Edit Metadata dialog modification

GrimReaper

GrimReaper

FR out of the discussion in another thread, but actually belongs here. Original post copy/pasted:

"I'd definitely disagree with anything bypassing general Lock. However, I reckon that Metadata menu should be reworked there as those two sections - Lock All and Individual locks - atm, are kinda counter-intuitive and opposite to each other: Tick on Lock All means 'prevent' changes while tick on individual field means 'allow' changes. I think that that section should actually be renamed to 'Lock Individual Fields' and all checkboxes be off by default, as opposed to current 'Enabled Fields' (which is also an unhappy compromise, as all those fields ARE actually enabled at all times, one's just deciding about their content) with all boxes ticked."

Since both sections deal with the same mechanism, but the inverse-logic is applied, suggestion is for it to be streamlined/unified: On/Off in both occurences. In addition, it would considerably increase actually locked field visibility. 

To put things in perspective:

[Sub-section] 

METADATA CHANGES

- Lock ALL Fields

* Lock this item... 

- Lock INDIVIDUAL Fields

* Title

* Year

* Genre

With all checkboxes default to Off. 

Typing from mobile so limited on formatting, but I'm sure you got the idea... 

Cheers

Edited by GrimReaper76
  • Like 1

GrimReaper

THIS is what I'm talking about... Not intuitive. 

14 minutes ago, legrosmoi said:

Honestly, on those culprit movies, I wanted only to lock the name, but I ended up locking everything without thinking much about potential effect. 

I think we should get rid of the ability to lock the whole item as it doesn't serve much purpose when you can just avoid refreshing the metadata on it.

And then I would like to move the field locks so that they're right next to each individual field and probably auto lock as soon as you start editing one.

I think that would make things much more intuitive however some will only see like we're taking something away from them so it's just a matter of when I'm feeling up for taking that punishment.

GrimReaper
24 minutes ago, Luke said:

I think we should get rid of the ability to lock the whole item as it doesn't serve much purpose when you can just avoid refreshing the metadata on it.

Thank for the reply, Luke. And since you brought that up, while I can agree with the logic, current implementation simply doesn't allow for it, cases where Refresh Metadata is unfortunately necessary are quit a few, on top of my head: TBA Episode names, missing metadata, ratings, preferred meta-provider change etc... Or just plain experimenting - and messing up in the process. Best example: Ratings refresh. We have Task for People Refresh, we have Task for Subtitle DL, but Ratings - which DO get changed way more often then Ppl wiki - can only be updated through Replace all metadata. Waste of both time and resources and cause of potential unwanted changes. Locking completely populated and/or modified items IS a prerequisite on that one alone. I'm sure someone else would find some other reason, as well. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Typos

GrimReaper
Just now, Luke said:

Just don't refresh their metadata and you'll have the same effect.

Are we reading the same text here? That's the exact opposite of what I was argumenting above. 🤔

GrimReaper
36 minutes ago, Luke said:

If you lock an item then why would you refresh the metadata for it to try and get a new rating?

For other items? Unwatched? Those I'm unfamiliar with? As we have no internal rating system, for watched ones I assign my own rating - and if other metadata is populated to my satisfaction (which in general it is) lock the item afterwards. Single click. As opposed to unchecking all fields. As I've stated above "... and/or modified items..." 

Edit: I feel we are looking at this from two sides: you as a single item and reasons not to Refresh metadata on that item and not lock it, me on a Library level and reasons why TO refresh metadata on multiple ones and TO lock some items. Maybe I just didn't explain myself well enough. Whatever examples I've noted above, were with complete Library in mind and metadata refreshing on library level - and locking number of items within. Not single item. Why would anyone want to Refresh metadata on locked item? 🤔

Edit2: Hopefully now you can put in context: 

"Waste of both time and resources and cause of potential unwanted changes. Locking completely populated and/or modified items IS a prerequisite on that one alone. I'm sure someone else would find some other reason, as well."

Edited by GrimReaper76