Making a 2nd Emby Jail

jerren
Go to solution Solved by jerren,

jerren

So i'm trying to make a 2nd jail obviously but for some reason when trying to connect i can't. Just because i might have made a mistake i'll put how i did it here.

I go Jails -> add , then i give it a name, choose the release version, give an ip adress & subnetmask.

Then the dependencies through the shell from the jail; pkg install mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus sqlite3 libtheora libva libvpx libvorbis webp libx264 x265 dav1d libzvbi libraw ImageMagick6

If any mismatches come up i said yes since i was told that was fine. Then i go to the github "https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/"   and get the latest txz link

So in the shell i paste the link like this: pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.5.4.0/emby-server-freebsd11_4.5.4.0_amd64.txz

Next: sysrc emby_server_enable="YES"

Followed by:service emby-server start

Normally at this point i can go to the ip adress:8096 that i input at the start of making the jail. With the 2nd jail i'm trying to make now i can't do that.

And in case someone wants to use this in the future for making their own Emby jail, normally when surfing to the ip adress if you see the wizard, stop the jail, add the mount point (source is where your data is - destination is where Emby sees it if i remember correctly).

So unless i forgot anything, i don't really see why my 2nd Emby jail wouldn't work. Only thing i can think of is that maybe it's because of the same port usage? 

MRobi

Are your pkg's currently set to quarterly or latest? If I remember correctly, you should be set to latest.

It's also possible you've got the wrong version depending on which version of FreeNAS/TrueNAS you're running and the version of your jail. TrueNAS is FreeBSD 12 based not 11. 

Aside from that, I don't really see anything jumping out at me, although I haven't had my morning coffee so I might just be missing it LOL. You should be able to access the log files which could also tell you why it's not running.

jerren

Hmm i have no idea where to set pkg's to quarterly or latest tbh but yeah i definately messed up the version.

I tried the FreeBSD 12 now and still can't connect to it. I should have spotted that one. Something that came to mind, does emby jail still need the jail to be named "Emby"? Because since it's a secondary jail i named it something else as you can't have 2 jails with the same name on 1 pool.

Baenwort

To set pkg to latest instead of quarterly: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/pkg-quarterly-to-latest.72196/

copy /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf to /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

then open /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf  in nano or what ever text editor you like and change 

url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly",

to

url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",

MRobi
9 hours ago, jerren said:

Hmm i have no idea where to set pkg's to quarterly or latest tbh but yeah i definately messed up the version.

I tried the FreeBSD 12 now and still can't connect to it. I should have spotted that one. Something that came to mind, does emby jail still need the jail to be named "Emby"? Because since it's a secondary jail i named it something else as you can't have 2 jails with the same name on 1 pool.

No it doesn't. I had one named emby and another named emby-beta and sometimes a third named emby-server.

jerren

Ok i updated the packages after copying the conf file and editing it but no luck connecting to it. Decided to delete the jail and restart the server before making a new one. I did all the steps just like in my first post but no luck again. The conf file edit worked because after installing dependencies i saw different lines in the shell at the end compared to usual, also i check the conf file to make sure i saved and it did, Still can't connect unfortunately.

Might it be because i only have 1 ethernet connection on the machine? When i set this jail up i notice it tells me that i need to use vnet while my original Emby jail does not use vnet. 

MRobi
4 hours ago, jerren said:

Might it be because i only have 1 ethernet connection on the machine? 

This would not be it

4 hours ago, jerren said:

When i set this jail up i notice it tells me that i need to use vnet while my original Emby jail does not use vnet. 

VNET should be enabled, and you also need to be sure that you've properly configured your network stack on the host system and are selecting the right network adapter when setting up your jail.

jerren

Ok turning off my main Emby jail and clicking edit (I wanted to see what settings i had there), i saw Truenass change network settings instantly to vnet and something i hadn't seen before called a Berkeley Packet Filter. This did allow both instances to run. But i guess i should have looked around more on how to properly configure the network on my truenas host machine because now my main Emby jail stutters instantly when trying to play anything even with the test jail turned off. 

I had a quick glance at the freebsd handbook and i think i might need to bridge my physical nic so it can let the 2 virtual nic's use it? I'm not sure atm but it's late again so hopefully tomorrow it will seem more understandable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution
jerren

I went to the IX forums and it seems the only thing that needed to happen on the host system was edit my network interface and tick the box for hardware offloading. Everything went peachy after that. Appearantly it's something you should do whenever you are gonna use plugins, jails or VM's on your truenas machine. Something i hadn't seen mentioned anywhere in guides whenever i looked for info in the past so if anyone is reading this.

Tick that box on your network interface if you use a plugin, jail or virtual machine on your truenas machine! ^^

Edited by jerren