Audiobooks: Audible Metadata Agent

Jbbrack03

Jbbrack03

Right now there is no scraping for Audiobook content. If a user adds a book to their library, the have to fill out metadata by hand. With that said, it is possible to scrape Audible.com for most types of metadata that are relevant to Audiobooks. This is already implemented by the community for Plex:

https://github.com/macr0dev/Audiobooks.bundle

Since Emby will officially support Audiobooks, it would be nice to see that implemented here as well.

• Like 7

Hi.  We cannot legally "scrape" a website for the data on the page.

If they happen to have an API, then this would be possible.

Jbbrack03
12 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We cannot legally "scrape" a website for the data on the page.

If they happen to have an API, then this would be possible.

Ok, how about something like this. What if we created a Community Metadata server for Auidobooks? Something where a user would have a toggle to add their created metadata for a book to the overall database that would then make it available to other users that add that book in the future. It would take some time to populate it, but over time it could be pretty robust. Would something like that be feasible?

18 minutes ago, Jbbrack03 said:

Ok, how about something like this. What if we created a Community Metadata server for Auidobooks? Something where a user would have a toggle to add their created metadata for a book to the overall database that would then make it available to other users that add that book in the future. It would take some time to populate it, but over time it could be pretty robust. Would something like that be feasible?

Similar things have been suggested in the past but privacy concerns and our current policy of not collecting any information about your library will probably make us hesitant to create such a thing.  Not saying it is impossible, just not something that is high priority at this time.

Even though this would be "opt in" it has a far-reaching effect on many policy items with things like app stores (and our own policy of privacy).

Jbbrack03

I can definitely appreciate that privacy aspect of that sort of thing. And how data is used is a huge thing these days (with good reason). Do you have any solution for this problem? Audiobooks would end up being the only real media category in Emby that wouldn't have some sort of metadata source. It would be a nice thing to solve.

negativzeroe
2 minutes ago, Jbbrack03 said:

I can definitely appreciate that privacy aspect of that sort of thing. And how data is used is a huge thing these days (with good reason). Do you have any solution for this problem? Audiobooks would end up being the only real media category in Emby that wouldn't have some sort of metadata source. It would be a nice thing to solve.

The best solution would be to stand up a clone of TVDB (ABDB?), but that would require resources and the overall community to get behind it.

Jbbrack03
Just now, negativzeroe said:

The best solution would be to stand up a clone of TVDB (ABDB?), but that would require resources and the overall community to get behind it.

I'd be fine with being part of a community run metadata agent for Audiobooks. I'm not a programmer, so that's not an area that I could build myself. But I would definitely contribute.

negativzeroe

I would like to contribute too in between my other 4 full time jobs lol. Reddit would be a better place to gain interest though particularly in the subs related to TVDB and self hosted stuff.

Jbbrack03

I think that this could work out honestly. With how limited Audiobooks are within other media servers, there is a lot of interest. So if Emby implements this well, I think a lot of people would come here just for that. There are tons of complaint threads about Plex and about how poorly their implementation of Audiobook support works. Just bringing that audience to Emby would be significant. Seriously, if this Audiobook feature knocks it out of the park, then the folks that are using things like Plex or Booksonic would come running. All of the other existing implementations of an Audiobook server are lacking in big ways. So there's potential here to have people that would contribute to a database.

Edited by Jbbrack03

Jbbrack03
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Unfortunately, I think their terms take that out of play as well.

Well crap. I would agree that these terms seem to exclude what Emby does. The search continues...

dapper

Definitely would love this

I do use Emby for my audiobook library (just to store for offline downloading to play in a different audiobook app) ... but I feel like I spend more time curating/cleaning my audiobooks than everything else on my server combined

• Like 1

negativzeroe
10 hours ago, dapper said:

Definitely would love this

I do use Emby for my audiobook library (just to store for offline downloading to play in a different audiobook app) ... but I feel like I spend more time curating/cleaning my audiobooks than everything else on my server combined

Like the top post to vote. They cannot scrape but if something surfaces they will see that there is interest in building support for whatever comes to exist.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'm very interested in this project as well and will help in anyway I can. I'm working on my audio book library currently.

Looks like a few people have built audible scrapers.

https://github.com/elipickh/Audible_full_scraper

https://github.com/macr0dev/Audiobooks.bundle

I haven't tried this tool yet but it looks like it is supposed to match up metadata for you.

https://www.epubor.com/best-audio-tag-editor-to-edit-metadata-on-audible-files.html

BillOatman
On 3/12/2021 at 4:45 PM, ebr said:

Unfortunately, I think their terms take that out of play as well.

If it was done via a plugin, and the plugin worked with the free version of Emby?

adminExitium

Something to keep track of: https://github.com/djdembeck/audnexus

And the Plex agent for it: https://github.com/djdembeck/Audnexus.bundle (to see how the API should be consumed)

It currently does only Authors, but once they add full album support too, it should be a feasible alternative, depending on Emby's policy for using something that in-turn scrapes other sources.

1 hour ago, adminExitium said:

depending on Emby's policy for using something that in-turn scrapes other sources

It needs to be a published API with free access.  Is that the case?

adminExitium

Yep, it's a published API (with no docs however, since it's since under heavy development, hence the link to the Plex agent) with free access. If it does become paid later, I assume Emby can work out something similar to OMDb or TVDB?

It, however, uses the unpublished Audible API, which is what I was concerned about, but I think that isn't a problem as long as the scraping is not done directly by the plugin?

14 hours ago, adminExitium said:

It, however, uses the unpublished Audible API, which is what I was concerned about, but I think that isn't a problem as long as the scraping is not done directly by the plugin?

If the ultimate source of the data is obtained without the owner's consent then, yes, that is still a problem.  OMDb is actually using a sanctioned approach for getting its data.

adminExitium

Quoting from https://github.com/djdembeck/Audnexus.bundle#data-that-the-agent-brings-to-your-library

Data that the agent brings to your library:

Authors (Artists)

• High resolution image.
  • Text description/bio.
  • Genres
  • Sorted by Last Name, First Name
  • Combines books with multiple author into the first author, reducing duplicate author entries/pages.

Books (Albums)

• High resolution cover (up to 3200x3200).
  • Rating (currently based on Audible user rating).
  • Release date.
  • Record label (publisher)
  • Review (plot summary)
  • Genres and sub-genres:
  • Up to 2 parent category genres.
  • Up to 4 sub-category genres.
  • Narrator as Style tag.
  • Authors as Mood tag.
  • Series as Mood tag (prefixed by Series:)
  • Sorted by Series number and then book title.

Most of it can be done via tags but I very much doubt that all of it can be done.