Setting up split-tunneling on Arch with Mullvad VPN

takino07

takino07

Hello !

I use my system with Mullvad  and it seems impossible to connect to my server over LAN if the VPN is on. The best option to keep on using the VPN on my system and still have access to the server from my TV is to do a split-tunnelling. I'd like to be able to still use the VPN on the rest of my system when I want to access the server with my TV.  Unfortunately, I'm really bad with networking.

The VPN offers a port-forwarding option, and I've forwarded a port. Where do I go from there ?  Can you also tell me what I need to change under Emby's network tab ?

For reference, here is what I tried so far :

• Forward a port in Mullvad
  • Enable Local network sharing in Mullvad's app
  • Allowed remote connections on the Emby server and put the forwarded port under "Public HTTP port number". "Enable automatic port mapping" is unchecked
  • Add a redirect rule with 
    sudo iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport xxxxx -j REDIRECT --to 32400

(xxxxx is the forwarded port. I took this command from Plex with Mullvad guide.

• Tried to connect to emby with my TV with "VPN public adress:forwarded port" and failed

Thank you for your help, and have a nice day.

pir8radio
9 hours ago, Luke said:

@pir8radio have you tried this before?

On 3/8/2021 at 7:07 AM, takino07 said:

Hello !

I use my system with Mullvad  and it seems impossible to connect to my server over LAN if the VPN is on. The best option to keep on using the VPN on my system and still have access to the server from my TV is to do a split-tunnelling. I'd like to be able to still use the VPN on the rest of my system when I want to access the server with my TV.  Unfortunately, I'm really bad with networking.

The VPN offers a port-forwarding option, and I've forwarded a port. Where do I go from there ?  Can you also tell me what I need to change under Emby's network tab ?

For reference, here is what I tried so far :

• Forward a port in Mullvad
  • Enable Local network sharing in Mullvad's app
  • Allowed remote connections on the Emby server and put the forwarded port under "Public HTTP port number". "Enable automatic port mapping" is unchecked
  • Add a redirect rule with 

sudo iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport xxxxx -j REDIRECT --to 32400

(xxxxx is the forwarded port. I took this command from Plex with Mullvad guide.

• Tried to connect to emby with my TV with "VPN public adress:forwarded port" and failed

Thank you for your help, and have a nice day.

No, but lets figure it out lol..    So you have an emby server and you are running the VPN on that same server PC?     when its connected to the VPN, your local network can not connect to the emby server?   It should let you unless emby is only binding to the VPN adapter.    You can ping the server from your local network correct?  If ping responds, emby should.  Unless like I said emby is binding to the VPN only.     @Luke  Are there any settings in emby that binds it to a particular ip or device?   I thought the "Local IP" field only presented that local ip to local devices?  the web server should respond to anything hitting it though right?