Bug Report: Infinite Transcoding Job Filling System Drive

Wraith
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Hello,

I've noticed a recurring issue where my system drive seems to occasionally fill up with transcoding temp files. I had read through some forums posts with similar issues, but ultimately decided to just set a recurring task in Windows to purge the folder on a daily basis.

Anyway... today I was troubleshooting an unrelated issue and noticed that there was an active transcoding task that had been running for 17.5 hours and is still going for a single episode. I think something is bugged here and that's probably what keeps happening to cause the original issue. I checked the SSD (which normally had about 750GB free) and see that it's about 90% filled and the drive space is shrinking slowly as this thing continues.

I'm attaching a screenshot for reference.

System Information:
- Windows Server 2019 Standard version 1809
- Ryzen 7 3700X
- 32GB DDR4 RAM
- GTX 1050 Ti GPU
- 1TB Sabrent M.2 SSD (primary drive)
- 10TB HGST Helium10 HDD (media storage)

Please let me know if there is any other type of information you need :)

Transcoding Issue Filling Drive.PNG

Hello Wraith,

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

• Solution

Hi.  This is related to how playback is being stopped (or, actually, not stopped) on that particular device.  Either the person just turned off the TV and let the Roku keep playing indefinitely or they used the "home" button on the remote while TV was playing which then killed our app without any opportunity to tell the server to stop streaming.

We're working on improving the server-side detection of this situation but, in the mean time, the best thing to do would be to be sure and actually stop playback of any live TV on the device by backing out of it before either turning off the TV or exiting the application.

Thanks.

• Like 1

stevenism

Looks like the issue happens to Roku devices only. Was trying on iOS/iPadOS & Android & this issue does not happen.

Hope this issue can be fixed soon. Its hard to tell the kids to quit the stream before switching apps...