What tags are used to populate the Album Artists view for music?

Deathsquirrel

Deathsquirrel

My Emby server version 4.5.4.0.  I've been doing some tag cleanup in my music and am running into some artists showing up in the Album Artists view that I can't figure out.

I've already pulled everything into MP3Tag and cleaned up the data for the AlbumArtist and MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID tags.  For example, on the Linkin Park single album 'We Made It' these are set to Linkin Park and the MusicBrainz ID for that band.  That album was a collaboration with Busta Rhymes.  Busta Rhymes is showing up in Album Artists though I don't own a single Busta Rhymes album.

What standard tags are read by Emby when populating the Album Artists view?

EDIT - Maybe this isn't a tag issue.  I do have the MusicBrainz and TheAudioDB plugins installed.  Would either of those override what I put in the tags?

Edited by Deathsquirrel

We should document this, but rule of thumb is we support what Picard writes, so yes, MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID is supported.

Deathsquirrel
39 minutes ago, Luke said:

We should document this, but rule of thumb is we support what Picard writes, so yes, MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID is supported.

Thanks @Luke, I assumed that was the case but then I'm still confused as both of the tags in question are correct.  I pulled all the Linkin Park albums out of my library folder, scanned the library twice, verified that Busta Rhymes isn't showing up in my Album Artists, put the albums back in, and scanned again.  He's back.

Busta Rhymes is in the tags as an artist but isn't listed in the AlbumArtist tags.  Why would he be shown on the Album Artists view?

Busta Rhymes is in the tags as an artist but isn't listed in the AlbumArtist tags.  Why would he be shown on the Album Artists view?

He must be tagged in at least one song somewhere as an album artist.

Deathsquirrel
2 hours ago, Luke said:

He must be tagged in at least one song somewhere as an album artist.

I hear ya, but unless there is another tag in play, he's not.  Here are screenshots from the tag editor to show what I mean:

image.thumb.png.6ec038731aa652399b7152612778136e.png

There are three songs in the folder in question.  These are the only three songs that are shown when selecting his entry in Album Artists FYI.  I've selected all three songs in MP3tag and you can see that there is a single value shown in Album Artist and MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID.  If a single song had a different value from the others then the field would say <keep, as it does in the Track value above.

The albumartist ID on musicbrainz points to https://musicbrainz.org/artist/f59c5520-5f46-4d2c-b2c4-822eabf53419, which is the correct band for my purposes.

I checked the extended tags as well and while both groups are all over the Artist-related tags, there aren't any other AlbumArtist entries.

This is happening with a number of my albums that involve collaborations so I'd love to figure it out.

PenkethBoy

did you edit the tags with the album within Emby or outside emby then added it?

i would remove the whole album - lib scan - check he is gone as an AA and not an Artist either - if he is still there then you have at least another song with him in

then add the album back - this can clear out issues in Stable

hopefully he will not come back

Deathsquirrel
Just now, PenkethBoy said:

did you edit the tags with the album within Emby or outside emby then added it?

i would remove the whole album - lib scan - check he is gone as an AA and not an Artist either - if he is still there then you have at least another song with him in

then add the album back - this can clear out issues in Stable

hopefully he will not come back

Thanks but I tried that.  I removed all Linkin Park albums, scanned my library twice, verified the artist was gone, added them back in, scanned it, and got right back to where I started.

PenkethBoy

try just removing the single album - to check if he is on another LP album - as he is there somewhere

Deathsquirrel
7 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

try just removing the single album - to check if he is on another LP album - as he is there somewhere

Good idea but no dice.  Remove the album and scan: he's gone.  Put it back and scan: he's back.

Deathsquirrel
5 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

can you show the extended dialog in mp3tag for the album

Here you go:

image.thumb.png.dacfa3380e7bc089a2f9d6e408d3f309.png

PenkethBoy

you have two mbz artist ids - i guess the second one is Buster

and two artist metadata tags

Edited by PenkethBoy

Deathsquirrel
1 minute ago, PenkethBoy said:

you have two mbz artist ids - i guess the second one is Buster

and two artist metadata tags

Yes but the question I've been trying to get answered is whether or not that should impact the Album Artists view.  I fully expect to see both on the Artists view...or would if I ever used that view.  On Album Artists I expect to see the value I've put in the ALBUMARTIST tag.  If the ARTIST/ARTISTS tags are impacting the Album Artists view then I'm pretty stumped as to why we'd even have both views.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Isn't that a defect in mp3tag?  As I see the same where Picard shows as one tag with multiple artist and mp3tag shows multiple tags.

But in the end it is what does ffprobe show.

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

Busta Rhymes is showing up in Album Artists though I don't own a single Busta Rhymes album.

Is this artist linked to their proper mbzid?

Deathsquirrel
4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Isn't that a defect in mp3tag?  As I see the same where Picard shows as one tag with multiple artist and mp3tag shows multiple tags.

But in the end it is what does ffprobe show.

It shows those two fields as one field with two values separated by a semi-colon.

Deathsquirrel
7 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Is this artist linked to their proper mbzid?

Tag-wise, yes.  The Musicbrainz_ArtistID value is 10a9ff92-9637-4498-afea-7044b2ab0dc0\\f59c5520-5f46-4d2c-b2c4-822eabf53419.  Those values correspond to Busta and Linkin Park, respectively.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

Happy2Play

So clicking Busta Rhyms in AA showing this album and is linked to the correct id?  But not seeing anything wrong in shown metadata.

Deathsquirrel
Just now, Happy2Play said:

So clicking Busta Rhyms in AA showing this album and is linked to the correct id?  But not seeing anything wrong in shown metadata.

Yes, if I click him in AA it takes me to his page showing one album and 3 tracks.  The MB artist ID takes you to https://musicbrainz.org/artist/10a9ff92-9637-4498-afea-7044b2ab0dc0.

It's the same view I get when I go to his entry under the Artists view too, which is what I would expect.

Happy2Play

All I can think of is MP3Tag is not seeing what ffprobe may be seeing.  As the images above do not show Busta Rhyms as AA.

But with all the changes coming in 4.6 this could be a moot issue in next release.

I have this release.. the initial thing I thought about is that these songs all credit as 'Busta Rhymes feat. Linkin Park' in my metadata. If your looking up all projects involving Linkin Park you would still get this result with Busta... I keep my tags simple ie.. see attachments.. The vinyl copy shows it as it was originally released by Busta Rhymes featuring.. In these instances the release credits go to the main artist.. If infact that information is being aggregated from an online resource, then it infact will still show it as originally notated. To change that you will probably have to strip tags out and enter in your own with art, if it does not find that information online then it will revert to embedded. If then embedded is referenced to gather metadata online, it will find the closest thing or use ID's and state it as shown online.

03.08.2021_170254.jpg

Edited by Guest
remove old attachments

the initial thing I thought about is that these songs all credit as 'Busta Rhymes feat. Linkin Park' in my metadata.

Yes in 4.5 if this has the same musicbrainz id as just Busta Rhymes, then they'll be lumped together as one artist. 4.6 will not do this anymore.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel
1 hour ago, Hxemby001 said:

I have this release.. the initial thing I thought about is that these songs all credit as 'Busta Rhymes feat. Linkin Park' in my metadata. If your looking up all projects involving Linkin Park you would still get this result with Busta... I keep my tags simple ie.. see attachments.. The vinyl copy shows it as it was originally released by Busta Rhymes featuring.. In these instances the release credits go to the main artist.. If infact that information is being aggregated from an online resource, then it infact will still show it as originally notated. To change that you will probably have to strip tags out and enter in your own with art, if it does not find that information online then it will revert to embedded. If then embedded is referenced to gather metadata online, it will find the closest thing or use ID's and state it as shown online.

Thanks but editing the tags is exactly what I DID do.  It just didn't help.

I'll wait for 4.6 to correct this.

Happy2Play

That is were this doesn't quite make since but it has been to long since I really did anything on 4.5.  This equals Linkin Park.  But physical MBZ metadata could be different, so provider data could be the issue.

mbz.jpg.c32afc59c99a7a40bf0a63a1f6367dcb.jpg

I would try to make a copy of the files and remove ALL metadata from all version of ID3 present or VORBIS...

Then come back and only type in your data without anything from online resources ( .. is what I meant before ) ....removing all of the highlighted areas.. to figure it out would be changing one at a time until you see it change in order to learn what it is using or referencing (causing the problem).

After copying/changing the metadata rename the copy as Linkin Park - We Made It, and drop it in then see what it does. I can see everyone of the areas I highlighted as being points of reference to Busta Rhymes, that could be used by the system to obtain as much information as possible to display the song or album correctly.

.. and I am assuming we are actually trying to remove Busta from the album artist listing, triggering it to be an incorrectly listed or customized listing, modifying the metatdata to display it that way.

image.thumb.png.dacfa3380e7bc089a2f9d6e408d3f309.png

Edited by Guest