrick

Basically, what TVDB seem to do is send crap to daring users that request "this just in" episode info, then make you "pay" for it by locking you down to it for 2 to 3 days.

Hence the @RBJTech metadata delay maneuver.

They never cease to "amaze" me, where do I sign up again? 🥵

Edited by CharleyVarrick