Change sort order to not ignore prefix?

xenth

Hello,

Just trying Media Browser out for the first time. I'm noticing that prefixes in film titles for example 'the' or 'a' are ignored in the sorting order. I find this rather confusing and it's not something that I'm accustomed to and I would like to change this behaviour. 

I've tried finding information on this forum and appearantly I can use the metadata manager using "sort name" for this but I have no idea what I should type in this field. Any help? TIA

Beardyname

For example : The Brussels Business

Is by default listed under B for Brussels

If you want it listed under "T" for The, in the box type: The Brussels Business

Thank you, I've set sort name under Metadata manager under Films as The Brussels Business but it's had no effect whatsoever

Beardyname

Make sure to hit that save button!, also Brussels business was just an example :P So you have to changes yours based on what movie you are referring to.

Make sure to hit that save button!, also Brussels business was just an example :P So you have to changes yours based on what movie you are referring to.

What you're saying is I have to change the metadata for every individual film that has a prefix somehow? That seems horribly inefficient, is there no way to simply change the default  behaviour of Mediabrowser?

You may also have to do a library scan.

I have just done this, it hasn't changed anything unfortunately. 

@@xenth - can you post a screenshot or 2 of what you've attempted to do please.

Certainly. This is the problem I'm experiencing

1dvDedW.png

Here is how I have it configured now

FWbF5BY.png

CBers

You've entered the name of a movie in the sort field for the top level library (Films).

You'll need to edit every movie with "the", "a" and "an" etc, and enter the name you wanted it sorted on into the sort name field.

Edited by CBers

Awesome, I get how that works now  :)

So this is a labour intensive process that I'd have to do manually which I'm not too pleased about. Is there any way that Mediabrowser can automatically duplicate the contents of the sort name field with the name field for every film? Thanks for the help!

It's not doing that now, presumably because my movies are sorted with the prefix (the, an, a) at the front. I would like to keep it like that, is that possible?

CBers

OK, I'm a bit confused now.

Can you list your movies in the order you want to see them please, plus a screenshot of the edit page of one the movies with a problem.

Hahah, yeah no worries. 

Here's what I've done for one of them: 

dlMm5QV.png

It now sorts itself under the T's, rather than the G's, which is how I want it to be sorted.

Really what would solve my issues alltogether would be for the <sort name> field to be an automatic duplicate of the <name> field. 

Edited by xenth

CBers

Yes, that is what you'll have to do.

By default, MB3 will sort on the name of the movie, but it does ignore certain words as you've found.

If you wish to sort on the ignored words, then you will need to amend each movie.

I for one prefer what MB3 does, so that with my TV shows for example, the word "the" is totally ignored - I wish you could do the same in Windows Explorer :D

Beardyname

That's very unfortunate, thanks for the help.

You could also make a feature request and ask for this to be a configurable option :)

But as CBers explaind this (for now) is manual labor.

Deathsquirrel

You can make a feature request but I'd expect the overwhelming majority of people expect to see 'The Butterfly Effect' under B and not T.  That's why the current behavior is a default.  They can make it configurable of course but as a general rule I know the dev team avoids adding options that very few people would use as it makes the UI more confusing.

You'll almost certainly have to stick to doing this in the metadata editor.

• Like 1

Hi,

you should have a look in the "system.xml" file that is located in the config dir of MediaBrowser-Server (normally C:\users\[your user]\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server).

There you will find a section "SortRemoveWords".

There you can add or remove words (like "the") that should be ignored for sorting.

This should do what you want.

You might need to restart the server and rescan the library.

Ciao, Alfred

• Like 2

Hi,

you should have a look in the "system.xml" file that is located in the config dir of MediaBrowser-Server (normally C:\users\[your user]\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server).

There you can add or remove words (like "the") that should be ignored for sorting.

Ciao, Alfred

Fantastico Alfred!  :D

This did the trick beautifully!! Thanks! 

My system.xml now: i67qosh.png

• 4 years later...
Bazzu85

Hi,

Ciao, Alfred

an update..

the modify the xml works only if you refresh the metadata of the, in my case, show library..

with just a scan nothing changes..

Bazzu85

Correct.

question 1: why don't you make this section of xml configurable thru the web interface?

question 2: in a future server update there's the risk that the modified xml is reverted to the original one?

• 8 months later...
andyxoxo

You can make a feature request but I'd expect the overwhelming majority of people expect to see 'The Butterfly Effect' under B and not T.  That's why the current behavior is a default.  

Disagree with that, whole heartedly!