Black screen when switching back to Emby on Nvidia Shield (2019 Tube, Android)

renecd

renecd

When I switch to another app, say Youtube or Netflix, and then switch back to Emby I get a black screen.  If I kill and restart the client it connects immediately.   If i exit Emby before switching to another app, i.e. press back until "exit emby?"  the black screen doesn't happen when I switch back to Emby.  

I run the Emby server in Docker on my local network. I am able to find and login to the server with no problem from both the Shield, a Mibox4, my PC and my Huawei phone but I only see this problem on the Shield.  I've tried clearing the cache but it makes no difference.  What could be the problem?

Edited by renecd

Hi.  Can you please test if this is still an issue for you with the beta of the app?

renecd

I tried the beta version, and after a few quick tests it appears to have solved the problem, thanks.

12 minutes ago, renecd said:

I tried the beta version, and after a few quick tests it appears to have solved the problem, thanks.

Thanks for the feedback.

Excellent.  We hope to release the current beta in the not too distant future.  Thanks.

renecd

Actually, sorry to say that it didn't seem to have fixed the problem anyway. At least it still does the same thing from time to time.  
I think it has become less often, but I can't be sure of that. 

• 9 months later...
46 minutes ago, echoghost said:

This is still an issue. Has been for years, frustrating that it seems like it'll never get fixed

Hi.  Whatever issue you are experiencing is likely something different.  Can you please start a new topic and provide details?  Thanks.

echoghost

It isn't a different issue, it's the same issue that has persisted on android for years. If you guys used the android TV client then you'd see it yourself. 

I suggest maybe you guys should dogfood your clients more so you understand what customers are experiencing. 

I can confirm, it is the same issue still - and I also see it on my Mibox 4.  Not always, but very often.   A few times I've left it on the black screen and eventually after several minutes it would come up so perhaps some timeout or something.   I never see it on my tablet or phone clients, so I gotta agree with echoghost here, that it's something specific for the Android TV client.  Have you tried to test it? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, echoghost said:

It isn't a different issue, it's the same issue that has persisted on android for years. If you guys used the android TV client then you'd see it yourself. 

I suggest maybe you guys should dogfood your clients more so you understand what customers are experiencing. 

Hi.  Not only do I use it daily for my consumption, I also run and restart it many, many times per day in development and testing and have not seen this issue in a very long time.  So, whatever it is, is something rare.

The "black screen" is a very generic symptom.  It simply means the app crashed at some point in the past (while in the background).  The cause of the crash is what we need to find.  The next time this happens, please force stop the app and then immediately re-open it and send a log from the app.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
Sparker

This seems to only happen if I allow Emby to change refresh rate (stupid me enabled it again earlier this week) of content because I had it happen this evening with 4K UHD content. I had to unplug my Nvidia Shield Pro mso that it would show a picture again.

Needless to say I disabled the setting again.

Also when the Nvidia Shield Pro becomes unresponsive due to this bug the last thing on my mind is hurrying back to save logs. We provide these details in the hope that the developers try to reproduce it, but I guess you guys are on some magical build where it never happens?

Edited by Sparker

13 hours ago, Sparker said:

This seems to only happen if I allow Emby to change refresh rate (stupid me enabled it again earlier this week) of content because I had it happen this evening with 4K UHD content. I had to unplug my Nvidia Shield Pro mso that it would show a picture again.

Needless to say I disabled the setting again.

Also when the Nvidia Shield Pro becomes unresponsive due to this bug the last thing on my mind is hurrying back to save logs. We provide these details in the hope that the developers try to reproduce it, but I guess you guys are on some magical build where it never happens?

Hi.  This sounds like something different.  More like an actual display syncing issue where the box isn't unresponsive but just not sending the video signal.

Sparker
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  This sounds like something different.  More like an actual display syncing issue where the box isn't unresponsive but just not sending the video signal.

Yeah that's what happens, the screen cannot be woken again. I have to remove the power cable, wait a bit and then connect it again so the Nvidia Shield completely reboots. My TV does not support Dolby Vision or HDR Plus, I've often wondered if that was the reason. (Latest Mandalorian episode was the most recent to do this).

renecd
7 hours ago, ebr said:

I'm the OP of this topic. I still occationally have the issue, but do not allow Emby to change refresh rate, so at least for me that is not the cause of the problem.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I just posted about this, but wow, I didn't know this issue dated back to almost 3 years ago... Is there really no fix for this issue?!

2 hours ago, zigil64 said:

I just posted about this, but wow, I didn't know this issue dated back to almost 3 years ago... Is there really no fix for this issue?!

Hi.  The symptom "black screen" is completely generic.  Whatever issue you are encountering is very likely different from this one.

doubt it, as the issue described in the first post dating back to Mar 2021 is just like the one I am experiencing. I'll send the log anyway.

17 hours ago, zigil64 said:

doubt it, as the issue described in the first post dating back to Mar 2021 is just like the one I am experiencing. I'll send the log anyway.

Hi.  Since the specific issue in the first post was solved, I can pretty much assure you what you are experiencing is different.

Were you able to send the log?