Change sort order to not ignore prefix?

xenth

Happy2Play

You can make a feature request but I'd expect the overwhelming majority of people expect to see 'The Butterfly Effect' under B and not T.  That's why the current behavior is a default.

Disagree with that, whole heartedly!

You may but the it is true.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Disagree with that, whole heartedly!

Well I could be massively overestimating the number of people that have ever been to a library or learned how to alphabetically sort titles in English...

andyxoxo

Well I could be massively overestimating the number of people that have ever been to a library or learned how to alphabetically sort titles in English...

Are we reading Shakespeare here? Comparing TV shows to library books lol ...

Edited by andyxoxo

Gilgamesh_48

Words like the, a, etc. should absolutely be ignored in the default sorting. In fact all such in any language should be ignored. I have "Les Misérables" in my library (actually both versions) and Emby correctly strips the "Les" for sorting.

However that are a few movies, like "It's a Mad Mad Mad World" that easily could be argued that the sorting is somewhat incorrect. It is found in the "Is" because "It's" is not considered as an article but, in this case, I think that movie really belongs in the "Ms". Of course this can be fixed using the sort title just like if a user really wants other articles to be considered for sorting they can just place whatever they want in the "Sort Title" field.

For Emby this is a problem that is already fixed so that users that really want to violate standard sorting rules have a way to do so with relative ease.

It really seems like this is a non-issue where everyone can already have what they want.

• Like 1

crusher11

I do sort foreign titles normally (Le Samourai under L, for example), mostly because I have no idea what counts as a prefix in all the various languages.