Multiple RPI's with Emby Theater

the3dman
Go to solution Solved by the3dman,

the3dman

For quite a while now, I used a single Raspberry Pi with Emby Theater as a DIY chromecast. I can even send/"cast" video or music to it from my phone using the Emby app. The single one was working so well that I decided to buy a second one for another place in my house. I got it all setup up and running logged into my Emby server and was able to start movies using the mouse. Then I tried casting to it the same way I do on my other one and noticed that the Emby app on my phone only showed the original RPI as an available device to cast to. It seemed like the server did not see the new device, so then I manually played a movie on the new one with my mouse and went into the server dashboard and noticed that it said the movie was playing from my original device which it wasn't. It was only playing on the new RPI. For some reason the server seems to think that the new and old RPI's are the same device or at least it thinks they are the same instance of Emby Theater. How do I get the server to recognize that they are different devices so that I can cast to them separately?

Edited by the3dman

• Solution
the3dman

Going to mark this one as solved. For anyone that has this same issue, you must update the hostname on the Raspberry Pi to be different on each device. The Emby Theater RPI image uses a default hostname so with more than one the network confuses them I you don’t update the hostname.