Login question: 2 users

NJ RadioGuy
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

NJ RadioGuy

Hi all,

Is there any way to automatically login with MB-C on the local PC (same machine as my LAN), but require a password login for any remote logins?

I don't want to have a keyboard/mouse connected to the HTPC so having a password-protected account on that box is a non-starter. But, for remote access, I do need password protection, plus I want a guest account so a friend can access a specific library folder, but without having access to my whole collection (there are certain videos that need to be kept away from young eyes).

Is what I want feasible or possible to accomplish? Basically anything on the LAN here at home should be full and automatic admin access but anything external should be protected.

Thanks.

Logos302

What your asking for unfortunately doesn't exist but you can work around it. It has been asked for and I think the dev team is more into adding features then security options at this time IMHO.  They have added a token system that once all clients support it will be another way of securing your system. You can use the configuration to use a specific user and password, but if you have the auto-logoff function it will take you to the login screen.  You can also use numbers for your password which your remote will most likely allow you to do. 

NJ RadioGuy

You can use the configuration to use a specific user and password, but if you have the auto-logoff function it will take you to the login screen.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. "You can use the configuration to use a specific user/pwd?" I'm trying to parse that and it's just not registering. Not sure about auto-logoff, nor would I ever want to invoke that feature on a dedicated HTPC.

This is my #1 most wanted feature.  ++++++1

The option to not have a password locally exists now in the released server.

• Like 1

NJ RadioGuy

Still have a bit of an issue with the new server. No, I no longer require a password on the LAN, but I'm still presented with both user accounts (Guest and my admin). I would ideally like to have any connection on the LAN log in bypassing the login screen, but anything on a public IP requiring a choice of accounts, plus a password. Do I have something mis-set?

Are you talking about the exact same machine moving between being on the network and off?

If it is different machines then you simply need to configure the ones on the internal network to automatically log in to the user you wish.

moviefan

The option to not have a password locally exists now in the released server.

Ah I missed this in the latest release notes.  See it now.  Awesome!

NJ RadioGuy

Are you talking about the exact same machine moving between being on the network and off?

If it is different machines then you simply need to configure the ones on the internal network to automatically log in to the user you wish.

Gotcha. I had forgotten the configurator was for MB-C and not server. I'd remembered setting it up on the HTPC (which is now fine), but my desktop was always presenting a login.

How about on my iPad, though? I use that occasionally on my LAN and occasionally away from home. I want to have it prompt for a login from across the Internet but not prompt when I'm at home. Is that possible? It's fairly low priority.

• Solution

The new server feature should cover your iPad.

You don't have to use the configurator to setup the auto login.  On the first tab of the configuration screens in MBC, there is a "Startup Behavior" option.  You can log in as the person you wish to be automatic and set this option to "Log in as current user".

• Like 1