Old FFMPEG?

jhoff80

jhoff80

I noticed after today's upgrade that there were two separate FFMPEG folders within my Media Browser Server folder in AppData.  One, had the date of 06/12/14, and the other was one in July 2014.  Assuming that the June one wasn't being used anymore, I deleted that folder... and it turns out that is exactly the version MBS is using, not the newer July one.  I'm just wondering... was this an intentional move backwards, or was it just a mistake in switching over to the newer version.

• 5 weeks later...

I was going to ask a similar question.   I have 20 folders dating back to april 2013.  1.4gb of ffmpeg installs.  surely I don't need all of these..

• Like 1

im having huge problems with FFMPEG.exe ATM, getting huge loads on the CPU (100% on an i7 3960X) and it never stops. does not matter if i scan my library or anything. the usage is still really high. 

need to make a full report in the morning after some sleep.

i cant use the server at all as it is now since it keep slowing down everything that MB does. 

Edited by aremann

overClocked!

I was going to ask a similar question. I have 20 folders dating back to april 2013. 1.4gb of ffmpeg installs. surely I don't need all of these..

Seems like each successive install of MBS installs the latest build of the custom version of ffmpeg Mediabrowser uses. It seems to me that these are specific to the versions of MBS you have installed over time. I speculate that If you roll

back an installation, the previous version will only invoke ffmpeg.exe from a specific path. If that path and build does not exist, then playback or transcoding will fail. So this may be a necessary side effect given the way installs work (installing over the existing installation without having the benefit of the previous versions installation files).

I hope I'm making sense. I just woke up. [emoji16]

The routine that updated ffmpeg really should be cleaning up the old versions but I don't think it does right now.

• Like 1

My suggestion in deleting them would be to play something and check the logs to confirm which version MB3 is using before deleting them, because as I was saying in my original post, there was one time in which the newest one was not the one that MB3 was using.  Otherwise you'll break everything. :D