TV Show Episodes Thumbnail (or lack-of)

CharleyVarrick
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

GrimReaper
18 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

I will let the other users with more pressing needs benefit from your invaluable help, one last* question though

Correct me if I'm wrong but is refreshing metadata at series level supposed to do anything about missing thumbs and/or missing actor pic.

In my case not.

Is metadata anything that's not a picture.

Is there a "refresh pictures" feature I'm unaware of (as opposed to metadata text)

PS: * I've been known to cheat about "last question" 😉

Refresh Metadada>Replace all metadata should, in principle, do as with any newly introduced item: populate all metadata fields, with the difference that for existing items, you need to give explicit permission to replace images - which, in general, in this context fall into "metadata" term and do get scraped upon initial scan. 

There is no separate "refresh pictures" task, that is only achievable throuhg refreshing metadata, being part of it. 

No worries, as I have no issues asking for assistance when needed, I just as well have no issues providing some if/where possible. 

Edit: You might try Library scan as well.

Edited by GrimReaper76
Typos, of course 🙄
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick
11 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Refresh Metadada>Replace all metadata should, in principle, do as with any newly introduced item: populate all metadata fields, with the difference that for existing items, you need to give explicit permission to replace images - which, in general, in this context fall into "metadata" term and do get scraped upon initial scan. 

There is no separate "refresh pictures" task, that is only achievable throuhg refreshing metadata, being part of it. 

No worries, as I have no issues asking for assistance when needed, I just as well have no issues providing some if/where possible. 

Edit: You might try Library scan as well.

I was wondering because in library options, I noticed metadata downloaders appears distinctly from image fetchers.

Series metadata downloaders

Season metadata downloaders

Episode metadata downloaders

Metadata savers

Series Image Fetchers +Fetcher Settings

Season Image Fetchers + Fetcher Settings

Episode Image Fetchers

GrimReaper
Just now, jlr19 said:

I was wondering because in library options, I noticed metadata downloaders appears distinctly from image fetchers.

Series metadata downloaders

Season metadata downloaders

Episode metadata downloaders

Metadata savers

Series Image Fetchers +Fetcher Settings

Season Image Fetchers + Fetcher Settings

Episode Image Fetchers

And it's a valid question. Just imagine that you might prefer description from one provider and the images from another. Or you want it in particular language that your preferred meta-provider actually does not provide. Or maybe you manually curate your content. Or download images. You surely wouldn't be happy with them being overwritten? Without splitting those options you'll be forced to choose one or another - and being unsatisfied with the compromise. Those options give you a lot more flexibility to tweak your content up to your liking. And they are respected upon selecting Refresh metadata. 

CharleyVarrick
9 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

And it's a valid question. Just imagine that you might prefer description from one provider and the images from another. Or you want it in particular language that your preferred meta-provider actually does not provide. Or maybe you manually curate your content. Or download images. You surely wouldn't be happy with them being overwritten? Without splitting those options you'll be forced to choose one or another - and being unsatisfied with the compromise. Those options give you a lot more flexibility to tweak your content up to your liking. And they are respected upon selecting Refresh metadata. 

It make a lot more sense to me now that you've spelled it out for me. We have a saying over here: "I'm a fast learner, you just have to repeat it to me many times" 🙂

As far as your suggestion to try a library scan, its in scheduled task (for me, daily @ 7:30am), and I must've initiated it manually a thousand time since using Emby, including 20+ times just in the last 3 weeks. I must be on tvdb's  blacklist by now 😜

Edited by jlr19
  • Haha 1

GrimReaper
Just now, jlr19 said:

It make a lot more sense to me now that you've spelled it out for me. We have a saying over here: I'm a fast learner, you just have to repeat it to me many times 🙂

As far as your suggestion to try a library scan, its in scheduled task (for me, daily @ 7:30am), and I must've initiated it manually a thousand time since using Emby, including 20+ times just in the last 3 weeks. I must be on tvdb's  blacklist by now 😜

Yeah, but with Screen Grabber now on top, it might (or might not) produce some thumbs, although I'm doubtful. 

CharleyVarrick
9 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Yeah, but with Screen Grabber now on top, it might (or might not) produce some thumbs, although I'm doubtful. 

Sorry I got you now,

there's only one way to find out for sure.TVDB and all, brace for impact !

I'll report back (in case you were wondering, which I doubt)

EDIT:

Do you advise I check Replace existing images option ?

Actually, should I pick replace all or search missing ?

Edited by jlr19

GrimReaper
15 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

Sorry I got you now,

there's only one way to find out for sure.TVDB and all, brace for impact !

I'll report back (in case you were wondering, which I doubt)

EDIT:

Do you advise I check Replace existing images option ?

Actually, should I pick replace all or search missing ?

That's easy: find two TV Shows with missing thumbs, choose one on first one, choose the other on second one, check/compare. If any produces result - apply on Library level. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Typos
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick

You're one smart cookie, unlike me.

EDIT:

Replace all apparently does nothing.

Search missing finds 1 or 2 of 10 missing thumbs.

At this point, it looks like I'm stuck with doing it the hard, tedious way; not per library, not even per show, but per episode.

This will not work with 55k episodes. Ah well 🕳️

Edited by jlr19
  • Haha 1

CharleyVarrick

I have 2 tv show libraries, main one for english show and a much smaller one for French tv show.

Not wanting to screw up the main library, I just tried something on the smaller french library with surprising result.

In library option, I unselected all Episode Image Fetchers and left only Screen Grabber selected on top.

I refreshed a tv show that had no -thumb.jpg in one of its season subfolder, and nothing happened in file explorer (here we go again)

Now the weird part:

5 minutes later, I then clicked on that season in Emby tv show page, and lo & behold, all missing thumb.jpg were instantly generated in file explorer.

As if Emby doesnt "really" request missing data until user tries to see it (if that makes any sense).

Edited by jlr19

• Solution
GrimReaper
59 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

I have 2 tv show libraries, main one for english show and a much smaller one for French tv show.

Not wanting to screw up the main library, I just tried something on the smaller french library with surprising result.

In library option, I unselected all Episode Image Ftechers and left only Screen Grabber selected on top.

I refreshed a tv show that had no -thumb.jpg in one of its season subfolder, and nothing happened in file explorer (here we go again)

Now the weird part:

5 minutes later, I then clicked on that season in Emby tv show page, and lo & behold, all missing thumb.jpg were instantly generated in file explorer.

As if Emby doesnt "really" request missing data until user tries to see it (if that makes any sense).

Do you have "Download images in advance" enabled in your Advanced Library setup? 

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Just to get an idea (I was gonna say get a picture) of what having this option now enabled does, I just ran a backup of my tv show pool.

In a mere 2 hrs, it already have 800 new thumb.jpg  and counting (the A-Z scan is just starting in the A's...

https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2019/02/19/19/45/thumbs-up-4007573_960_720.png

Edited by jlr19
  • Like 1