Status of Live TV from Emby itself (intern)

Kodi_Newcomer

Kodi_Newcomer

Hello,

what is the status of the inbuild LiveTV function from Emby ? With direct tuning over a TV Card.

Greet's Newcomer

OK, we hope to be able to support this kind of card in future updates. For now you'd have to import it via a live tv plugin such as nextPvr or Tvheadend.

arrbee99

Am using that exact model and NextPVR v5 plus plugin to watch live TV at this very moment. Only a standard def signal, but what can you do.

• Like 1

Kodi_Newcomer

At the Alpha Testing section there was at last year a test for live TV with TV card inside emby, without 3th party Apps. I was in the Test. But now, there are no new News about the Progress. Thats because im asking.

14 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

Am using that exact model and NextPVR v5 plus plugin to watch live TV at this very moment. Only a standard def signal, but what can you do.

Being in the US and not having services like that to play with I've never seen this type of card before in service.

Any chance one day you would let me remote in and give me a demo/walk through of your setup?
This would be some great info to have and could be added to the knowledge base as people ask about this from time to time.

Spaceboy
38 minutes ago, cayars said:

Being in the US and not having services like that to play with I've never seen this type of card before in service.

Any chance one day you would let me remote in and give me a demo/walk through of your setup?
This would be some great info to have and could be added to the knowledge base as people ask about this from time to time.

:) these are what we use in the rest of the world. this is just a bog standard, common as muck tv card. my own are identical, also some very similar for aerial signals whereas these are for satellite. 

How many channels do you pickup via Sat this way?

Does the card use BDA drivers?

Edited by cayars

Spaceboy

yep, they are all BDA

satellite is a combination of encrypted and free to air. Back 10 years ago there was a way to use a card reader with your valid subscriber card to unencrypt the pay channels but people started sharing the encryption streams over the internet and eventually they tightened up the encryption. AFAIK it still hasnt been broken. about 1000 channels in all, maybe 700 encrypted and 200 FTA

then aerial is all FTA. the same set that is available with satellite, just some minor differences.

this is the UK btw.

So UHF OTA is roughly about the same channels for you as the FTA Sat channels?
Can you get a monthly subscription for the encrypted channels and record them?

Spaceboy

yes

only with a provider box

OTA is much more common. almost all houses have aerials.

Satellite originally was the upgrade to the premium channels but freesat (the provision of the FTA channels by satellite) is increasing albeit very slowly. you buy a tv with either a dvbT or DVBS tuner in, sometimes both

cable is the third option but that is locked to the provider box

arrbee99
8 hours ago, cayars said:

That can be arranged, should you so desire (unless you've got enough info off Spaceboy ?)

FYI I have that card in my main Ryzen PC. Its pci-e and is used for DVB-S in New Zealand. Here we have DVB-T, DVB-S and some iptv / On Demand. DVB-T is I believe hi def and the satellite standard def. Obviously I can only get satellite. There's Sky via satellite in hi def as well, but I'm too cheap for that.

I actually use the card with NextPVR, which works well. It gets the guide OTA (I presume) and adds mostly correct posters, and then via the v5 plugin to Emby and then to browser or Shield or FireTV. I generally Direct Play as I'm not into rewinding and pausing and stuff.

Its a twin tuner and NextPVR can play more than one channel from the same mux (or whatever its called) at once, so its pretty good really.

I did get some rather valuable info from Spaceboy on this but still wouldn't mind seeing it live/remote. Maybe even from both of you!
You just answered another question that I did have which is can you pull multiple channels from the same mux without using the other tuner.

The next version of Live TV (Next Gen) should be able to use boards directly via BDA drivers and not need other software.
Next Gen Live TV can use MUXES even in the USA with OTA tuners.  I've had 9 streams coming from my Quatro 4 tuner device!
It all depends on what is on each mux of course.

So if you are offering to do a remote with me I've love it.  Same with you @Spaceboy

arrbee99

Just checking now and am transcoding 6 channels in Firefox at the moment. I guess thats more NextPVR than the card though...

1222730711_NextPVR6channelsplaying.JPG.d07def3e01d06adbae46dbb5132b8d1d.JPG

Don't think I ever tried that with next gen TV though.

I can do a remote thingy. No idea what to actually do though.

Just let me know when you have some free time and can do a remote.

Don't worry about trying to "show me stuff" as I'll totally blow that anyway with questions or wanting you to show me stuff. :)

We can just work backwards from Emby to the tuner.

arrbee99

Now if you want.

Not forgetting I just use it, which isn't really the same as knowing what I'm doing.

• Haha 2