XBox 1 to get DLNA

DGMayor

DGMayor

http://majornelson.com/2014/08/12/kicking-gamescom-2014-social-features-new-ways-watch-tv-usb-dlna-support-coming-soon/

• Media Player – a new app will be available soon that enables users to play media files from either an attached USB device or from a network connected home media server that supports DLNA protocols. The preview version of the Media Player app will initially only support USB devices, with DLNA support coming soon. Xbox One will support more formats than Xbox 360, including support for dozens of new file formats like mpeg 2 TS, animated gifs and mkv which will be added by the end of the year. See below for additional file formats.

Xbox One compatible file types

• 3gp audio
  • 3gp video
  • 3gp2
  • aac
  • adts
  • animated gif
  • asf
  • avi divx
  • avi dv
  • avi uncompressed
  • avi xvid
  • bmp
  • jpg
  • gif
  • h264 avchd
  • mjpeg
  • mkv
  • mov
  • mp3
  • mpeg 1 ps
  • mpeg 2
  • mpeg 2 hd
  • mpeg 2 ts
  • mpeg 4 h264 aac
  • mpeg 4 sp
  • png
  • tiff
  • wav
  • wma
  • wma lossless
  • wma pro
  • wma voice
  • wmv
  • wmv hd
Edited by DGMayor
  • Like 4

Deihmos

I see that the Xbox will also get mkv support but I don't have any interest in playing games anymore. If only Microsoft could update WMC for more formats.

TrackZ

My hope is that it is just a list of file types and not codecs/files mixed together. If it is just file types, then there's plenty of hope that vc1, truehd, dts and dts ma, and so on will work inside of the various file type containers.

The codec support is the big question now. The codec support via play to is extremely underwhelming on the Xbox One.

Edited by TrackZ

jhoff80

My hope is that it is just a list of file types and not codecs/files mixed together. If it is just file types, then there's plenty of hope that vc1, truehd, dts and dts ma, and so on will work inside of the various file type containers.

The codec support is the big question now. The codec support via play to is extremely underwhelming on the Xbox One.

That's what I was thinking / hoping for as well.

trooper11

I'm glad to see them starting to make up ground in this area.

Of course, once we get the MB3 app for the X1, we will be perfect, but having a built in app that can playback media locally is nice option to have.

I like the supported format list, but I need to hear the specifics about what exactly will work to know if it will cover all of my content.  I think the nice thing here is that since the X1 runs windows at its core, adding more format support should not be very difficult for them going forward.  It already supports more than the 360 did natively.