Which Synology to use

msloat

So on Synology which processor are the best at transcoding.  is the Intel Celeron J3455 Quad-Core a good system to have to allow for transcoding and will it help in the future?

FrostByte

I wouldn't get one with that processor as it's 3 years older and the GPU is designed for HD graphics.  Instead look for a NAS with a J4125 processor which has a UHD GPU and would do a lot better with vaapi and transcoding

Intel® Celeron® Processor J3455 (2M Cache, up to 2.3 GHz) Product Specifications

Intel® Celeron® Processor J4125 (4M Cache, up to 2.70 GHz) Product Specifications

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

and some benchmark tests

Intel Celeron J3455 @ 1.50GHz vs Intel Celeron J4125 @ 2.00GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

There have been a few people on here with J4125 processors that said they are happy with it and transcoding.

I have no need for transcoding so I went with the faster AMD, but it doesn't have a GPU so you wouldn't get any hardware assisted transcoding 

2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I wouldn't get one with that processor as it's 3 years older and the GPU is designed for HD graphics.  Instead look for a NAS with a J4125 processor which has a UHD GPU and would do a lot better with vaapi and transcoding

Intel® Celeron® Processor J3455 (2M Cache, up to 2.3 GHz) Product Specifications

Intel® Celeron® Processor J4125 (4M Cache, up to 2.70 GHz) Product Specifications

How fast do they normally convert a video?  

And thank you by the way.

and some benchmark tests

Intel Celeron J3455 @ 1.50GHz vs Intel Celeron J4125 @ 2.00GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

There have been a few people on here with J4125 processors that said they are happy with it and transcoding.

I have no need for transcoding so I went with the faster AMD, but it doesn't have a GPU so you wouldn't get any hardware assisted transcoding 

Would you suggest a pc or a synology for something like this?  I need to get something that I know is going to be powerfull enough to handle and transcoding from future hd videos.  Like when they finally get the ASTC 3.0 done.  Not sure how much more that really is to what todays res is.

Edited by msloat

and some benchmark tests

Plus I need to keep in mind that I will need something that can deal with 4 tuners at the higher res.  So maybe pc is better but I have heard synology can out preform a computer with the streams it can do.  I am not sure.

Edited by msloat

FrostByte
4 hours ago, msloat said:

How fast do they normally convert a video?  

And thank you by the way.

Everything I have Direct Plays using my nVidia Shield or Samsung TV apps.

FrostByte

A HTPC will always be better/faster if you have a lot of transcoding, especially if it's 4K to 4K.    And now that Emby is tone mapping HDR in transcodes you will want something fast if your movies won't Direct Play.