Any reason why Fanart packs aren't available as installable Server plugins?

MKANET

MKANET

I wasn't able to find any of these fanart packs available in the list of Server plugins.  Is there a reason preventing fanart developers from packaging up their fanart customizations in the form of an installable/uninstallable plugin? Does custom fanart require manually hacking resources; which can't be done in automated plugin installs?  Anyway, just curious why; since, it's obvious much easier for new users to quickly try different fanart packs as plugins.

• Like 4

Cheesegeezer

I wasn't able to find any of these fanart packs available in the list of Server plugins.  Is there a reason preventing fanart developers from packaging up their fanart customizations in the form of an installable/uninstallable plugin? Does custom fanart require manually hacking resources; which can't be done in automated plugin installs?  Anyway, just curious why; since, it's obvious much easier for new users to quickly try different fanart packs as plugins.

This would be quite a nice feature, but we would need to enforce rules for artists creating the packs and then these would need to be moderated to ensure standardization across the board.

techywarrior

I think this would be a great feature to have eventually. I see some great work on the forums but I don't always want to spend the time to change every genre, tile, poster, etc. manually. If I could "apply" a pack that would be really cool.

it would also let some people charge for their packs, and give them more incentive to keep them up to date.

• 8 months later...
Tolerant

I was thinking the same thing myself.. why can't we just install a collection / theme of the art work instead of trying fo find it, hope it is still out there, figure out how to install it, and go thru all this hassle.. when it can be so simply packaged up and made available as just another perk and selling feature for this platform. What is holding anyone back from doing this?

shaefurr

Ya sounds like a neat idea, but for sure we would need some rules like Cheese said. There would need to be image sizing guidelines, content restrictions etc like TMDB has in place. We would also need an admin to review packs before they get added. The last thing anyone on here wants is a catalog full of garbage. Would love to see the feature though, would make my life easier. As it is if I add more icons to a pack no one gets them unless they grab an updated download, so would be nice to be able to roll out updates if thats possible too.

Check out the guidelines TMDB has in place. https://www.themoviedb.org/documentation/editing/images

• Like 3