What do you think is the best version of Linux for running Emby?

zachattack83

zachattack83

I'm sure that many of them are similar in most aspects, but after running my terramaster NAS, and their customized Linux version, I feel like its definitely not the best version to use.

With that being said, I'm replacing my NAS with a new server. I'd like set up a solid Emby environment on it, and have will have the option to choose the OS on which it runs. I think Linux would be the best in the end, but I'm not sure if any version in particular makes for the best performance / result. 

Thoughts?

Q-Droid

Pick from the more common distros on the Emby download page. If it's not listed there then don't bother. And should probably stay away from CentOS and Arch. 

They will all perform the same so the main difference is administration/management and size of the user base.

- Arch is a steeper learning curve for someone new(ish) to Linux.

- The CentOS project is shifting focus and moving upstream. It will lose the stability it's known for.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
negativzeroe

Use the docker image and you can use any distro.

I run Debian because it is the most downstream so I get like four updates a month on average so I hardly ever touch it, but also if it doesn't run in docker, it doesn't run on my server. 

Also, every distro has stable and testing branches, I've not had any major issues on Arch in the past few years that I've been running it as a daily driver on my laptops and I've been on stable branch. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_repositories

So in conclusion, one distro isn't any better than the other. The good thing about Arch, and I'm going to echo this video, as I imagine if you are self-hosting your emby, you are having to manage your own system so it's good to know how that system fundamentally works and makes things a lot easier to deal with if something does happen. Once you know what is going on, do whatever, wipe it and install Ubuntu. But now you are much more knowledgeable than you would be otherwise.

You mention the best performance, tbh dude Arch would easily have the smallest footprint because literally all that you would install is the base system, ssh, and docker. That's literally it. Enable the network manager and ssh services so they start on boot and set up your disk, run the docker image and you're done, run pacman -Syu once a month.

Edited by negativzeroe