Fire TV Cube not playing 1080i ts files

timthorn

timthorn

Hello - when I try to play a 1080i ts file through the Emby app (v1.8.55a) on my Fire TV Cube (FireOS v 7.2.2.9), I just get a black screen with the wait circle animation. The server (v4.5.4.0) dashboard reports Direct Play with the timestamp incrementing, but nothing happens on the TV. If I use VLC (v3.3.4) as an external media player, the stream plays happily (so the hardware does look to support 1080i ts), but I would much prefer to stay within the Emby app if possible.

The file was generated from an HDHomeRun Connect Quattro (HDHR5-4DT) running firmware 20200907, recording from Freeview in the UK. I get the same for 1080i from multiple channels.

Server log attached, app logs sent at about 0950 EST on 13 March, emby user tt198.

Thanks for your help.

embyserver.txt

Hi.  What happens if you de-select the option to direct pay TS files in the app playback settings?

timthorn

Hi, the recording does play, but the server (a Raspberry Pi 4) transcodes it at only ~14fps according to the dashboard, so the video pauses every few seconds.

Okay then I guess that device cannot direct play them.  We should re-evaluate after the next release of the app to see if it helps.

Thanks.

timthorn

Thanks ebr. Just to be clear (and I think this is probably already your understanding), it appears to be the Emby app on the device that can't play them, but the device itself can with an alternative media player.

I'll look forward to testing the next version of the app when it is released - is there a rough timeline for that?