Looking for info FIre Cube 2nd gen

Myboredlife

Myboredlife
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes you can run the server on the firecube. Let us know how you get on. Thanks !

how i get on? Right know i am useing server on windows.. But i am looking for a new setup.. i have some ideas but have limted money.

10 hours ago, Myboredlife said:

Right know i am useing server on windows.. But i am looking for a new setup

Hi.  What are you hoping to gain by moving from a Windows server to the Fire?

Myboredlife
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What are you hoping to gain by moving from a Windows server to the Fire?

First my Laptop not the best 2nd I would hope that on the fire it would work fine in background and use Kodi..

I imagine your laptop is still a more capable computing device than the Fire but it really just depends on your content and requirements.  If you are using Kodi as the app, then everything should direct play and you should probably be fine.  

Myboredlife
17 minutes ago, ebr said:

I imagine your laptop is still a more capable computing device than the Fire but it really just depends on your content and requirements.  If you are using Kodi as the app, then everything should direct play and you should probably be fine.  

Thanks was just wondering if anyone used the server and new first hand how it worked..I when some stuff plays on the roku my cpu usage goes up on laptop where cant use it.. so was curious how would worked on cube. 

1 minute ago, Myboredlife said:

when some stuff plays on the roku my cpu usage goes up on laptop where cant use it.. so was curious how would worked on cube. 

You can certainly try it but I'd be surprised if the Fire were better/faster at transcoding than your laptop.  There will be no hardware acceleration available.  This is why I asked what you hoped to gain moving from a full-blown PC to a streaming device as a server.

Please let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Being able to use a Fire TV or other similar device as a server is more a niche setup.  While the software is basically the same, what it can do is limited by the hardware compared to what it can do running on a modern PC with integrated GPUs.

A setup like this is great for portable use like when you're going on vacation and want to take a few hundred pre-processed movies or shows on USB disc with you for entertainment.
Devices like this work well when you've made sure you media will direct play to other devices and not need to transcode.

However a Fire TV is not the best choice for using as your main server unless you plan to make sure you media doesn't need to transcode when played back.

Myboredlife
4 hours ago, cayars said:

Being able to use a Fire TV or other similar device as a server is more a niche setup.  While the software is basically the same, what it can do is limited by the hardware compared to what it can do running on a modern PC with integrated GPUs.

A setup like this is great for portable use like when you're going on vacation and want to take a few hundred pre-processed movies or shows on USB disc with you for entertainment.
Devices like this work well when you've made sure you media will direct play to other devices and not need to transcode.

However a Fire TV is not the best choice for using as your main server unless you plan to make sure you media doesn't need to transcode when played back.

So, if the File is in certain format it will work fine? 

It will work better more of the time but again depends on your needs.  If you're only using it for local playback and not for remote then mostly YES.

H.264 video around 8Mb or less, a 2 channel AAC Audio track (can be played on all devices), SRT subtitle if subs are needed.
That will typically playback on any device in the household with possibly a change to each client to raise the setting for resolution/bitrate.

Myboredlife
3 hours ago, cayars said:

It will work better more of the time but again depends on your needs.  If you're only using it for local playback and not for remote then mostly YES.

H.264 video around 8Mb or less, a 2 channel AAC Audio track (can be played on all devices), SRT subtitle if subs are needed.
That will typically playback on any device in the household with possibly a change to each client to raise the setting for resolution/bitrate.

ok, i figure something out.. just playing from lapto/server on same laptop or roku not always playing well with out freezing and HEVC to Roku is the worse

when you play back something on the Roku is the Server generating an ffmpeg log file?  If so upload it please.

Myboredlife
On 2/24/2021 at 7:54 AM, cayars said:

Do you think https://smile.amazon.com/pendoo-andriod-Android-tvbox-Mini/dp/B07PWZ3ZQK/ref=psdc_13447451_t2_B081RYDN6T would work better

2 hours ago, Myboredlife said:

Better than what?

If I were forced to run Emby on an Android box the only box I'd personally want to use would be the Shield TV Pro.

Having the built in HDD is going to help a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
Myboredlife
On 2/23/2021 at 12:24 PM, ebr said:

I have got it setup, and everything seems to work fine even with to streams going at same time.

Myboredlife

So, Noticed HEVC if playing on roku does not work right, either stops or needs remux is there way to fix this?

13 hours ago, Ronhardin3 said:

Is there a release date for the tags to be added to the Fire TV app?

Hi.  We hope soon but cannot say for sure.