About to start a small theater build

LiquidFX

LiquidFX

I don't have a dedicated room for a proper home theater so I just have to work with my living room. I don't plan on putting a lot of money into the build, around $3k, so I'm going to do a 5.1.2 system. The plans:

• stick with current Samsung 55" 4k TV
  • Denon AVR-X3700H
  • ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Bookshelf Speakers (front sides and back sides, I don't have a layout that would work with floor speakers)
  • ELAC Debut 2.0 C6.2 Center Speaker
  • ELAC Debut 2.0 A4.2 Dolby Atmos Modules
  • ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer

More info and pictures coming soon....

• Like 1

rbjtech

Nice.

'Try' and get the Atmos modules/speakers as high as you can  - ideally in the ceiling, with rear height (sitting position) as priority over front height.

Atmos modules projected from the front speakers 'work' but the sound is 'muffled' and certainly not directional from my experience. 

I've listened to a friends branded 'Atmos' setup using front projected speakers and was very underwhelmed - my setup using ceiling speakers totally blows it away for height 'presence' and 'ambience' - having ceiling speakers has made everyone jump out of their skin more than once .. haha.

Finally, with the Denon (nice AVR, very pleased with mine), it will play every HD Audio format you can throw at it :) - but you won't be able to get that from the Emby TV App via ARC or even eARC - so I would also budget for a Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro to directly connect to the AVR.

I look forward to the pics and updates 👍

LiquidFX

Yeah I plan to mount the Atmos speakers on the ceiling, front and rear speakers will all be at ear level. I use an HTPC so hopefully I should be ok. Thanks for the advice

Something I had thought about was Smart Lighting, controlled by one of the plugins... start a movie or media and automatically dim the lights..

You probably have a great AVR... I use a 5.1 harmon kardon, picked it up for about $130.. new.. mainly because of its frequency range output. I run audio through HDMI from my Dell 7040.. I don't currently have all of the speakers I need but I have two Sony SS-CS3's, I have seen people expand their systems to include four of these. ( currently map everything to 2-channel output ).

Always thought about a projector... I have seen laser based unit costing up to $5000US.. 😜

OH.. I almost forgot this looked fun.. Butt-Kicker

LiquidFX

Well I have everything ordered with the exception of the Denon, on back order.....

• Like 1

LiquidFX

Debating on which floor stand I should go with, the white or wrapped in a black wood grain vinyl. 

Floor Stand.jpg

rbjtech

Why not go with the ELAC speaker stands designed for these speakers ?

https://www.elac.com/speaker-stands/ls-80/

I don't know if these stands are custom made, made they look to be very susceptible to reverb/vibrations from the stands themselves - in other words generating their own (unwanted) sounds.

Professionally designed stands (with the tube filled with dry fine sand) are usually the best - all imo of course.

• 2 weeks later...
LiquidFX

Everything has arrive except the Dennon....A rather large stack of boxes are taking up a section of my dinning room haha

LiquidFX

Just got back from vacation yesterday and started putting everything in place today.

• 2 weeks later...
LiquidFX

Sorry, been kind of busy with taking a vacation a couple weeks ago then working a week and now back on vacation again. It sounds amazing to the cheap box system I had before, the wife even said it was worth it.

• Still need to cut out and refinish the lower shelves to inset the speakers
  • relocate the Atmos speakers higher up
  • some minor cable management 

PSX_20210414_130832.jpg

arrbee99

Much moaning in these parts about the Living in New Zealand tax. e.g. you amp is $1300US according to Amazon, here its $2900NZ. Looking at exchange rates and it should be $1700NZ here, add sales tax and its about $1960. So we pay $940NZ extra for freight and the privilege of local support (and cue lots of comments about 'but you also have to add this and you also have to realise that...)

So looks tasty but ain't happening round here.

End of moan.