Emby's mechanic's of adding new episode

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Well they push cached info so until they update their cache you do not get current information ever.  No provider is 100% live that I know of.  TMDB has a delay also.

At times there website and api results look like Trump & North Korean prez

Of course no provider will ever be 100% dead on. That should not stop them from trying neverthless

rbjtech

Ah ha - so that may well be why I seldom see issues - as I don't import/add the item for at least 8 hours after the d/l - this was to stop potential slow downs when creating the bif's but sounds like a good thing to as I then get a metadata provider cache refresh thrown in.. 👍     

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

Of course no provider will ever be 100% dead on. That should not stop them from trying neverthless

But that has nothing to do with Emby and everything to do with that Provider.  All Emby can do is request information and we get what their api gives up.  TVDB had been defective for YEARS with THEIR failed api updates.  So soon we have to pay for maybe a working v4 api.

Edited by Happy2Play

CharleyVarrick
51 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

It may have changed but looks like TMDB has a 8 hour delay for previous cache to expire.

Editing to database update time delay - Talk — The Movie Database (TMDb) (themoviedb.org)

TMDB for movies are batting pretty close to a 1.000 in my own experience

For their TV area the batting avg varies a lot; almost as good as #1 for some mainstream shows, not so good for others.

My modest contribution along with a significant push from existing / new users should help consistency for those TLC-lacking shows..

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick
47 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But that has nothing to do with Emby and everything to do with that Provider.  All Emby can do is request information and we get what their api gives up.  TVDB had been defective for YEARS with THEIR failed api updates.  So soon we have to pay for maybe a working v4 api.

We're saying the same thing Happy: I do not expect Emby to give me better metadata than the providers.

All I wish, just like the next guy, is that last year was a low water mark, and things will improve, instead of more expensive crap.

I also need to remind myself that hosting a movie website is not the same deal as a TV website.

Movie release is (mostly) one shot deal, a TON of data to add, slowly but surely (TMDB shows a metadata score for all its entries), The nice thing about that score is it will start modestly, but steadily increase (remember the movie with 168 listed actors).

TV is a different ballgame, almost as many yearly releases, plus seasons & specials, plus new episodes that pop out every week or so, plus different actors list from one season to the other, plus special guests. Did I mention last minute pushed airdate and covid delays. Pheeeewwwwww

Movie is like a baseball game,

TV is a baseball game + a football game + nascar racing happening at the same time and place

You have to be logged in to see it

image.png.692de1462af2a1b0951e69ac35cc2395.png

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

TVDB are a major PiA

Even with 2 Emby options* set to NOT display missing episodes, in the last week, I have observed  50%+ of my newly added episodes with placeholder (phoney) titles

TBA for the most part, and some like this: episode s01e06 EPISODE 6 (where all 5 previous show an actual title). Appalling.

If they wanted people to subscribe to their api, that's exactly what they should not do.

Everytime I catch one of these placeholder title, , tvdb website info is correct,

If I am patient (getting hard lately), proper title synopsis and all updates after 3 days or so.

*Library Advanced and Dashboard/Display

Edited by CharleyVarrick

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

Hi Happy,

Is there such info available on tvdb side ( I suspect not)

I'll looks some more, but as reported on other sights it appears to be 24 hour.  Now each api vs could be different for all I know also.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/95978-embys-mechanics-of-adding-new-episode/&do=findComment&comment=996323

CharleyVarrick

@GrimReaper76was suggesting a workaround,  that I use TinyMedia Mgr for harvesting metadata (and disable all Emby's built in providers.)

I have 2 issues with this plan, TMM is a pay app, and I suspect it still requires to pay yet again another extra, as TMM also need a tvdb api to work.

2 extras cost, and does that stop me from getting empty new episode info from tvdb? Why am I not convinced . . . 

I could copypaste info off one of the many TV website for free, at least that would work out 1st time around instead of 2 or 3 days later, and not cost a penny more.

Not so user friendly, of course.But paying and getting nothing in return makes no sense to me.

Happy2Play

Didn't know they changed to a licensed Pro version as I have not update the test version I have on my desktop.

But no program will get data any faster from TVDB unless v4 api updates are faster.  So all media manager will have this TVDB cache issue.  Sure there are different methods as mentioned earlier where a Series gets updated before the Episode as I have shown earlier via the v3 api, but it is still about the cache you are pulling from.

TVDB may have better metadata then the other guy but you will have to wait longer for it to be available.  Unless you are doing a copy and paste.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Thanks,

unless I'm not using the proper Search keyword, I am surprised to see little mention of my issue elsewhere.

I've seen the "tvdb api issue" ultra lenghty one, but it does not really mention what I'm dealing with day in day out.

As for TMM, this is what I see when hitting download

image.thumb.png.38691269a8c5d4d13c44b745e4d5137e.png

Happy2Play

TVDB has had api issues primarily since they introduced v3.  And would appear are having issues with v4 according to their post on Twitter.  Since they closed down their forum, everything is hidden behind their new support ticket system.

Due to a myriad of issues with the v4 API, we will be extending the cutoff date for all of our older APIs. The new cutoff date will now be October 1, 2021.

On that date, API access for all legacy keys will be removed, and a v4 API key will be the only way to access our metadata from that point forward.

Hopefully this extension gives our development community a bit more time to implement the v4 API before we sunset the old APIs. We are working hard to continue to address all outstanding issues on v4, and will continue to improve our documentation and technical support as well.

Some devs that still uses v1/v2 methods do have a little better results but in the end this is a issue they created and not much any software devs can do.

There really is no way around waiting on providers when information is not complete at the time you import a item into a metadata manager.  Sure items will eventually get updated but will require a item refresh to get new information.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Good info again, you are the Dan Rather/Tom Brokaw of media news.

(Just in case, this is meant as a compliment, and I just told you my age 😀)

As they say, this explains that. I am pretty sure closing the forum lost them half their user/contributor little bees, hence the issue with current shows.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick
12 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Some devs that still uses v1/v2 methods do have a little better results but in the end this is a issue they created and not much any software devs can do.

I do remember the good old days of v2 when tvdb was not yet a dirty word around here 😀

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick
On 3/13/2021 at 12:49 PM, Happy2Play said:

TVDB is some newspaper and Emby is the delivery boy. Say they print 1M copies, 3 daily editions; early edition, mid day and late.

TVDB produces first edition of the newspaper but half of those copies turns out completely blank, so delivery boy delivers some blank newspaper on his early run. Subscriber calls out delivery boy to let him know, delivery boy says: "give me a minute, I think I have some extra copies left, but wait, they're all blank too...You'll need to call newspaper customer service to get a printed copy...."

Subscriber call newspaper Saturday morning complaining "you've sent me a blank newspaper again" to which they reply: First, please note we do not deiver, ask your paper boy .And adds: This is really odd, as I'm looking right now at our 2nd  edition, and it looks all fine to me, we will generously offer you a courtesy printed copy of Saturday's paper to be sent out by Tuesday". Thanks for using our service, and please note your subscription rate will soon greatly increase, as producing newspaper gets very expensive;.Its Not like paper is growing on tree, ya know.

Subscriber: Can you assure me if I go premium I will stop getting blank newspaper delivered to my door 75% of the time?

Newspaper: No this is a separate issue, and from what we know, it affects only some of our subscribers, and only those that foolishly insist on getting the early edition, not a high priority to us.

Press 5 to unsubscribe.recording: The waiting time to speak to unsubscribe hotline is a year or two, please stay on the line, your call is important to us.

Or you can get premium sub, all premium sub upgrade agents available, no waiting. INSERT phone hanging up sound HERE.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

• 7 months later...
On 3/12/2021 at 3:40 PM, rbjtech said:

The fault imo actually lies with the MetaData providers.  If they need to name an episode 'TBA' then the record should not be available to the API.

Emby will just see this as the episode title - and thus it will not automatically update it unless you have turned on periodic metadata replacement - it will not even correct it using 'missing metadata' as it's not missing.

The way I deal with it, is use an import tool which delays the import until it has a name ... ;)

Capture.PNG

Sorry for digging this post but I was searching for "TBA" and this came up. What is that import tool? Is it on Emby Plugins?

Asking this because "TBA" just happened to me with the recent Narcos Mexico Season 3. All ep's are named "TBA" and I cannot refresh the titles (thetvdb already has the correct ones)

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, djhifi said:

Sorry for digging this post but I was searching for "TBA" and this came up. What is that import tool? Is it on Emby Plugins?

Asking this because "TBA" just happened to me with the recent Narcos Mexico Season 3. All ep's are named "TBA" and I cannot refresh the titles (thetvdb already has the correct ones)

Don't know when they were updated but it takes 24 hours for TVDB updates to appear on their api.

9 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Don't know when they were updated but it takes 24 hours for TVDB updates to appear on their api.

Me neither, TVDB already showing everything but still "TBA" on titles and there also was no synopsis until I manually deleted the .nfos and issued a "missing metadata scan" at season 3 level.

Moving forward I would like to clarify one thing, as in the first pages of this thread it is said "Emby will just see this as the episode title - and thus it will not automatically update it unless you have turned on periodic metadata replacement - it will not even correct it using 'missing metadata' as it's not missing."

Is this true? What I mean by this question is: using the "search for missing metadata" 48h after a show has been updated into the API will NOT correct things at the season level on Emby?

PS: And I also don't know (and would like to) where that option the user showed is. "IMPORT > Episode Title Required" 

Edited by djhifi

Happy2Play
21 minutes ago, djhifi said:

Me neither, TVDB already showing everything but still "TBA" on titles and there also was no synopsis until I manually deleted the .nfos and issued a "missing metadata scan" at season 3 level.

Moving forward I would like to clarify one thing, as in the first pages of this thread it is said "Emby will just see this as the episode title - and thus it will not automatically update it unless you have turned on periodic metadata replacement - it will not even correct it using 'missing metadata' as it's not missing."

Is this true? What I mean by this question is: using the "search for missing metadata" 48h after a show has been updated into the API will NOT correct things at the season level on Emby?

Yes as there is nothing missing since the title field is populated ie TBA.  So a Full Refresh would be needed to update the populated fields.

21 minutes ago, djhifi said:

PS: And I also don't know (and would like to) where that option the user showed is. "IMPORT > Episode Title Required" 

Emby does not have that option.  But assume it is in on of the *arr programs.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...