Subtitle support on Xbox One

neik

Hello guys,

what is the current subtitle support of the app on Xbox One?
Which type of subtitles can it play:

1. SRT?
2. VOBSUB?
3. PGSSUB, also dual-layer ones?

Unfortunately, the knowledge base doesn't provide much information on that, maybe @cayars could extend it by a subtitle chapter like it exists for other platforms.

Thank you!

I'd never attempt to document what each client supports natively vs server assisted transcode as that would get outdated quickly with each new client release.  I also don't have every client so I'd never be able to do it all myself. :)

But if you want to send me a shiny new Xbox One X, I'd be happy to do a one off document just for you.  LOL

It's documented for iOS, Android & AndroidTV so I thought it would be possible to do the same for Xbox.

6 minutes ago, cayars said:

But if you want to send me a shiny new Xbox One X, I'd be happy to do a one off document just for you.  LOL

Is that really necessary? You're working with the devs, they ultimately should know what their software is capable of... 😉

You're right the formats are listed for a few other devices but I see a few issues with a couple of them which needs fixing.
That's the problem with trying to track what is and isn't direct playable is that it can and will change over time.  For example on Android TV it depends on what hardware you're running, what OS version and what it's connected to (in case of external device).

BTW, I hope you realize the second thing about the xbox was just a joke, hence the LOL.

15 hours ago, cayars said:

You're right the formats are listed for a few other devices but I see a few issues with a couple of them which needs fixing.
That's the problem with trying to track what is and isn't direct playable is that it can and will change over time.  For example on Android TV it depends on what hardware you're running, what OS version and what it's connected to (in case of external device).

I guess you might be right with all those different ATV boxes out there but the Xbox One is a closed system and therefore should be way easier to document, right?
The devs should still know what subs are supported on their apps, shouldn' they?
Or do we need to go the way that I test it (as a user) and report back to you (not you personally but you Emby) what your software is capable of? Would sound strange to me...

15 hours ago, cayars said:

BTW, I hope you realize the second thing about the xbox was just a joke, hence the LOL.

Got it, don't worry. I know you just trying to help.. 😉

I'd do this for you but my son has my Xbox as his broke.  Once he gets the "X" I'll get mine back. :(

• 6 months later...
FrostByte

Doesn't the Xbox app still use the Microsoft media player within to play media?  I know Luke was talking about changing that here soon, but the formats supported would be the same.

I can say for sure PGS is not supported and SRT is.

Edited by FrostByte

1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

Doesn't the Xbox app still use the Microsoft media player within to play media?  I know Luke was talking about changing that here soon, but the formats supported would be the same.

I can say for sure PGS is not supported and SRT is.

Yes that is correct.

• Thanks 1

FrostByte

I know there is a chart on the Xbox website somewhere of all the codec and file formats supported.  I'm not seeing it right now though :(