Sync Watched State between User

Nerto

Is there possible to sync watched state between Users.

I have a "home User" for me (user 1) and my girlfriend (user 2). I want, that if the "home User" watched a movie/episode. The watched state for user 1 and user 2 is also set to played. Is this possible?

Greetings and thank you for the help

Nerto

GrimReaper
28 minutes ago, Nerto said:

Is there possible to sync watched state between Users.

I have a "home User" for me (user 1) and my girlfriend (user 2). I want, that if the "home User" watched a movie/episode. The watched state for user 1 and user 2 is also set to played. Is this possible?

Greetings and thank you for the help

Nerto

AFAIK not possible unless doing manual sync via Server Configuration Backup plugin. 

There was something similar few years back, lemme find it. 

Edit: Here. Github link is from 2019, might as well be broken by now. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by GrimReaper76
Link

Gilgamesh_48

I believe Trakt can do what you want. It requires that each user be linked to the same Trakt account but I think it should work. Be sure to include a sync on startuo task to the Trakt tasks and they should also sync pretty often so that each user gets the same data as soon as possible after the other.

I have not tried Trakt to sync between users but I see no reason it should not work. There may be a small delay between the watching on one account and the updating of the other but you can, mostly, control how long it is between updates to each account. I know it works between servers using the same account and I think it should work between users on the same server as well.

GrimReaper

Never used any of those as there was no need, but simply thinking about logic of it: what does Trakt plugin do? Sync ALL statuses (Watched/Unwatched) or only Watched? Can it only append? Is there an option to choose? Else he might find himself in situation of having 2 accounts completely synced, i.e. having all the same items Watched/Unwatched in both of them? That would actually beat the purpose of having 2 separate accounts to begin with. 🤔

Edited by GrimReaper76
Typos, of course

Gilgamesh_48
5 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Never used any of those as there was no need, but simply thinking about logic of it: what does Trakt plugin do? Sync ALL statuses (Watched/Unwatched) or only Watched? Can it only append? Is there an option to choose? Else he might himself in situation of having 2 accounts completely synced, i.e. having all same items Watched/Unwatched in both of them? That would actually beat the purpose of having 2 separate accounts to begin with. 🤔

What Trakt does depends on how it is configured. You can sync watched and unwatched or you can, as I usually do, sync just sync watched. I also do not sync my movies as I do not care if movies get marked watched or unwatched. I figure if I do not remember watching a movie then watching it will be much like watching it for the first time. If it is new to me then it is new for all intents and purposes.

The only problem you may run into is that it is possible for timing to cause syncing to be incomplete. That is if A has watched a show and B has partially watched the same show. Then if B updates Trakt before A that episode may show as partially watched instead of watched for both users. This is controlled best by proper settings as to when an update of Trakt occurs and that is set by configuring multiple triggers in scheduled tasks.

While it is not perfect I have found Trakt to be quite satisfactory in keeping episode viewing synced between systems.

There are many settings for the Trakt plugin and it will require some experimenting to get everything perfect.

Note: be sure to correctly check the directories you want to keep in sync. It is an exclusion system any checked directory will not be monitored or synced.

• Like 1

roaku
3 hours ago, Nerto said:

Thank for all answer. I think i will try to write a plugin for this my problem.

You can write a plugin if you like, but I think the plugin I linked does what you want and the developer is still active here.

• 2 years later...
Yang_daily
3 年 11 月 2021 日晚上 9:40,罗库说:

如果你愿意,你可以写一个插件,但我认为我链接的插件可以满足你的要求,开发人员仍然活跃在这里。

I tried using this plugin and set up the synchronization information correctly in EMBY's interface, but it didn't work properly in reality.