How to use XBMB3C from outside of network

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

Hey guys,

I have looked all through the threads to see if anyone had my exact question and I couldn't find an exact answer. I think what I am trying to do is simple but I am missing something.

Here is the set up: I have Linux Mint installed on my laptop. I have installed XBMC with the plugin via downloaded repo. If I configure XBMB3C with the address of the computer I have MBS on and I am in my house on wifi, it connects just fine, plays great with no issues. The Media Browser server is on my living room HTPC computer running with Windows 8.

If I input my dynamic ip address I have via no-ip I get the "can't connect to server" error. I am very new to Linux and maybe there is a setting I have to create in order to use the dynamic address properly?

I am trying to set it up this way so that I can use my laptop outside of my network and access the server that way. 

I have not created a log yet in case this is something someone else just knows what I am doing wrong. Otherwise I can provide logs. 

By the way, if it matters, I can access MBS via Chrome browser on this same laptop using my dynamic ip address and play videos that way just fine.

-Jason

Vidman

Hey guys,

I have looked all through the threads to see if anyone had my exact question and I couldn't find an exact answer. I think what I am trying to do is simple but I am missing something.

Here is the set up: I have Linux Mint installed on my laptop. I have installed XBMC with the plugin via downloaded repo. If I configure XBMB3C with the address of the computer I have MBS on and I am in my house on wifi, it connects just fine, plays great with no issues. The Media Browser server is on my living room HTPC computer running with Windows 8.

If I input my dynamic ip address I have via no-ip I get the "can't connect to server" error. I am very new to Linux and maybe there is a setting I have to create in order to use the dynamic address properly?

I am trying to set it up this way so that I can use my laptop outside of my network and access the server that way.

I have not created a log yet in case this is something someone else just knows what I am doing wrong. Otherwise I can provide logs.

By the way, if it matters, I can access MBS via Chrome browser on this same laptop using my dynamic ip address and play videos that way just fine.

-Jason

I found that I had to disable smb in the xbmb3c options to play media outside of my lan Edited by Vidman

xnappo

Yeah, but sounds like he can't browse the library at all. Configuration sounds right to me. A log may help.

xnappo

jasonmcroy

Yeah, but sounds like he can't browse the library at all. Configuration sounds right to me. A log may help.

xnappo

Yes, when I use my local computer address, I can view, play, etc. with no problems. When I change the ip address to my no-ip address none of my folders show up on the home screen (using the Confluence Mod). After about 10 seconds I get the "url error: unable to connect to host". 

However, using the same laptop and the same no-ip address to connect to the server via my internet browser it comes up with no problems. 

Here is my log:

http://pastebin.com/sR9WgDS6

Thanks.

-Jason

dark_slayer

I'm sure someone more familiar with everything will take a look at your logs soon

In the meantime, how do you have your info entered into xbmb3c's settings?

I've been looking at setting this up externally as well. I have my 8096 port forwarded and ddns setup through my asus router. My browser address would be http://myusername.asuscomm.com:8096/mediabrowser

In xbmb3c settings I have the address entered as myusername.asuscomm.com and the port specified. I think I had that same error when I first tried since I entered http:// and tagged the :port on the end

xnappo

Your settings look right, it just isn't finding the server. Try:

1. Using your external ip address instead

2. Pinging the no-ip address from a command line on that box

xnappo

jasonmcroy

Your settings look right, it just isn't finding the server. Try:

1. Using your external ip address instead

2. Pinging the no-ip address from a command line on that box

xnappo

Ok, that is good to know that my settings look right at least.

1. I did try again and typed in my external ip address (I tried that yesterday as well) and I received the same results that I do if I type in my dynamic ip address. "Unable to connect to host" then it gives me the "xbmb3c script error" notice as well. 

2. I pinged the no-ip address and the results were fine. Here were the results:

64 bytes from Wireless_Broadband_Router (71.180.13.115): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.28 ms

64 bytes from Wireless_Broadband_Router (71.180.13.115): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.34 ms
64 bytes from Wireless_Broadband_Router (71.180.13.115): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=1.35 ms
64 bytes from Wireless_Broadband_Router (71.180.13.115): icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=1.37 ms
64 bytes from Wireless_Broadband_Router (71.180.13.115): icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=1.32 ms
64 bytes from Wireless_Broadband_Router (71.180.13.115): icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=1.34 ms

For fun I also pinged my external ip address and my router with the same results above.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

-Jason